Opinions on a backup generator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a similar unit by Sportsman and I really liked it. It wouldn't start my trailer ac so I replaced it with a 3500 watt lp gas unit. With my truck cap I now wish I had it back. Easy start, light weight and quiet. Go for it.

Currently propane is much cheaper than gasoline here in southern Arizona. I have a 3500 Predator generator that requires you treat gasoline that contains ethanol which is a good idea anyway since it uses a carburetor but also adds to the cost to use gasoline. After 1,000 hours of use the carburetor float/inlet valve is beginning to malfunction occasionally so I will probably put a Nash Trifuel conversion kit on it in the near future which will end up costing around $200 for everything required. If the 2200 dual fuel generator can power everything I need at a cost of $500 that seems like a really good solution which I might consider as well.

I forgot to mention my current 3500 Predator weighs a little over 100 pounds which is another consideration as well.

There seem to be a lot of issues with factory dual fuel generators starting on propane. As my Predator has electric start and can be adapted I will probably try that first and finish wearing it out or lifting 100 plus pounds wears me out! Lol!!!

Considering purchasing this generator as a backup (and to use until I can get solar set up).

What are your electrical needs? Backup for what? I get by using a small 900w propane genset which is fine for occasionally charging my battery bank when solar isn't quite enough. So generator selection depends mostly on what you want to power.

it sounds like a good deal for a generator. my vehicle puts out 85 amps from the alternator that's 1020 watts at 12 volts. the generator puts out 1500 watts per hour at 120 volts (15 amps), but will run for 8 hours on 1 gallon of gas. if propane is used it will need 6 and 1/2 pounds to run 8 hours. so it just depends on how big your needs are. i also just checked and Renogy has a 200 watt kit on sale for $360 and a walmart deep cycle battery will cost about another $140. so about the same price. and solar will not require any fuel to work. I myself would skip the gen and go solar and vehicle charging.

There seem to be a lot of issues with factory dual fuel generators starting on propane. As my Predator has electric start and can be adapted I will probably try that first and finish wearing it out or lifting 100 plus pounds wears me out! Lol!!!
I have a Champion 2800 Dual Fuel. I understood when I got it that the dual's had a hard to start rep with propane, but I did some reading on it (very useful info in the reviews on Amazon) and it seems that folks have found that the gennie needs manual priming to start easily on propane. The consensus was to set the switch to between choke and run, pull the recoil cord slowly several times till you got a whiff of gas, then a couple more time a little harder till it sounded like it wanted to start then a good hard pull. I can't speak for others but it worked great for me. I love that little gennie. Puts out PSW AC too. I've never run gasoline through it and hopefully never will.

P.S. HIGHLY recommend that folks get a magnetic oil dipstick since many of the smaller gensets don't have oil filters. Cheap on Amazon. Well worth it.

Cheers!

I have a Champion dual fuel and would not buy anything else.

I have 2 Champions that work well, also an Ambo with a 250 amp alt.

I’d say go for it and give it a try.

Speaking for myself, I’ve been using a Honda EU2000 and it has served me well. I don’t see any advantage to running off propane unless you don’t want to get your hands dirty dealing with gasoline. Gasoline and diesel fuel is so much easier to source. After installing a diesel heater I’ll never go back to heating with propane.

I’ve found it cheaper and easier to just reduce my power needs. I travel with a 100 watt portable solar panel set, a generator and a hardwared DC to DC battery charger. I just got back from Quartzite having used all three in various combinations.

I went with LP for a couple of reasons. The 900w Ryobi I have is small, so I keep it inside the van to prevent theft. With LP I don't have to worry about gasoline fumes. Since I'm part-time, it sits unused for many months and I don't have to worry about old gas gumming up the carb. It will run about 33 hours on a 11lb. tank and for my use I only need to refill it once per travel season. That is in the summer when I drive quite a bit and with alt. charging + 180 watts of solar I don't need to use the generator a lot. My power usage is pretty low though; mainly a small DC fridge, a couple of lights, laptop & small battery charging. YMMV. Lastly, the engines in LP generators 'should' last longer because the fuel burns cleaner than gas.

Last edited:
I run my Champion inverter on propane only, it's never had gasoline in it. I just don't like hauling gas in cans anymore.

the generator puts out 1500 watts per hour at 120 volts (15 amps)

Just FYI our gensets are rated at continuous running watts and peak watts...not watts (or amps) per hour...that's a battery rating, so we will know how long a battery might last under a specific load, (usually 20 amp) until it is depleted.

If your genset is rated at 1500 continuous watts, then it puts out 1500 watts for a second, a minute, or an hour...or all day....there is no 'wattage per unit of time' output rating for portable generators.

But there IS usually a 'run-time' rating that will vary depending on the size of the fuel tank.

Last edited:
Considering purchasing this generator as a backup (and to use until I can get solar set up)

Depending on how much you drive, battery chemistry, and what your loads are alternator charging may be worth considering. No setup time, nothing to lift, works automagically, no maintenance, much less money upfront.

It can also reduce the amount of solar required down the road. Of course if you don't drive much the alt can't contribute much (which is my situation).

Considering purchasing this generator as a backup (and to use until I can get solar set up).

I don't carry a gen but I do ask when someone has one. Almost everyone has been happy with their gen, even the low-priced ones.

I have heard a couple people say the inexpensive gennies tend to be less maintainable (design-wise and parts availability) than the champagne stuff like Honda and Yamaha.

I’ve found it cheaper and easier to just reduce my power needs.

I need that reminder from time to time.