Social security

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a big difference in people’s viewpoints between people trying to just survive on only Social Security and those who still work or have additional assets that allow them survive and even thrive while on Social Security. Changes in Social Security affect everyone on it but one group much more than the other. Likewise many people on this forum are here for one of two reasons in my opinion. First to learn to live simply and cheaply in an RV in order to survive or second to live and travel cheaply rather than live stationary all the time. The first group may not have the means or the time left to change much about their living situation. The second group is mainly concerned about not becoming a member of the first group. Ultimately everyone is working to better themselves by being informed. We can hope this site helps people form an opinion and plan of action that includes voting for people that support your views on Social Security. Let’s hope we get it right!

Need I rephrase? Many of your posts (it seems to me) refer to what people should have done back when. I believe that people that are now on SS and reacting to proposed changes in that system is another conversation entirely. As several others have explained, s*** happens. We all have our own stories and I won't bore anyone with mine except to say I DID make reasonable decisions. I just didn't see an expensive divorce and a business failure during the 2008 recession coming. I also didn't anticipate some medical expenses, etc. etc. And when someone now tells me what I should have done differently back then, it sort of irritates me.

Perhaps I misunderstood. What advice, beyond trying to stay out of any new debt, should current retirees depending on SS benefits do? You were clearly lucky or wise, so I am certainly willing to listen to that.
The first thing that I’d recommend is that folks learn their spending habits - know where every dollar of your income goes. This should be done prior to building a budget. Why? Because if you just start by building a budget on paper, way too often it won’t be realistic and you’ll end up failing.

I personally use the app ‘Mint’ which is available on my iPad for free. It has the ability to link all credit/debit cards and my banking accounts. I can also record cash purchases. Purchases that I make using credit/debit cards and bank transfers are posted to Mint as they are made. This way I have a record of all of my expenses. At the end of the month, I can evaluate my spending behavior and make a decision as to what I need and what I could do without.

This has an advantage in discovering fraud and hidden fees/subscriptions as well. Only after I’ve determined my current spending habits and eliminated non-essential items would I start making a budget plan.

Of course you have to budget for food and essential things such as propane, car insurance, any premiums, etc. But then I’d set up an item on the budget for funding an emergency fund. At a minimum it should be $1,000, but really needs to be as much as the most expensive thing you would have to replace.

The next item would be sinking funds for non-emergency items. For instance if you know that you tires are getting old, then you might want to build up a fund for replacing them. It might take a while to build that up, but a little each month would soon build up.

On making purchases - shop for quality items which will last. Sears used to have Craftsman tools and they were high quality. I still have a lot of my tools that I bought decades ago and wouldn’t part with them now. I personally try to buy quality now so I don’t have to constantly re-buy the same stuff. I noticed just after Thanksgiving that folks were buying stuff based on what they thought was a great deal. However those items were not sufficient to meet their expectations. I don’t know how many times I heard of someone who bought a 250 Watt Hour ‘solar generator’ that they wanted to power a 120 AC Volt refrigerator. What am I getting at? Spend a good deal of time before making any purchase. Don’t be impulsive.

As another example. I mentioned earlier that I use an iPad. I used to be an MS bigot. But when I retired, I knew that I wanted to travel and mainly boondock. I knew that I would need to conserve my batteries. So I got to wondering if I could use an iPad - mainly because it used much less power than a laptop. I already knew about the App Store and was amazed at how much was there, and how much of it was free. So I made the decision to go iPad. But I didn’t just go to the Apple Store to buy an ipad, instead I searched their web site for refurbished units. I was able to get a great refurbished iPad for about $250 less than a new one. Yes - it took a bit of effort to find that , but it gave me much more pleasure to have gotten it the way I did. Moral - take pleasure in having been patient enough to research your wants, evaluating the options, and accepting used. Don’t let yourself be pressured to buy the newest.

There is a big difference in people’s viewpoints between people trying to just survive on only Social Security and those who still work or have additional assets that allow them survive and even thrive while on Social Security. Changes in Social Security affect everyone on it but one group much more than the other. Likewise many people on this forum are here for one of two reasons in my opinion. First to learn to live simply and cheaply in an RV in order to survive or second to live and travel cheaply rather than live stationary all the time. The first group may not have the means or the time left to change much about their living situation. The second group is mainly concerned about not becoming a member of the first group. Ultimately everyone is working to better themselves by being informed. We can hope this site helps people form an opinion and plan of action that includes voting for people that support your views on Social Security. Let’s hope we get it right!
Please don't say that people who rely solely on Social Security are not thriving. We get it.... you work and want everyone to work into old age. You've said it many times.

Not everyone wants to work in their 70's and not everyone can... even in their 60's. But many, many on SS only are thriving. Possibly as many on SS alone are "thriving" as those on SS and working.

Guess we need to define thriving to understand each other.

What I was referring to was the previous post where people had taken early Social Security and complained in later life they needed more money to get by and were not “thriving” as in being happy with their financial situation. Every individual is different and determines what “thriving” is for them. Thriving means to me to continue to grow and learn usually through experiences. Many on this site do so by traveling and living a nomadic lifestyle. Traveling can be expensive. Many when living on a limited budget are forced to stop traveling. What I meant was just that and by no means inferring it isn’t possible to thrive while being stationary it is just more difficult for many and those often say they are just surviving not really living life. For many once you have experienced living a nomadic lifestyle it is hard to be satisfied living in one place for long.

I am not really living the Van life only because it is cheaper. I am not concerned with “thriving”, besides that is way too elusive of a concept to define. I am just a snowbird who likes nicer weather, not too hot, not cold; plenty of blue sky days. I can look out my window and see for miles and miles if I want to. I do not have a lot of chores or responsibilities. I am content with my life the majority of my days and that is a very good life. Some people dream of a nomadic life and feel very dissatisfied and disappointed with it. Not everyone is well suited to it.

Last edited:
mpruet, All good advice. Thanks.

I also agree with what Carla, bullfrog, and maki2 have just said. I am more or less living as a Nomad by choice and I am not complaining about my financial situation, beyond occasionally commenting (some might say complaining) on systemic problems that I disagree with or think could be done better.

On any proposed SS changes to balance the federal budget, I would prefer to see that happen by intelligent means-testing and by increasing federal income by taxing the highest-income people, churches, and profitable corporations and not by cutting benefits to retirees who need at least the current level of benefits.

Thanks for listening and/or reading. I am pretty sure I am repeating myself, so I'll stop now. REALLY, I will. :)

Since the creation of the Federal Reserve Bank, there has never been any serious intention to balance the Federal Budget.

It's budget deficits all the way down. The more Federal Reserve Notes (aka dollars) that the Fed creates electronically, lessens the value of each existing US Dollar.

Every military action abroad is more money thrown into a hole that only profits the "Defense" industry. As Ukraine winds down, Gaza heats up. Keeps people on edge.

Wall Street firms receive bailouts for bad investments, directly from the Fed with a few keystrokes on a computer keyboard. There are no consequences for bad decisions, when they are deemed "too big to fail."

Doesn't matter which of the only two allowed political parties is supposedly running the nation at any point in time. Red versus Blue just to keep it simple for the masses.

Many of you run around yelling "The Sky is Falling" but I don't think there has ever been a decrease in SS since it started even if they talk about reducing it I don't think they will for anyone already getting it.. I payed a lot into it & am glad it's available. There may be a few countries with a better system but I bet there a 10x or more with worse, I don't know as I haven't researched it. IMHO the U.S.A. is still the best place on earth to live even with its faults. GOD BLESS THE USA!

Many of you run around yelling "The Sky is Falling" but I don't think there has ever been a decrease in SS since it started even if they talk about reducing it I don't think they will for anyone already getting it.. I payed a lot into it & am glad it's available. There may be a few countries with a better system but I bet there a 10x or more with worse, I don't know as I haven't researched it. IMHO the U.S.A. is still the best place on earth to live even with its faults. GOD BLESS THE USA!
I too have paid in a lot of money in FICA taxes. Between myself and my employers, over $250,000 went to the social security administration (or trust fund). In 1984, social security benefits became subject to income tax. This is a decrease in benefits. link

Last edited:
This explains it better.

How Social Security taxes are calculated​

To calculate your taxable Social Security benefit, first determine your adjusted gross income (AGI), which is your total taxable income. This might include money you make from:
  • Employment
  • Distributions from traditional 401(k) plans and traditional IRAs
  • Taxable income from investments, such as stock dividends and interest from taxable accounts
Second, subtract any tax deductions to determine your AGI.
Finally, add two components to that AGI:
  • You nontaxable interest
  • Half the amount of your Social Security benefit
This total is your "combined income." If your combined income is more than $34,000 for singles or $44,000 for couples, up to 85% of your Social Security income may be taxed.

What Is the Average Social Security Check for Americans?

The Annual Statistical Supplement from the Social Security Administration (SSA) shows the average monthly benefit based on the type of beneficiary and age of the recipient.
Social Security by Ages & Types. From Clark.com
For Americans ages 65 and older, the average Social Security check is $1,803.89, according to the latest annual report.

All AgesUnder 6262–6465 or Older
Total$1,740.11$1,393.26$1,442.39$1,803.89
Retired Workers$1,825.14N/A$1,364.00$1,849.88
Disabled Workers$1,483.10$1,414.58$1,624.56$1,654.07
Wives/Husbands of Retired Workers$900.97$739.27$627.50$916.42
Wives/Husbands of Disabled Retired Workers$408.42$324.40$399.29$467.32
Non-Disabled Widows/Widowers$1,705.27$1,499.24$1,562.48$1,726.30
Disabled Widows/Widowers$892.87$894.27$890.37$892.77
Widowed Mothers/Fathers$1,231.86$1,223.39$1,399.35$1,333.87
Parents of Deceased Workers$1,537.98NA$1,513.25$1,538.44

It’s a good thing I’ve got a “lazy eye” which causes me to see things shifted to the right or I would have never figured out the column headings were offset! Lol!!! No wonder people get confused! I’m substantially lower probably due to the amount of military and teaching I did at lower than average pay. Kentucky didn’t tax my pension as a way to help their state retires survive on their smaller on average pensions. Unfortunately most other states do tax it for the time period you work in that state! Not a pleasant surprise as the first low paying seasonal job’s wages went almost totally to pay state taxes! There is a big difference between Social Security and a pension depending on what state you are in. And just a reminder any pension from an agency that does not participate in Social Security like Rail Road retirement or some teaching jobs will result in a substantial reduction in your Social Security check for any other qualifying work you did. Best to check out the situation before you make career choices if you are considering those types of careers.

Last edited:
^^^ The above article seems to point out that a lot of the folks that are still working after their first retirement are doing so not because they have to but because they want to. I realize that there are folks that have to work because they can’t get by on just their retirement money, but that’s not the case that the above article seems to present. I know that when I retired I was faced with the question of ‘what now’. So I did volunteer work at a food bank. I thought it was funny that after all of the years of being a software developer, I was now a stock boy, but at least it was something to do. My brother-in-law is a nuclear engineer and after his retirement he continued doing consulting. Folks who have always been productive continue to want to be productive.

I personally have always advised folks to not leave the work force until medicare kicks in. After you reach 60 you tend to have more health issues and without any form of medical insurance it can be really expensive to have to deal with medical issues.

^^^ The above article seems to point out that a lot of the folks that are still working after their first retirement are doing so not because they have to but because they want to. I realize that there are folks that have to work because they can’t get by on just their retirement money, but that’s not the case that the above article seems to present. I know that when I retired I was faced with the question of ‘what now’. So I did volunteer work at a food bank. I thought it was funny that after all of the years of being a software developer, I was now a stock boy, but at least it was something to do. My brother-in-law is a nuclear engineer and after his retirement he continued doing consulting. Folks who have always been productive continue to want to be productive.

I personally have always advised folks to not leave the work force until medicare kicks in. After you reach 60 you tend to have more health issues and without any form of medical insurance it can be really expensive to have to deal with medical issues.
I don't want to nit-pick, but such blanket statements as "Folks who have always been productive continue to want to be productive." really make my teeth grind. This one suggests that anyone that isn't productive now must have never been productive. I have known many ex-productive folks that are now content to put their feet up and observe the world going by. They MAY BE the more intelligent content among us.

At least insert a "My opinion is..." or "I think..." in there somewhere. I think (<see) putting retirement off until Medicare is available is a good idea for those people that have a choice in the matter.

^^^Being productive in my case has been hard on this old body many times. Yes I continued for 20 years after I “retired” but I feel in some ways I’m socially dependent on work which is probably a form of mental illness if I continue to deteriorate my physical well being due to working. Staying or getting healthy is a full time job for most people my age but many are unable to do it. Developing a healthy lifestyle requires time and money in many cases plus a willingness to do so. Hopefully Social Security can make it possible for older people to live longer, better lives. All work and no play and even play can be detrimental to an old body!

Last edited:
I don't want to nit-pick, but such blanket statements as "Folks who have always been productive continue to want to be productive." really make my teeth grind. This one suggests that anyone that isn't productive now must have never been productive. I have known many ex-productive folks that are now content to put their feet up and observe the world going by. They MAY BE the more intelligent content among us.

At least insert a "My opinion is..." or "I think..." in there somewhere. I think (<see) putting retirement off until Medicare is available is a good idea for those people that have a choice in the matter.
Maybe I should have worded it a bit differently. By productive, I didn’t mean folks that just did their job and not much more than was expected of them. I meant folks that went way beyond their job description. I know very few folks that were highly productive in their working years that are content to just sit and watch the world go by after retirement. I know a lot of folks that were highly productive in their working years that still have a rather active lifestyle in retirement, either through a second job, volunteer work, or recreational activities. There tends to be an inner drive that makes a person lead a highly productive life during their working years, and that inner drive remains with them after retirement.

Maybe I should have worded it a bit differently. By productive, I didn’t mean folks that just did their job and not much more than was expected of them. I meant folks that went way beyond their job description. <snip>
I'd suggest that you're being paid by your employer to do the job you were hired to do, and do it to a level set of expectations. It's a hopefully somewhat fair agreement between you and your employer. Going "way above and beyond" doesn't make sense for a lot of people. Why should I give free labor to make someone else rich ? (unless I'm angling for a promotion or something) "Trickle down" isn't really a thing, as we've all learned since the Reagan years.

Now if you're an independent contractor, work for yourself, etc... that changes the equation considerably.