Small gathering In North East PA. Sept 2019

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buster1903

Reaction score
I have reserved a campsite in Delaware State Forest located in North East Pennsylvania From: 09/13/19 To: 09/20/19
I would like to invite CRVL members to join me there. It is free! This site has a limit of 10 persons, so as of now there are 9 spots open. I visited the site today and there looks to be room for 10 van sized vehicles without being on top of each other, but we may need to limit RV\trailer size and number. 

Before I go any further, I'm a newbie here. I'm an experienced camper, but have not been a full time nomad, and I just joined CRVL 12 days ago :blush:. If I am doing things incorrectly or braking rules I apologize in advance. I did read "Tips, Tricks and Rules" and think I understand it this time :s . Also, any advice on small CRVL group gatherings would be appreciated. 

I don't know how much interest there will be but I am going to set it as RSVP first come first serve in order of posts in this thread. 
This post is short, if there are questions ask away. 

I look forward to meeting some fellow travelers and making new connections.

I think I can make it..... doing some maintenance now on my van - should be done in a week or so.
Keep me informed. Also I travel with a 44# 13 y.o. dog.
I'm just North of Burlington VT.
dcb in VT

Hi dcb in VT,

All dogs (and other pets) are welcome. I have a 65# 11 year old mutt myself. 

The dates and campsite are firm, I already have the camping permit in hand. I will be there alone or hopefully with company. 

Good luck with your maintenance.  I'll put you in as probable.

Buster

p.s. Burlington is a great town and it's been too long since I've been there. I may be headed your way before this small gathering.

Hello Buster 1903....

Ahead of time: Thanks for the invite.

Signed up here today... After seeing your post. Like you, I'm a newbie to nomad. Experienced at camping with desire to hit the road during the winter months. Took off to Florida last year in Feb 18. Solo, lasted 4 wks came home for the summer. Getting ready to head back in Nov or Dec hopefully.

I'm in Md not far away at all, the dates fit with me.

Just so you know for the space needs, Got me a runaway trailer 6X8 including tongue what 12 ft, pulling with a Toyota FJ 4x4.

I'll get my build going, trailer is empty. Getting ready for this trip will get me started/headed in the right direction.

Looking forward to your reply.

BoyScout66

Hey BoyScout, Welcome to CRVL 

Your Toyota FJ with runaway will fit just fine. And thanks for adding your rig info so I can keep a tally of space needed.

Good luck on your build. I know a time goal/deadline always helps to motivate me. I built my own 4x8 TTT this Spring and I would like to be available to lend a hand or just advice.  

I'll put you down as a Definite.

I just got a permit for the same site for Sun-Wed. this coming week. 8/25-8/28. I'll have a better feel for the layout, water, and area stuff after. And will post more info soon.
Anyone is welcome to join me. It would be nice to have a second opinions on the site.

Any advice on small CRVL group gatherings would be appreciated.
I have experience in group gatherings, but not in Motorized\Van camping groups.
What types of info are you looking for? What might common question be?

Hey Buster1903. I'm in Pittsburgh and was thinking of driving over to your meet up for just the weekend, the 13th through the 16th. Still working and just started looking in to a life on the road. Would be camping in my car for the trip. I've done it a few times traveling back and forth to Florida over the years. I was looking for somewhere close by to try a weekend trip. I grew up camping and "roughing it" as my dad called it, while we were out for weeks at a time in our van and tent. So was wondering if I could join your gathering for just a few days. Thanks.

Buster1903 "I don't know how much interest there will be but I am going to set it as RSVP first come first serve in order of posts in this thread. 
This post is short, if there are questions ask away. 

I look forward to meeting some fellow travelers and making new connections."

OOoh, I am super interested in a NE gathering, though I'm not sure if I can finagle this one.
Either way, thanks for jumping in & getting things going.

yea you are there now, was it what ya hoped and be good for your gathering? can't make it but sure interested and hoping it goes fab for ya'll who can make it happen!

More info on this campsite.

• Verizon -- 2 bars and LTE, but it comes and goes, good about 70% of the time.
  • It's a designated campsite  about 50ft of gravel road off of a quiet paved road. Hard level ground, cut grass, part open field part shade in the trees, fire ring and picnic table. No other facilities. Carry in carry out. Space is limited. I had hoped to bring a gas powered weed-wacker and clear some more ground but this is explicitly forbidden. Even for grass? :huh:  However this is still a large campsite. "It hold 2 40ft. class A's with room to spare" these are the forest office words not mine. No ground clearance issues, I drove all over the place in my Honda Civic (even the unmowed areas :angel: ).  Caveat: Going slow and keeping your tires on the high spots is usually a good idea. My car would scrape bottom if I went too fast and didn't pay attention.
  • Free potable public water well < 8 miles 
  • It's the Poconos so there's lots to do, and Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area is right next door. 
  • Convenience store, gas, pizza, Dollar General, and more < 5mi. Walmart 15mi. 
  • Elevation about 1350 ft. 
  • Temp:  September average 70° / 51°
I hope that covers it. Any questions??

Attachments

• IMG_5468.JPG
    IMG_5468.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5469.JPG
    IMG_5469.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5465.JPG
    IMG_5465.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5463.JPG
    IMG_5463.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 21
MeiraNomadRN said:
Thank you!!  Those pictures are making me want to get my crap together & attend!!

See if you can make it happen, it would be great to have you join us. 

Right now it's 
dcb in VT
BoyScout66
barbunwired   13th through the 16th
And me 
So, there's room even if you want to come for a night or two. All you really need is a place to sleep (The back of your Pilot or a tent) a good warm sleeping bag and something soft to sleep on. The rest is food, fun, and fluff, and I can help with most of that. You don't need your full nomadic life rig all figured out to come hang at the camp and meet people. 

This goes for all. While it would be great to have you there the whole time it's not necessary. If your close and just want to make it a day trip that works for me. The whole point of this is to give nomads (and want to be nomads) a place and chance to get together.

Thanks for the welcome Buster1903!

I'm looking forward to the meetup. It will be great to be out in the woods again. Sadly, it's been a while for me.

My job is getting to be too stressful and I'm not getting any younger. So...time to consider the nomadic lifestyle I've always been drawn to. I will have to sell my house, get a rig, etc., but I've been planning for a while and have some ideas. I think a get together with like minded souls like you will be great!

Thanks for organizing this. It is just what I was looking for. My eventual goal is to head west for a portion of the year, and come back to visit the fam in the east once in a while. But I'm still a forest loving gal, so we'll see how that goes. I may not enjoy the desert as much as I hope.

Looking forward to meeting you and anyone else there! Thanks again.

I'm looking forward to meeting you to barbunwired. I hope we ease the stress for a few days. 
I like your goal/plan for a nomadic life, mine are very similar  :)

Ok, I’m ready to commit!
Definitely coming in on the 13th, staying ‘til the 17th or ??

I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am. !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.