Social Security Address to use?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXdon

Reaction score
I need advice from those of you who are on Social Security. I am confused about what address to use and forum/video searches on the topic have not clarified this issue.
  Social Security requires and address so , without using a family member or friends address, is it possible to use a mailforwarding or UPS box for mail from the social security administration?

I would like responses from those of you who are actually doing this so that I have the best information possible before heading out on the road.
      Thanks very much in advance for any responses.

I use my Escapees address in Texas. I'm investigating switching to South Dakota, because it's even easier there since they actually embrace nomads. The other thing is that Texas allows supplement plans to impose a 6-month waiting period for pre-existing conditions. I haven't called South Dakota yet, but that is something to consider, if it applies to you.

The Dire Wolfess

Better to use F&F.

But if you can't you can't, have to use a service.

If SSA knocks their address back, then you have to use a different one.

Florida has a court affidavit process, check out https://www.google.com/search?q=st+brendan's+isle

All your gov & financial records should ideall match your legal domicile.

Mailing address can change NP

Moxadox , Eric from Nomadic fanatic YouTube channel did a video a week ago about South Dakota. He got his mail forwarding and became a resident in 24 hours . You might want to check that out .

I am on Social Security and Medicare. I use a USPS box as an address and I forward my mail when I am gone for a long period of time. I do not have a physical address and Social Security knows I have no physical address.

I do not use any of the services for mail, USPS actually does a pretty good job of taking care of it. I am going to get a temporary USPS box in Arizona for winter, since I will be there a long time. USPS also has a new service where they will scan the envelope of any mail that goes into my box, so I know if something important arrives. I have 2 plus years on the road and this solution works fine for me. A USPS box is $82 a year, far less expensive that one of the services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blanch. How do you keep the USPO box cleaned out if you are not there at least once a week?

Thank you all so much for the numerous replies. This information is invaluable in helping me to make a decision on how to handle this problem.  :shy:

Weight said:
Blanch. How do you keep the USPO box cleaned out if you are not there at least once a week?

I really get very little mail. It fills in about two months. If I am going to be gone more than two months I forward it to where I am.

I sign up for all online billing, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out BCM mail and ship in Quartzsite which charges $60 a year. They collect my mail and send me a email for each new piece and post a picture of each piece. They send all or part of the accumulated mail to wherever I want for a very reasonable fee

This is partially related to the subject of the OP,

I'm on disability, with both Medicaid and state subsidized health coverage. Yesterday I got a renewal letter with a few required documents highlighted in yellow. They want to see my paperwork to prove I live in this county. These "proofs" include an original copy of a lease agreement, a mortgage payment, a utility bill/receipt, real estate taxes, or home owners insurance policy.

Lol. I think I'm going to call my worker up and ask for an email where I can send a picture of my icehouse. Maybe invite him/her over for a cup of coffee? It's obvious that this isn't the norm, but I literally have nothing on the list of "proofs".

Well, wait a min, maybe if I sent a copy of my insurance policy for the trailer? Still, even that doesn't prove I'm living in this county. Hmmm, maybe back to the coffee invite idea again.

Stay warm everybody,
Unless you're too warm,
In which case, stay cool,
(But not too cool, lol)

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Well, I reread my last post and I guess I wasn't really clear in the post. The SS Administration was great about taking my change of address for the disability and Medicaid. I brought the proofs of my new PO box #, but they didn't even ask me for them.
It's the state (administered through the county) that gave me a list of renewal proofs. It makes sense that if I'm not living in this county they don't want me getting local services through their agency. They want me to get services through the county I'm actually living in.
But as I was reading through it I was thinking about this whole other category of people who cannot provide those proofs and wouldn't really classify themselves as homeless though. I suppose by the state's definition I am homeless though, and that is the classification that matters, not how I think of my housing status :)
The thing that I'm wondering about is how much of a stickler are they going to be about a completely up to date physical location if I'm moving every so often? Even if I still have the same mailing address? Even if I'm staying in the same local area. This is a factor they don't encounter with clients in s&b. S&bdwellers don't just pick up their house and go. Or, better yet, what about moving my trailer to places that don't have physical addresses? I better be ready to provide GPS coordinates, lol.

~angie

I won't advise you on specifics there, in fact below strategy applies for anyone in need fighting any of the modern "reformed" agencies trying to get us "cases" of their books.

But if your area has Legal Aid for low-income people, or other social-work advocate types **outside** the bureaucracy you're dealing with, get professional advice

Don't be embarrassed to call yourself "on the verge of homeless", you want to qualify for the free consulting.

Some town / municipal / county governments have Social Services people, run meals on wheels, senior center food banks shelters etc.

But ideally from an attorney experienced in such matters.

_______
When you have your stance, position, "legend" in order, about to go settle things with the service-provider agency do **not** feel you need to fully inform them of every last detail.

Not saying outright lie though, not a good idea from a practical POV, besides being able to sleep at night.

Just present yourself and your situation in a way that makes it most likely your case will be approved.

And usually that means **be mainstream, conventional** in your appearance and attitude as much as possible.

Temporarily down on your luck, doing your best to get by,

but **striving to get back** to being a productive normal S&B dwelling taxpaying citizen.

Do **not** act proud of your subversive freedom, do not defend your "right" to be a nomad, etc.

The GPS idea does not fit on the form, nor in the computer database back at the office, big red flag there. You're not fighting for principles here, you are chopping off your feet in order to fit into the normal sized bed (fairy tale?)

WRT to your residential address if you need to go that way

Ideally your ice box is at a stable location with a mailbox, where a "friend" is letting you stay. Get a library card, register to vote get another card, get commercial or government mail sent there to show them, cellphone provider, medical test, whatever. See if you can get your "landlord" to fill in the blanks on a stationary store lease or print one out at the library, open up a utility account there or get it switched to your name. Driver's licence, bank accounts, etc etc.

Obviously bureaucrats just want things to go easy, find out in advance how to spoon-feed them the **info that fits** what they're looking for,

Let them put the data in the right boxes, check check, approve, stamp stamp the paperwork and on to the next case.

If it comes down to it, register as truly homeless, get them to help you get a residential address that way.

Once you've been approved, lasts at least six months or a year, go back to your wandering life as you like. . .

When I was living on a boat the census bureau came through with their 10 year survey. I came under their category of financially advantaged homeless person. You could live on a million dollar yacht and be a homeless person.
Some homeless shelters have let people use their address for legal purposes. A legal domicile and a mailing address are two separate things.

TXdon said:
  Social Security requires and address so , without using a family member or friends address, is it possible to use a mailforwarding or UPS box for mail from the social security administration?

I've used a mail forwarding service for all my mail including SS, when I changed to Escapees I changed my SS address to there too. No problems.

AMGS3 said:
The SS Administration was great about taking my change of address for the disability and Medicaid. . . . It's the state (administered through the county) that gave me a list of renewal proofs. It makes sense that if I'm not living in this county they don't want me getting local services through their agency.
. . . I suppose by the state's definition I am homeless . . . I'm wondering . . . how much of a stickler are they going to be about a completely up to date physical location if I'm moving every so often?

Hey Angie,
What did you wind up doing? Were you able to furnish some kind of proof of address and continue getting services? I hope it all worked out for you!

TXdon said:
...is it possible to use a mailforwarding or UPS box for mail from the social security administration?

Yes. I used my mail forwarder in South Dakota for five years. No problem, even when I became eligible for Medicare. When I got a physical address and a mail forwarder in Arizona, I called Social Security to make the change. I told them about the two addresses and they said the mail forwarder would do, which surprised me a little.

The original part of this thread is 1 1/2 years old. Some people may not be here anymore. I have my SS deposited straight into my checking account each month. Easy peasy. And because it's a direct deposit, my bank isn't charging me $10 or $15 every month on the checking account like they would be doing otherwise.

Absolutely, direct deposit. One of the greatest things banking ever came up with. I used to have the same done with my paycheck.

I use "Your Best Address" in Sioux Falls SD, I have residency there and a street address, costs me $12 per month plus I keep $100 in account for postage on forwarded mail. I only actually only spend a couple days a year in SD, but they welcome me with open arms.

CityWoman
I ended up calling the caseworker and just asked her if she needed to come visit me or did I need to send a picture or what kind of proof of residence did she require. I even offered to provide "utility proofs" in the form of a stack of propane receipts from a local propane place. She said that was unnecessary. I'm listed as homeless in this county, living in a domicile not intended for full time residence. So it was easy enough and it didn't require her to make a 120 mile round trip to confirm my residence.
~angie

Latest posts