• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

SOLD - Must sell my 2002 sprinter van immediately

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarmonicaBruce

Reaction score
It's located in Saline, Mi.  I'm asking 2500, but I'll take the best offer.

It runs great.  High roof, ext length, lots of little things wrong with it, 400k miles.

MUST SELL NOW!

HarmonicaBruce said:
It's located in Saline, Mi.  I'm asking 2500, but I'll take the best offer.

It runs great.  High roof, ext length, lots of little things wrong with it, 400k miles.

MUST SELL NOW!

Here's some details:
It's a 2002 freightliner, one of the first brought over, started as a fed-ex van.  I bought it with 315,000 miles, it has 400,000 now.  It has rear windows and sliding door windows, high roof, long wheel-base.  It has 15 inch wheels as did all the early 2002 models.

The good:
It runs great, new tires, new battery, water pump, egr valve, oil always changed with mobil 1 (since I owned it), new tires, comes with about 12 extra oil / fuel / air filters and 12 qts mobil 1 0w40.  It doesn't have extensive rust, I've kept up on it.  The roof doesn't leak, I used JB Weld to fix the roof seams a few years ago and it works great, I've camped in the van the last few years.

The bad:
Lots of little things wrong with it.  Tail light lens broken (have new lenses), a/c doesn't work, radio broke, passenger window doesn't work, sliding door handle broken.

Thats about it!

Someone really should buy this van, it's a great deal.  With a little TLC I believe she's ready to go another 100,000 miles.

If I have to, I'll take $1,000, possibly less.  The tank will be full of legal diesel ($100 value).

Everyone should jump on this. That's a great deal for a sprinter. A part time person could deal with the little
Issues.

If I hadn't bought my van already I would take you up on this one. Good luck.

This is weird.  I put an ad in the local (Detroit) craigslist, and a guy from Portland Oregon wants to fly here and pick it up.  Is this some kind of scam?  Why would a guy fly from Portland to Detroit for this van?  He wants me to promise to hold it for him, says he'll have cash, wants me to pick him up at the airport.  Sounds kind of weird.

HarmonicaBruce said:
This is weird.  I put an ad in the local (Detroit) craigslist, and a guy from Portland Oregon wants to fly here and pick it up.  Is this some kind of scam?  Why would a guy fly from Portland to Detroit for this van?  He wants me to promise to hold it for him, says he'll have cash, wants me to pick him up at the airport.  Sounds kind of weird.

That's a good deal on a high top sprinter. I looked seriously at them before buying my current van (Dodge high top) and was ready to pay 5-6k for something with just a little bit less miles/fewer issues than yours. I'm from Vermont and I was looking within 400 miles. I didn't quite find the deal I wanted after looking for several months and then this Dodge came along.

HarmonicaBruce said:

Seems strange and if he really is serious do you have a way for an online deposit? Also I'd deal with him in front of a police station. 
No doesn't seem right. I can't see your van being that great of a deal. 
Maybe it is IDK. 

Just be safe Bruce. 

Mike R

Hmmm.. that is kind of weird. I wonder if it's related to what happened to us when we put our RV on Craigslist in Seattle. This was in 2010. The RV was a little 1996 class C , a unique model, in very good condition with high mileage, over 320,000 miles. A guy saw it, liked it and put money down. We made plans to meet in a parking lot the next day for the final exchange of money and papers. While we were waiting two SUVs pulled up and all of group of men piled out. They identified themselves as Roma and car dealers from Portland. ( some Roma were horse traders traditionally and now deal with vehicles) They offered us more money than the original man and kept upping the offer until it was 30% higher. We didn't accept because we had already promised it to the first man.

Fast forward two years and our RV popped up on Craigslist. It now had less than 100,000 on the odometer and was for sale at double the price that we sold it for. I tried to warn people but it sold really fast.

Show up to sell it with title and the Iranians decide to steal it before you can time travel away. Oh wait that was Back to the future movie. --- insist cashier check at your bank. You will sign the title there. Or the police station.

Also remember that you have a positive reputation Bruce. You are not selling something with a known lemon problem. That's worth a lot.

Good luck.

I sold my class b via email & deposit to my PayPal account - they flew from Calgary to Boston to drive it back to Canada - no keys or total until I saw the wire transfer to my bank - we sat in front of my house waiting for it to show up. It was on Craigslist for only 2 hrs

Wow Bruce nice deal!
I wish I was closer to ya , I've been thinking about getting a new shell to move all my class C systems into :idea: popeye the hermit crab :cool:

HarmonicaBruce said:

Let me say this. The van I really want is in Texas. If I could fly out there, get it and bring it back I would. I am just unsure about tag issues.

http://mcallen.craigslist.org/rvs/5053903791.html

Have a good buddy backing you up for the sale.  Cash is good.  I once provided backup for a buddy selling two motorcycles the same day.  Drove halfway to meet both buyers in another town.  My buddy used his netbook to access his paypal account to verify the money hit his account before signing them over.  The buyers used it to access their paypal accts to make the payments.  All parties parted happy.

HarmonicaBruce said:

Doesn't sound odd to me.  Maybe those are really hard to find in Portland.  I know lots of people who have travelled great distances when they found a motorcycle they wanted in another state.  

I never hold items for people.  Too easy to miss out on potential buyers while you wait for the promised purchase.  Then the guy backs out and you just got screwed out of selling to someone else.  

If he could wire you money to hold it, OK, but set a finite amount of time he has before he forfeits the deposit, and get it in writing.  Then set the meet for somewhere public and bring a couple of friends with you.  You never know how many people the buyer will show up with.  Always nice to have backup.

Well, I googled his phone number, it's a new york number and he lives in portland, and it looks like he's a phd.  I found his resume.  So I'm going to pick him up at the airport tomorrow at 7:15, he'll have cash, I'll take him to the secretary of state so he can get temporary tags and I'll get cash.  If I don't post here within a few days, send out the search party!

I picked up my buyer from airport too & I wasn't concerned based in upfront deposit & emails

HarmonicaBruce said:
Well, I googled his phone number, it's a new york number and he lives in portland, and it looks like he's a phd.  I found his resume.  So I'm going to pick him up at the airport tomorrow at 7:15, he'll have cash, I'll take him to the secretary of state so he can get temporary tags and I'll get cash.  If I don't post here within a few days, send out the search party!

I wouldn't be worried. He's getting a decent deal and it's not that odd to travel for it (plane ticket = ~$400 on top of his purchase + fuel costs to drive the van back, not that bad). Just make sure his money isn't printed on photo copy paper.

TMG51 said:
Just make sure his money isn't printed on photo copy paper.
I'm not too worried about that, I know the VIN of the van.  He doesn't want the secret service on him for an old van.  

I'm just glad someone will get to use it.  She's been a good van.

It's sold. The guy flew in, I picked him up at the airport. He was a bit eccentric you might say. I offered to top off the tank with legal #2 diesel and he said no, he only uses vegetable oil. He had some lined up in the next town over. I don't know how it's going to run, but not my problem.

Latest posts