Solar Panels on the dash

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony's Dream

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying solar panels to power a 12V fridge while I am parked and hiking. A lot of people have them on the roof or set out panels when they are stopped. Can I put a solar panel on the dash in my locked vehicle, then face the vehicle into the sun?

Yes but it will not be as effective for incoming power as using them out of doors without the windshield in front of the panels. Also you could create excess heat on the panels doing it that way.

I'm thinking about buying solar panels to power a 12V fridge while I am parked and hiking. A lot of people have them on the roof or set out panels when they are stopped. Can I put a solar panel on the dash in my locked vehicle, then face the vehicle into the sun?
I just read a warning about that today. I'm ordering so much stuff from Amazon that I can't remember which gadget said that. But it said not to place it on your dash to charge. Funny, because I always put my Luci lights on my dash facing the sun. Think it was my solar crank weather radio:)

I thought it might get too hot too, that is why I asked. Just thinking out loud and trying to avoid any issues.

Of course you would be hoping that a solar panel in the front window would be a viable solution. We all like quick and easy solutions that exactly meet our needs. But they surely do seem to be a rare find 🙂

Yeah, ths is not really a goer. Especially for a fridge.

There is one thing I've done which really is the quickest easiest, cheapest reasonably low cost way to install solar panels.

Look for ETFE encapsulated flexible solar panels. These are far more durable and longest lasting of all the flexible solar panels. Do not use PET encased solar panels.

Clean said roof with dishwash and warm water. Finish with methylated spirits.

VHB tape the edges of the solar panels (I've done 100w solar panels like this). You might need to drill or pry out any rivets so you get a good bond in the corners. You'll need to be really accurate putting the panels down. If you plan to do more, leave space for them.

The trickiest part is finding somewhere to route the cables into the cabin/shell/whatever. I'll never put a hole willingly into a roof unless absolutely necessary. I've generally gotten by in the last three installations by reusing an antenna hole. I cut off those MC4 connectors and solder with hot melt glue and heatshrink. Tidier and less fugly.

Profit with solar!

I've had good luck with small solar items, like a Luci Light or a cell phone charger, in the front windshield while I have been driving. I would be a bit hesitant to try a full solar panel for a long period away from the vehicle.