Solar and Wind combination

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks interesting. I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to hook all that on my rig, but then, I can hardly screw in a light bulb. I'll be interested to see what those who know something about this stuff says.   :shy:

Stephen said:
Looks interesting. I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to hook all that on my rig, but then, I can hardly screw in a light bulb. I'll be interested to see what those who know something about this stuff says.   :shy:

I've emailed them to get an actual size on the windmill.  I checked out Bob's info. on wind and it looks like it needs a pretty long pole so I dont know if it would be reasonable for my Chevy Yukon...I just cant resist the multifunctionality of it.

read the negative reviews. seems the company doesn't respond if you have a problem. yes you need a fairly long pole, 3.5-10 meters. highdesertranger

I thought about adding a wind turbine, but it only made sense if I were to spend a lot of time in really windy places that have very little sunlight. (supply your own butt joke) I've been doing fine with just solar.

I would think for the space, cost and effort to have wind that I would want to make sure I would be where I could use it. Kind of like I wouldn't want solar if I only used shady spots. I thought about wind because I like the redundancy but when the wind blows where I camp, it will rip it off the mast.

They emailed me the specifications, BUT the rotors are the size of a forearm...I also think the length of the pole is due to the assumption that it needs to clear a roof line of a house to get the wind.  Probably fine lower to the ground in high wind areas like the SW.  May get the combo but just use solar for now, would need a bigger rig even with the flatpack cabin trailer im building.  Hope I attached the specs correctly.

Attachments

• wind turbine technicial_ specifitcations.png
    wind turbine technicial_ specifitcations.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 5
Can I attach it to my van and generate electricity while driving down the road?

Can I attach it to my van and generate electricity while driving down the road? this has been discussed before. sure you could do it but, its going to take more energy to overcome the drag then you can produce. there is no way around this, think about it if you could do it you would have perpetual motion. as far as the height of the wind turbine you need it tall enough to get above the ground turbulence. in the desert this may only be a few feet above your vehicle but in a forest this could be beyond reach of a portable system. highdesertranger

akrvbob said:
I have a friend with wind power, he's a member here. Here is a post on how he sets it up.
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/installing-wind-generator/

That actually looks like a Chinese clone of his wind gen, the old Air-X by Southwest Wind power. They went out of business.
Bob

I've actually been trying to make my way through all of the "how to's" on the site before asking redundant questions :), my next was going to be about batteries and then I found it!!  Thanks again for all the great info. in readable organized format...