Solar Panels as window awning?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corky52

Reaction score
I've been looking at putting awnings on the driver side windows of my rig, though is crossing my mind of building supports and using solar panels to block the sun, any comments?

Corky

As long as you can always park with your driver's side facing the sun. Awnings slope downward, not upward. Ours are on the roof, and we always park facing east, when feasible, to keep the AC from casting a shadow on the panels.

What would work best would be a flex panel.  But do you want to spend $250 on a window shade?

You will have to keep moving it around, and the chance of damaging it and the connections go up with every time it gets moved.  My 2 cents is to mount a panel flat, and set up a tarp.

If I had to park in the sun for power, I believe I would make do without power.

I would use a hand held, non powered fan before I would park in the sun.

I would give up my laptop before I would park in the sun.

Having power is a luxury I would do without if I had to park in the sun during the summer.

I think it's a good idea just as long as your not doing any off roading on unimproved roads. It wouldn't take long for me to tear those right off the side. the sides of my truck is desert pin stripped. highdesertranger

mobile beach house (800x600).jpgSometimes there is fun to be had in the sun!  I just bought this shade cloth tarp to use at the beach to shade the sun facing side of the van.  It is clipped to the drip rail with 1" clamps from Home Depot and can be moved around the van if I choose.  I like it better than the RV awning that is there because if a storm blows up before I can get to the tarp, it won't damage my van like the awning could.  Plus, I can configure it however I want.  Also, the shade cloth doesn't flap like a regular tarp or the awning does in the wind.

The solar panels as an awning is a good idea also.  There was a featured posting about it sometime.  Maybe in the solar section.

Attachments

• mobile beach house (800x600).jpg
    mobile beach house (800x600).jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 11
HDR,
I plan at this point to make the brackets and panels easy to put on and take off, while moving there would just be mounting bolt places.  The way I travel I usually setup and stay for awhile, I currently put the panels out on ground stands right now.

Corky

that would work. I thought you where going to leave them on the sides like folding up and down. I have thought of this too. highdesertranger

Corky and HDR
I had a similar thought after seeing this solar installation,
https://strollingamok.wordpress.com/2013/06/05/solar-of-the-absurd-2/
But i am on the fence with this one , pondering the pros and cons for a few months now

the best solution , if t could be found would be to leave the panels on the side during travels and be able to cover them with padded protection made out of dense thin foam and a rugged fabric and when you are getting into a very tight situation then you could remove them and store inside

even lift them up with a gas cylinder on quick disconnects

And when parked in the shade for a longer period of time disconnect them and put them on a stand, i liked the idea of the extension cord and plug use for this -mentioned in a previous blog from Bob

I will have to make this decision soon , before i start assembling the inside skin and insulation

Michael

ever seen a front (rock guard)  on a travel trailer--- they have a set of adjustable brackets---that kind of a set up would be very good idea.
sparky1 in southern va.

Using the smaller panels as sun shades is a good idea. I have been considering this as a way to augment my 145W roof mount panels with the little 15W Harbor Fright panels, attaching them to the roof side and swinging up on the driver's side. Of course, parking direction will determine their effectiveness. They could also be removed to use remotely, when parking in the shade, and only needing to keep the small devices charged. Be a good way to top off the Jumper Pack.

Latest posts