Solar mount class c

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My “local supply yard” is usually a dumpster with an old bed frame sticking out! Lol!!!

I got a stud finder to try and find the beams and that thing is going off whenever it feels like it. I don't know what to do. I don't want to poke too many holes in the roof

VHB tape? I've never used this stuff but it's looking like my only option. I have commercial size panels. This worries me. Plus the fiberglass is the honeycomb type. Looks so fragile.

I took apart a light to see what was in the roof. It was filled solid with syrofoam insulation. I seen another piece of aluminum frame. That's my only option. I have to mount a bolt through the aluminum frame. But I can't find it. Ugh

You need to measure from a known point on the roof.

Example,
At the roof vent pull the inside trim off.
Then you should be able to pull down on the ceiling just enough to peak in there.
Then take a tape measure and measure from the aluminum rafter to the roof vent.
Now you can go outside and transfer that measurement to find your rafter.

Highdesertranger

Is there a seam or trim strip on the ceiling? There are usually trim strips or capped screws that hold the ceiling up screwed into those beams. How about posting a picture or two of the ceiling and vent.

Can't see much because the aluminum studs are in the way

Attachments

• IMG_20210312_130410648.jpg
    IMG_20210312_130410648.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210312_130421534.jpg
    IMG_20210312_130421534.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
I think I would contact the manufacturer or possibly their club or group forums. Usually they have a picture or diagram touting their manufacturing specs as in the distance between roof supports. There should be possibly a thermal bridge or temperature difference where the beams are. You might be able to see a pattern with a digital thermometer.

What about this VHB tape stuff. If I run aluminum angles with VHB tape across the roof and then mount the racking to it, would it work? I have a full size commercial panel. I want to get like 4in clearance for the fantastic vent. Will that stuff hold up to the wind pressure?

"Will that stuff hold up to the wind pressure?"

Couple of points about VHB tape,

It must be installed perfectly or it will fail.
There are about a zillion different types. you need to pick the best one.
The tape will not work on a rubber roof. or any roof with flex I would be hesitant.
That is what they used to attach the side panels on my trailer it has already failed in two areas.

Highdesertranger

I feel like I'm doomed. I had 3 375w panels and 2 battleborn on my old van. This sucks.

Okay I know this isn’t ideal but I mounted my 305 watt panel on the rear of my trailer. It is hinged at the top. When parked I use adjustable painter’s poles to get the perfect angle for winter sun. Actually makes a nice awning. When traveling it is bolted down at 90 degrees to the ground. I assume you have a rear bumper and maybe even a ladder. You could have a bumper rack made to hold the panels and simply pivot them up with an adjustable support when parked. Just something to consider as I absolutely hate putting holes in a perfectly good roof. Another more risky and less wise solution would be since you already have an awning rail on the driver’s side, it is just way to risky to mount them on the passenger side because of overhanging signs and trees, have some brackets made to allow you to slide them into the existing awning rail and use the tape to mount latches to the side to hold them down while traveling as well as extension poles when deployed sitting still. Or better yet carry them in a rack on the back when traveling and slide them in both awning racks when parked.