So Planet Fitness..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planet Fitness

• Recommend

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Do Not Recommend

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Silver

Reaction score
So Planet Fitness..
If I decide to cancel, 
do I have to send cancellation request to their home club address via certified mail?

"Response from the owner2 years ago

Hi, A. We hate to see members leave, 
but we always provide members the opportunity 
to cancel in good standing with us. 

The only thing we require for cancellations
 is an in-person visit to the club. 

If that's not an option, we also offer members the ability 
to cancel from a distance by sending 
a cancellation request to their home club address 
via certified mail. "

It seems this is the least expensive gym
& popular.  I just worry that if I do cancel for whatever reason
it will be a hassle?
Can I pay by check or cash month to month?

I've never had a problem canceling over several different memberships but of course I went in to cancel never did certified mail but they were always congenial and there was no hassle

I had joined last year right when COVID hit and AZ closed down all gyms. I remember reading online about how PF would still keep charging people even after they had cancelled, so I took it a step further.

In addition to sending the cancellation form by certified mail, I also had my credit union assign a different number to my checking account. So then it would be impossible for them to keep dinging me with charges.

There was no cost to have the account number changed except for having new checks printed and that was about $18.
I hardly ever write checks anymore so those will last several years.

Certified mail costs $11?
Yeah I've switched my bank
Account also and it use to be
Free check books but most
Banks charge a fee.
I rarely use paper checks also
But once in a blue ? moon ? yes.

If banking is an issue, I recommend trying a credit union; their fees and procedures are often much more tolerable than what you can get at a bank.

Also recommend getting current information directly from Planet Fitness, following their procedures, and documenting everything you do (if you decide to go with them, of course, not saying that you should).

Do we know for sure: Is there really a widespread, documented issue with people following PF procedures and still not able to cancel? If yes, is that still going on now or has it been sorted out? A careful, thorough online search, including of Better Business Bureau ratings and reputable recent news articles, ought to give you some pretty reliable clues.

Based on a quick look at PF terms, they do seem to insist on having your checking information. I couldn't tell if maybe some branches made an exception to accept credit cards instead? Putting the payment on a credit card would give you one more avenue to challenge a payment you disagree with.

PF's reasons for (usually? always?) not taking a credit card in lieu of checking seemed pretty iffy to me. Maybe they really do want that extra edge to aggressively push members to remain. But obnoxious is one thing, illegal is another.

For me, the checking requirement would be a deal-breaker. I don't ever agree to recurrent payments being taken from my checking account; there's too much that can go wrong. At least a credit card gives you that one extra layer of protection. And paying by paper check might be a PITA but at least you still have control.

^
Yes, they require access to your checking account and won't do CCs.

Last year when I joined I thought PF would be something I really needed while on the road so I went ahead.

BTW: Somewhat off-topic but eBay is now requiring access to a banking account for fees,etc. instead of using PayPal. I haven't sold anything on EB for a long time but now have some motorcycle parts I want to sell. I'm balking at the account requirement but might go with setting up a separate account.

^
I have what I refer to as my *fake* bank account. It's not attached to my real account where my monthly checks are deposited so no one can clean me out. I transfer money into as needed. And I use it at gas stations and internet purchases. I only keep a couple hundred in it, at most

Won't work at the PF in Sierra Vista,AZ.

Might also be a function of online vs in-person signup.

Each club is independently owned and set their own payment policy. Where did you join?

The great majority are franchised although there were also corporately-owned locations last time I read the company info.

I was in CO at the time but signed up using Cerrillos (Santa Fe) NM location. Unless one is staying in a particular area a long time I don't think it matters which gym one actually "joins".