solar panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulsatraveler

Reaction score
I have not added up my daily electrical need, but I have a small air conditioner in a window here in my condo, and i want to see if I cant install it in my van (that i think I will buy tomorrow).  I am thinking of buying the 400 watt starter set from Amazon.  Then i am thinking that if I need more panels (after I do a complete survey of my daily needs) I will buy the free standing panels that you can move out away from your van. What do YOU think of that idea.  Wait, that may mean I need to have a bigger controller, and I'm not sure an inverter comes with that Amazon set, so my initial buy can include an inverter that will cover the AC demand.  I have a wild idea to mount the air conditioner in it's own insulated cabinet (part of the cabinets along the wall of the van) and vent it out of a hole in the side of the van with a "screen"  over the hole.  I am wondering if the heat will build up in the cabinet too much to create a fire hazard.  Any thoughts?  Maybe I could line the cabinet I install it in with metal.  BTW I think I will only be "semi" stealth and stop in "semi" stealth overnights.  I'm looking at a Ford e-350 extended so I'll have acres of room on my roof, I could easily put 4 panels (6 panels - wow) on my roof.  I've been so excited looking at this site that I haven't thanked everybody, from administrators to  Cousin Bob Wells to all of you - us, that write in with their ideas and suggestions.  Boy-oh-boy so much help and suggestions   it's great and THANK YOU all.   Gene   Wells