Soaking in Hot Springs!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"It isn’t that people shop price over quality, it’s that people manufacture price over quality"

I respectfully disagree. you can see this in tools. there are quality tools and there are junk tools. if everybody only bought quality tools then Harbor Freight would be out of business tomorrow. instead Harbor Freight is booming. most people don't care about quality only price.

highdesertranger

My brother is one such person. He has bought the same tool more than once because the cheap one he got broke or didn't work.

OK, so there is Crystal Springs Hot Springs in Northern Utah.....Downata Hot Springs near Downey, Idaho.....Monroe Mountain Hot Springs in Monroe, Ut.....Saratoga Hot Springs in Saratoga, WY, Thermopolis Hot Springs in Thermopolis, WY......Ganite Springs in Wind River Canyon, WY and Lava Hot Springs in Lava Hot Springs, ID. I think that is all I have been to. My toes are all shriveled up.

In Idaho right now Burgdorf Hot Springs near McCall Idaho has been evacuated with a raging wildfire close. I haven't been to that one and hear it is really nice. I live near Givens Hot Spring south of Marsing which is a developed pool with a long history, but very nice. The natural spring source is over 200 degrees. Sacajawea Hot Springs near Grandjean ( a great campground- I was host there in 2005 and camped there in 2017 to see the total eclipse) is very nice. I can also recommend from personal experience Kirkham Hot Springs right along the highway and Sunbeam Hot Springs which is just north of Stanley ID . Welcome to Idaho, lots of springs here. Easley Hot Springs north of Ketchum ID is another developed Spring but I haven't caught them open in a few years.

IGBT said:
200 degrees would kill you.

That’s why it’s developed!

Source is 200F.  

Whatever point you get in has been cooled to a non cooking temperature.

Sometimes multiple points of entry with different temperatures in each!  Messed that up as a kid and went from hot to dam hot with one small miscalculation! ?

SD

GoldBug is absolutely breath taking! While my count is wildly short of 68 (expert that I pretend to be) I must say I am so happy potosi made your list for the trip. Next time you find yourself in Montana check out Renovation as well.

Oh... man!  I'm good up to about 101º for a short time but then the fun-factor starts to wane...  Still, a hot-springs-palooza sounds like an epic adventure tour, so count me it!  Especially if there are some adult beverages for refreshment afterwards...  Too fun!  :)

I found my people! [emoji171]

I haven't yet started tackling the USA. I am still trying to collect all the hot springs and hot spots in Iceland. But I love these resources for when it is time for the USA!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

My two favorite springs are Norris Mt.with snow falling and a large pitcher of margaritas.And White Sulfur Springs in Mt.The last time I was in the hot springs at Thermopolis,A large brown .... floated by.Needless to say we haven't been back.I was disappointed in the springs at Saratoga.However,any hot spring is better than none.

I have only been to one hot spring. Looking forward to more but I am selfish, I want it all to myself :)

I would say 103-105 degrees. Buy a thermometer to check the temp before getting in. People have died going in hot springs that are too hot. Think bath water that is perfect.

MrNoodly said:
There's nothing more disappointing than a luke warm "hot" spring.

I beg to differ. I was in just such a soaking pool yesterday afternoon. Not even as hot as bathwater. But it was 95 in the shade there, and the entire pool was actually in the shade. So I was able to just sit there, not too hot, not too cold, buck naked, for at least a couple hours. I figured out positions where I could "sit" where I had the absolute least pressure points of any part of my body on the bottom of the pool without actually floating. It was like being in a sensory deprivation tank or something. Just letting my body relax. Then I would get out and sit in the sun for a while until I felt too hot, and then get in the water again. It was a nice afternoon.

I have found that the list of hot springs and the list of clothing optional locations overlaps by about 90%. So here is a link to a post in my thread about clothing optional locations with a list of three directories that may help people find hot springs.

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=37839&pid=469189#pid469189

Note: Just because a location is clothing-optional does not mean it's always going to be full of naked people. Usually there's no one there at all. And if you are wearing a bathing suit, most people are going to be polite and ask if it would bother you before they just start stripping off their clothes. If nakedness would bother you, then you probably should be careful just walking up onto any hot spring almost anywhere, whether it's known as clothing optional or not, because some people tend to make up their own rules as they go along. And if no one is around when they get in the pool they're likely as not to decide that they don't need to get their swimming suit wet.

I would say the hottest soak I have ever tolerated was one listed at 107 during a -10 degree day... so that would be one you might hop through quickly with shoes on to get to another cooler hot spring on a warmer day!

It greatly depends on outside air temperature, how (or even if) cold water mixes in... so the source can be one temperature but the feel can be very different depending on how the water flows! The depth of the pool. Dimensions. Etc.

A comfortable hot soak is probably 101-104F.

All day type swimming/soaking/chatting on an average day about 50-70F is about 98F.

1shemp said:
My two favorite springs are Norris Mt.with snow falling and a large pitcher of margaritas.And White Sulfur Springs in Mt.The last time I was in the hot springs at Thermopolis,A large brown .... floated by.Needless to say we haven't been back.I was disappointed in the springs at Saratoga.However,any hot spring is better than none.
There is a nice developed hot springs at Boulder MT out towards the airport road, also has a historic hotel run as a B&B. Very clean and has a nice gathering area also. Last time I went there it was $10.   ~crofter

As far as developed, privately operated places go, I like Faywood Hot Springs in southwest New Mexico, sort of between Deming and Silver City. A nice selection of clothed and clothing-optional pools and tubs, shared and private tubs. And there's camping on site.

And there's Orvis Hot Springs between Ridgway and Ouray Colorado. It also has a nice selection of pools and tubs. There are also massages available.

Oh, and there's El Dorado in Tonopah AZ, off I-10 between Phoenix and Quartzsite. An assortment of pools and tubs, shared and private, plus cabins with their own pools. Camping is available, too.

.... Norris Mt. White Sulfur Springs Mt. Boulder MT

Anyone who visits Norris, be sure to drive down to Virginia City, a bonafide western mining town, with buildings preserved from the 1860s or so. Plus for prospectors, there are miles of tailings along the creek west of town.

https://www.google.com/search?q=virginia+city+mt&tbm=isch&sa=X

Anyone who visits the other two, be sure and stop in Helena, a bona fide mining city with buildings dating to the 1870s and 1880s. A neighborhood of miners mansions, the downtown Last Chance Gulch with historic buildings, the cool cathedral on the hill, a walk up Mt Helena for exercise.

https://www.google.com/search?q=helena+mt+downtown+buildings&tbm=isch&sa=X

Latest posts