Solar Kettle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this should go in the Cooking or the Personal Hygiene sub-forums.

Anyone familiar with this?

SunRocket Solar Kettle

The price is right, and it seems to have plenty of positive reviews. The only downside I see is that the glass part of it may be fragile.

Regards
John

It looks pretty good but 17 oz is not much water. I don't see it being very useful just because of it's small size.
Bob

If it actually boils water, as claimed, you could pour the water into one of those black shower bags that's not quite hot enough. Get a really warm shower instead of a lukewarm shower.

The reviews on Amazon also said that you could heat soup and such in it. Supposedly easy to clean afterward.

I wonder. Canned, condensed soup, like Campbells Chicken Noodle. I've always made it by dumping the can in a pot, adding a can of tap water, and heating it on a stove. Maybe I could just dump the can in a bowl, and add a can of boiling water, and stir it all together. I'll have to try that.

My brother is a bit of a prepper, and a bit of a gadget freak, AND he has a birthday this month. I'm tempted to buy him one of these as his present, so we can both play with it and see how well it works.

Regards
John

save yourself a bunch of money!!!!............go to walmart and buy a behind the door long mirror..(make sure it is a plastic mirror)

drill 4 holes 2 about 1' in from center on each side.....straiten out 2 metal coat hangers and make small hooks to place into the holes......convex (Bend) the mirror inward so you have an arc.....now place on ground and angle it toward the cast iron pot you want to heat........you can heat water , fry foods...and cook almost anything very quickly.......do not put your hands inside the beam area aimed at the bottom of the pot or serious burns will happen fast!!!!

the unit will store easy and also will work as a bath mirror if you need!!

I looked into those awhile back and like bob says not very much water. however if you are solo and don't need a lot of water it could work. like lucky mike said it's not hard to make something on your own. I have tried the lens thing from a flat screen projection tv. those things work, will light a 2x4 on fire in seconds. there are numerous you tube vids on the subject. highdesertranger