So I'm not crazy- or I found my people..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soonerri

Reaction score
I am 61 yrs old, divorced for 5 years and I noticed my Niece selling an RV her Mother gave her. I started thinking of this resort I used to go to in Northeast Tulsa on Grand Lake that has RV hookups and it occurred to me I could actually retire in an RV parked at a lake. So as I began to call around about prices for hookups I found lake view spots not real available but low and behold stumbled on a 2010 Keystone Passport 28.5 ft for sale and the cool part is it is on a lot with a beautiful lake view and in the resort i like which has a lot of amenities, etc. The lot rental is $170 plus utilities etc. The RV I was thinking of purchasing was a couple years older and were asking $9000- It is 32 ft long cant even remember the type or brand etc- But the one on the lake I fall in love with. They are asking $15,500 and I have offered $11,500- they owe a bank note on it so I don't know their payoff.

I am simply trying to figure the cheapest way to live a peaceful life on a lake and this seems to be it. At first I thought people might think I was crazy wanting to live full time in n RV. Then I find you guys and am so happy this is not a crazy idea. It is actually viable. And for someone who has been close to being homeless this gives me the peace of knowing I will own a home to live and sleep in and can enjoy the beauty and peaceful living of being on a lake. I know the resort will be busy during the holidays etc but my spot is away from all that yet I get the benefits of the pool, docks, etc. Seems like the perfect answer to cheap living which is what I have to do!

I do not plan on towing the thing around at all. I like where it sits and can sign a long term lease. It is one of the only ways I can figure to be able NOT to work until the day I die.  

I am gleaning much info from the people here and has been a huge help. Thanks!!!

Congratulations and welcome, that does sound like peace of mind:)

Welcome to the forum and I for one wear the crazy moniker with pride. :)

Welcome and congrats on finding something you like. Be great to see some picture. All the best.

Welcome Soonerri to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome aboard !
Those people that you worry might think you're crazy still will.......
Here , never happen . If that plan works for you , that's all that matters.

I bought my first MoHo so I would never be homeless, again. I've since downsized to a van. But the theory is still working.

Congratulations!

:) Hello and welcome!!  I'm a "semi-sooner"......... on my Mothers side back to 1800s @ Wewoka & Ada,  Papas early 1900s @ Enid. I was born/raised in Dallas TX.  GO LONGHORNS!!!

Once upon a time I had a 28ft on the river at Sand Springs that I lived in. It was so peaceful there.

I don't think U R crazy at all.  Me? Jury still out :p

Jewellann

Sounds great and welcome. I've done it for years as alternative. Currently in Van.
I've been a work/camper thru North Dakota winters for few years and dusty West Texas among other. Hauled oil up North. The campers do fine but you will need some updating if not already done. The water freeze ups are brutal in Dec/Jan/February. Don't trust Lowes/Home Depot heated hoses- they are junk. Go completely overboard on preparing and wrapping, heat wrapping, insulating and boxing in the hydrant and drains. Trust me on this. Frozen water or drains ruin the winter ambiance. Change out the water check valves. Hot water check valve and outside water inlet check valve. Propane is extremely dangerous if used carelessly. Use CO2 monitors and check your gas monitor. If you close in the bottom, which I'd suggest you do, make sure it has vent. Moisture creates swamp gas. It's reaks and is dangerous. H2S gas. Tornado shelter near?

Welcome to you! There are thousands of us crazies out here. It's rally not that novel of an idea - living simple, that is. It's just not very popular in our culture. Yet.

Latest posts