solar set up help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outermostsoul

Reaction score
A guy finally came to look at my shore power failure- 6 tries until a person actually showed up.  The 72 vintage trailer shore power is fixable, might even not cost too much, but the electrician has worked on the landlord's property and the real upgrade is needed in the overloaded panel in the barn I plug into.  I love where I am and even when I am free to travel this will be my warm weather home.  I need to go solar.  My essential power needs are the 3 vent fans that need to run a lot in warm weather. One is the MAXX manual exhaust only fan and two are cheaper little vent fans. I am going to convert my rv fridge to an rv icebox because I can use the shop freezer to rotate frozen  milk jugs  as needed.  Lighting I can cover with my Luci light and my battery touch lights.  Cooking and heat will be propane.  What do I need for a three vent fan system and maybe some phone charging and light computer use.  I will buy a 12 volt adapter for the computer to cut power needs.  My trailer is in full sun and I have plenty of space for ground panels- a 10x10 dog kennel with flat roof is right next to my spot.

My trailer is an Airstream so the rounded roof isn't the best  for securing panels.   I am mechanically challenged and need an idiot proof system.  I am leaning to a portable system because I then can take it with me when I go camp in the truck and topper as well.

It sounds like you are on the right path to finding some good solutions.

outermostsoul said:
What do I need for a three vent fan system and maybe some phone charging and light computer use.

Are the fans 12V or 110V?
Do they have labels where Volt (V), Amp (A), Watt (W) or VA is mentioned? And if so, what does it say on the labels?

Are you aware that it is possible to connect several solar systems to one battery/battery-bank?

So you could possibly start out with one portable solar system, and if that turns out to not be enough, then you could simply get one more portable/suitcase solar system.

MrAlvinDude said:
It sounds like you are on the right path to finding some good solutions.

Are the fans 12V or 110V?
Do they have labels where Volt (V), Amp (A), Watt (W) or VA is mentioned? And if so, what does it say on the labels?

Are you aware that it is possible to connect several solar systems to one battery/battery-bank?

So you could possibly start out with one portable solar system, and if that turns out to not be enough, then you could simply get one more portable/suitcase solar system.

All three fans are 12 volt.  I bought a 110 to 12 volt adapter and a cigarette plug connection and tested the MAXX fan to make sure it worked .    It worked fine using a single extension cord coming in the window.  I like your portable first idea  and will look in that direction.   The MAXX fan info was 4 amps running and 9 amp start up.  I had nothing on the other two fans but those little motors looks much smaller than the MAXX.   I bought the 2 vents boxed up I only paid 25 each and was surprised to find they had built in fans.  I set them up with the little fans in front and rear vents and the MAXX exhaust fan in the center vent of the trailer.Thanks

So the MAXX fan typically uses 48 watt.

I find this number from your information, as Amp x Volt = Watt, so the fan running at 4 Amp and 12 Volt makes: 4 x 12 = 48 Watt

Regular charging of a phone is typically about  5V and 1 to 2A  = 5 to 10W - while it is charging.

Some modern phones can however do a fast-style charging and they might then be using 20W - while they charge.

A laptop computer typically uses 10 to 35W while being used.

If the laptop is both being used - and - the battery is being charged, then the Watt usage can be about twice those numbers.

I mention these watt numbers, as they can be used to give you some level of guessing and indication of the size of solar panel you might be able to get away with.

So a 100W panel is likely to keep the fans running - while the sun is good!
A 200W panel is likely to keep the fans running (and then some) so long as there is any sun.

If you are only running during the day you don’t need a battery, or can use a smaller one. I charge my laptop, a relatively big use, in the afternoon after peak charging.

A good controller, like the Victron, is worth it just for the info it provides on real world solar, device usage, and battery acceptance.

I have a 100 watt fixed with a 50 watt portable that I set out as needed and convenient.

You can sometimes get surplus solar panels on Craigslist. These may be too large for a RV as they are made for houses and commercial installs. Also check their voltage output. The ones with high voltage output may need an expensive controller. Here are some examples from my area https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/for/d/las-vegas-250-watt-solar-panels-poly/6942075364.html
https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ele/d/lucerne-valley-330watt-sunedison-solar/6928832329.html
https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ele/d/lucerne-valley-305-watt-canadian-solar/6950207222.html