Tax Credits For Solar!?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExploringOne

Reaction score
Okay, so maybe I'm looking at things wrong. I just want other input, especially if you've done it.

I'm aware of the federal and state incentives for solar power, in fact, that is part of the reason I put panels on my house a few years back.

Solar has greatly gone down in price since, and obviously there is less roof space on an RV.

According to Turbo Tax, the IRS publication 936 states, “A home includes a house, condominium, cooperative,  mobile  home,  house trailer, boat, or similar property that has sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities.” That means your RV would likely qualify as a second home and you could claim the interest on the loan for your RV.

This quote is from Camping World.

Also, I've seen on some other solar sites, that if you tie batteries into Solar, it counts as part of your PV system for credits.

For residential properties, the battery qualifies if it is only charged by an on-site renewable energy system such as solar energy. You will need solar panels to charge your battery, since charging on the electrical grid disqualifies you from the tax credit. Batteries add versatility to the application of your solar system, as well. They store energy and use it when energy from your electricity company peaks, saving you money (peak time is usually between 5 and 10 pm, when people are home from work and school). They also offer emergency backup to essential devices when the utility grid goes down.

This quote is from SunPower.

Has anyone else done this and used the federal and state credits for their RV? My wallet was starting to hurt when I was looking at 200 ah of LiFePo4 battery banks, but if I could get 45% (state and federal) off with tax credits it seem like it's well worth it.

Anyone with thoughts or experience?

Back around 2010 I looked into this this is what I was told.

The term Mobile home means one of those homes in trailer parks that are more or less permanent not an RV. To get the credit it must be a residence and since at least in California you are not allowed to use an RV as a residence so the credit does not apply.

Now maybe all this has changed. So let us know what you find out.

Highdesertranger

Well, I’m on the Atlantic coast. I’ll definitely make some calls and see what I can find out tomorrow.

Things are polar opposite when it comes to California rules and laws vs where I’m at.

My home built camper van qualified as my second home under the IRS rules. I deducted the whole cost of the solar. Panels, charge controller, wiring, batteries, inverter, and all the hardware and other incidentals. I spread the tax credit over three years to fully recover the costs. I'm not sure that they still have the same program I had the advantage of finding. My first year was 2017. Right coast.

Nevada does not do state income tax, so only the Fed credit is available in NV. Leaving the state's definitions out of the equation.

No problem with RV and the solar credit, but I have my TT in the same spot year round, paying a storage fee for the months that I am dispersed in my MHC.