Soaking in Hot Springs!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotSpringsCyclist

Reaction score
Who else here loves soaking in hot water?  My hobby is HOTSPRING COLLECTING!  I have visited 68 so far.

I still have kids at home, so I am not full-timin' it just yet, but I have committed to one week a month of van life.  Next Sunday night, (August 11), through Thursday afternoon (August 15th) I will be in the vicinity of Salmon and Elk Bend, Idaho.  

On the list are Panther, Owl Creek, Goldbug, and Horse Creek Hotsprings.  Also considering Potosoi in MT since it's on the way-ish to where my kids will be at summercamp.

Anyone care to add some more hot springs to their life list and then check them off?! :D

Angie 
(HotSpringCyclist)

Truth or Consequences New Mexico has lots of hot springs. I used to soak every week.

I love a good soak. There are a cluster of springs near Mammoth Mountain that are free and semi-improved. All nice, hot and clothing-optional. There's nothing more disappointing than a luke warm "hot" spring.

I love me some hot springs too. I have been to several not 68 though. highdesertranger

Oh my goodness!  68?!  We used to organize our travels around hot springs and loved to soak.  Things have changed, and all water activities are sadly off our list.  Go forth and enjoy at least 10 more for us, okay?

These replies are great.  Truth or Consequences area and Mammoth are both on my long-term life list.  Can't wait!!  I will definitely get in some good soaks for everyone!   :)

Be careful what springs you get in. I saw 210 degrees and a lot over 120 on that map.

105 would be my max and I wouldn't stay long. I've been in a few hot tubs at that temp.

Hot tubs top out at 104F due to regulatory requirements! Experienced folks could likely work up to higher temperatures with care. (I’ve been substantially higher!)

Hot days and high tub temperatures can cause issues! I have to be careful doing saunas and what not with high summer temperatures! I find cool showers and serious hydration necessary during the summer!

SD

I am not a Doctor and I don't play one on TV. however I like the temp to be around body temp of 98°. I do like it cooler if the ambient temp is hotter, like 90° or above. I believe I heard that 103-105° should be the max however that seems hot to me. the bummer thing is I broke my old Taylor thermometer a few months ago. I have been looking for a replacement but I am having a hard time everybody wants digital and that means batteries ugh. people now-a-days. highdesertranger

Pool thermometers are still analog. I had to buy one the other day because the kids broke it. About $15 at a pool supply and they float.

OK, I'll bite. I don't mind learning something new. What is a thermometer with a limited temperature range? I thought all thermometers were limited by their scale.

now you made me go look up their range. it is from like 30° to 100°F. some were 40-100°F. that's not very good for measuring air temp. my Taylor was 0-125° and I had it since the 70's. highdesertranger

Ah, it doesn't have a broad enough range. The only analog thermometer I carry is a very small backpackers model with a compass on it that is attached to my day pack zipper. Not very accurate but close enough. I had to go look at the pool one I got. The scale is 105 and down to freezing. Great for a water hole but probably not so much for air temp.

I hate losing or breaking something I have had for a long time. The older stuff always seemed to work better and last longer. I guess this is the price we pay when everyone shops price over quality. Everything is throwaway now.

Back on topic. The hotter the air the colder the water needs to be and the colder the air, the hotter the water. I don't want to get out of the water and continue to sweat.

HDR,

Last Fall, I found a Taylor (range -40F to +120F) at either Walmart or Ace Hardware, don't remember which. Don't know if it is water submersible?

I agree with you; I prefer the old style. I do have a digital that I used to monitor temps in the underbelly of my RV in winter to avoid frozen water lines. Now that I'm back in S&B, I have it in the crawl space of the house for the same reason and to watch humidity level down there.

But my trust is in the Taylor outside.

Best wishes.

It isn’t that people shop price over quality, it’s that people manufacture price over quality.  Thank you.