PA - Small Gathering In North East PA. Sept 2020

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chris84 and Firebuild  Glad you are interested, I will keep you informed. Hope the world keeps spinning and everything lines up for us in September  :)

dcbinVT - April, 2nd: National Ferret Day is now on my calendar. I have no excuse for forgetting it next year.

I am definitely coming. I missed last year's due to not keeping up on my Forum reading. Not going to happen this time. Even though I have a beautiful view of the river from my regular parking spot, it will be nice to get away from the city.

In the area where we will be parking, is tent camping allowed? I have a friend who is interested in van living. She wants to take her four yr old daughter camping and has been wanting me to go with her but I'm really not into sleeping on the hard ground LOL. This sounds like it would be perfect for her.

HungryCoyote said:
I am definitely coming. I missed last year's due to not keeping up on my Forum reading.
In the area where we will be parking, is tent camping allowed? 

HungryCoyote- You are on the list  :)
And you are not the only one to miss last year's event because of missing the forum post. I only posted the invite to join me 2 months ahead of time. That was a short time to see the post and make plans to be there. I had been reading  a lot of posts here about wanting a gathering in the NE and spur of the moment decided to make it happen. 

Yes, tent camping will be allowed at any site we pick. And was allowed at last years site 

If we can get a permit (free of charge) for the same site as last year, There was a picnic table and fire ring. The site had an open field as well as a wooded area for parking or setting up tents. It was accessible to all verticals (I was there in a Honda Civic) but we may need to limit RV\trailer size and number (25 footers and over) as space is limited. All dogs (and other pets) are welcome, but leashes are a MUST! (and park rules). 

Note: There is no nomadic or camping experience necessary.
I hope this is a good opportunity to get out there, give it a try, and meet new people. I will be here to help you. I have 30+ years of camping, backpacking, canoe camping experience.  And more recently nomadic traveling experience.  Hope to see you out there  :)

I will hopefully come.  Depends on how virus thing works out.   Coming from NY in my van with small, non-barking, well behaved dog, who is always on leash.  Is there anyplace nearby there to kayak?

I'm in the central PA area usually. I'd like to get in touch with fellow nomads

Well I'm here to report that I have nothing to report. We are still in a holding pattern. Motorized camping in the area is still closed, I can't even get a permit in advance. I'm on all their e-mail notification lists and I will let you know of any changes.

ColdBrook - I think we are all waiting to see how the virus plays out. Dogs are welcome but leash is a must. The Delaware river and Delaware Water Gap National Rec Area are close. You are on the list

Dakotalee - Welcome to the forum! If you can make the gathering great, everyone who made it last year has kept in touch and we are looking forward to meeting fellow nomads too. If you don't or can't make the gathering not a problem, send me a PM and maybe we can meet up for a smaller site since we are not far apart. You are on the list

Vonbrown - Thanks for your interest, I will keep you and everyone informed, even if the only information I have is that there is no new information :) . Your are on the list

What if further south in Wharton State Forest? More primitive areas may be available.

Weight said:
What if further south in Wharton State Forest? More primitive areas may be available.

Thanks for the suggestion Weight. I have been to Wharton State Forest and it is a great place. But, as far as I know there is no free drive-up or RV boondock camping there. The primitive sites there are hike in only. I live in New Jersey and I have found it very hard in this state to find any free boondock camping site within the rules of its area. While I believe there are many places we can get away with it, I would not take an organized group anywhere we were not clearly allowed to be.
If I am wrong about Wharton State Forest or you know of other places in NJ please let me know

i get chance i will inquire. I think the office will open soon. There are large open areas around Atsion. A large parking area at Batsto mansion. Also Buttonwood Hill. Unfortunate all closed do to corona. I don't want to get too far from central location for most.

Please keep me posted. It will depend on my work schedule if I can attend but my job is not secure so otherwise... no problem!

Sorry, We have no dates for this years gathering yet. In PA there is still no "motorized camping" allowed. And I can't even get a permit in advance that would reserve the site. We are shooting for mid to late September

To be honest, it is not looking good for this years gathering. But I have not given up yet. I will keep you all informed.

Good News!

Applications for permits are now being accepted to reserve our gathering sites. We should have a confirmation in a few days.
Also, our extended search for alternate sites has proved fruitful and we are working on backup plans.
We might have set dates soon.

Sorry for the abrupt change in optimism. Sometimes someone steps up with their enthusiasm, [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]offers[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] to help, and [/font]desire, that and can rejuvenate all our "Can Do" attitude. Thank you Dave!

Hi Buster, I would like to attend  the gathering in north east Pa.  I live in Rockland County N. Y. and I am looking for fellow vandwellers in the northeast.  Please keep me posted on the dates.  Thank you  Alice

I'm hoping you all are safe and comfortable.
Buster :) Many thanks for all you do! 
Please include me in the loop. I hope to have 4 attending / 3 vehicles. I would wake them now but not a good way to keep friends.
Teri in a minivan ...  sticks and bricks in Lakewood NJ?
PS can we invite Bob ?

Buster,
Hi. Thanks for organizing a small gathering in Sept in PA Poconos.  
I am a friend of Lakewoodteri.  She already mentioned 4 people and 3 rigs wanting to attend the sept gathering.  I represent 2 of those people and 1 rig.  We’d very much like to attend if there is still room.
I also live in NJ.
     Thanks,  Jackie

I am sorry to say at this point I feel the need to cancel this year‘s north east gathering in Pennsylvania.
Everyone’s enthusiasm to join and support the gathering has been fantastic and I will absolutely be trying to do this again next year. For this year however trying to secure a site and organize this event with the virus crisis going on has proved a little overwhelming. Things were looking good just a week ago but with this situation plans seem to have a way of suddenly going sideways.

Keep your eyes out for a new thread early spring next year for a small north east gathering 2021.

I hope everyone is safe and healthy
Buster

Hi Buster
Just want to say thanks for all you did! I volunteer for the next adventure. 
I plan to pop into northern PA or NJ for the Perseid meteor shower. 
Many thanks  
Teri

Buster,

A great try against overwhelming odds. Thanx for all you do & did.

Dave Bowers

PS: Maggie & Butternut are sorely disappointed!

Hope to see you all next year.