Solar mount class c

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman

Reaction score
I recently bought a 19ft class c. Im trying to transfer my old solar system over to it. I used cross bars that were bolt mounted through the roof on my old one and uni-strut. The roof on the new rv is so thin and fragile I don't trust this crossbar system. I need help figuring out how to build a rack and mounting for the new RV. There is not enough empty space for my panels to lay flat. My plan is to build a rack system with uni-strut and then use all thread to mount panels a couple inches in the air.

I also noticed I have these metal flanges on the sides

Attachments

• IMG_20210307_114034162.jpg
    IMG_20210307_114034162.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210307_114009535.jpg
    IMG_20210307_114009535.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
Those rails look like they are the type used to retain the fabric part of an awning.

I think you're right but it's something to grab onto

Also, it looks like there might be a metal frame in between the roof and ceiling. It's hard to tell though. If I could bite into a metal frame that would work. This is my first class C. I had vans up until now

If you could remove a speaker in the ceiling, it might give you an idea of what is on the bottom side.

I took out both vents and added a maxair. It's hard to see because the metal frame fills the cutout. Looks like a half inch Plastic roof, metal frame, quarter inch Plywood sandwich

I guess just get a beam finder and hope I can mount to metal frames in the roof. What would be best for that? Self tappers? Toggle bolt?

If it's a steel frame a rare earth magnet will find the supports fast. It's pretty much a sure bet that there is added support along both side at the top, where the top and the side meet. I just screw a piece of aluminum angle to that support on both side and then run aluminum angle across from side to side, the attach the panels to that. Highdesertranger

If you don’t have any leaks now and the roof is 1/2 fiberglass I would be hesitant to put holes in it and wouldn’t even lay or walk on it without a large square of 1/2” or thicker plywood with rounded corners and half round edges to spread my weight. I think I would use thick flat plates mounted to the sides extending up an inch above the roof to attach the cross bars to. I would be concerned that the vibration and pressure that is put on the roof by the cross braces would eventually crack the roof panels and cause leaks. It is much easier to prevent leaks on a vertical surface than a flat horizontal surface in my opinion. I would try to keep everything as light weight as possible by using aluminum and several bolt locations on all 4 sides in the panel frame to keep the assembly ridged so as not to vibrate. These are all just my opinions as I have never mounted a solar panel on a fiberglass roof. My motor home uses aluminum framing and I usually look for rows of fasteners indicating where the frame is.

highdesertranger said:
If it's a steel frame a rare earth magnet will find the supports fast.  It's pretty much a sure bet that there is added support along both side at the top,  where the top and the side meet.  I just screw a piece of aluminum angle to that support on both side and then run aluminum angle across  from side to side,  the attach the panels to that.  Highdesertranger

What you think? A couple of lag bolts and dicor will do?

Also not sure how to attach the panels if I use the angle ad cross bars. I need to get a good 4-5in clearance. I really want to use this uni-strut if I can.

Well you can use unistrut if you want but I find it heavy especially compared to aluminum angle. Highdesertranger

How will I attach panels to the angles though. This is is what I don't understand

Just checked and the metal studs are aluminum

Most panels have aluminum angle or channel as well as stand off mounting brackets the can be attached. If you are careful not to damage the easily scratched back of the panels you can drill and bolt the panels to the angles with stainless bolts and self locking nuts. You really don’t want to have a lot of flexing as it will damage the aluminum frame eventually. If you attach aluminum angles where the awning would attach on the sides and mount aluminum cross bars to them you should be able to mount rigid solar panels to them. The less weight the better.

You can mount them 2 ways,

1. use the panels factory mounting holes. this is kinda hard way to do it because drilling the holes in the aluminum angle while it's in place is a PITA. You set the panel on the angle then mark the hole, then slide the panel to the side and drill the hole. easier said than done.

2. Set your panel on the aluminum angle and use another piece of aluminum angle to butt against panel. then drill a hole through the side of the aluminum panel frame and through the aluminum angle. Like a homemade "L" bracket. this is very easy and is my preferred method now-a-days. However keep in mind that this could void your warranty on the panels.

Highdesertranger

Ok. I think what I thought an aluminum angle is and what you think an aluminum angle is were 2 different things.

Check these out for reference,

https://www.onlinemetals.com/buy/al...uminum&utm_term=aluminum&utm_content=Aluminum

I have neve dealt with that company, I posted them because they had pictures.

Note for everyone when buying raw metal find a metal supply yard. They are all over. They are about 1/4 the price of the Big Box stores. Last time I checked(about 2 weeks ago) I could get a 12' stick for the price of what they were charging for a 3' stick. Highdesertranger