Small gathering In North East PA. Sept 2019

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't make this one this time, but I'm sure happy to see some folks over on my side of the country, so please keep in touch.  I've been a member for seven years, but haven't gotten on the road yet, lol.  Well, I did buy a rig back in 2015 but stayed in a park (not my piece of cake), then life plans changed and I bought a house and moved to another state to take care of a grand child.  Now I'm done with that responsibility and back on the path to hitting the road.  Even if I don't have a rig yet, I could car camp from time to time - if I can find my tents in storage 0_0
The lead time was really good too, as I still work full time and it would be enough time to put in for PTO.

Great to see the initiative, and I can't wait to hear how it goes - the spot looks very nice!  I hope y'all post when your're there (if possible) and definitely when you get back.  Good luck and have fun, and welcome to the group :)

Yep :)   Personal Time Off (something we working people have to use very sparingly)  I will be more explanatory on my acronyms, I promise.

T-minus eight days, my friends!

I feel like a broken record, but I really am so excited about this. I'm excited to meet you all and hear your stories and see your rigs . . .

I have assessed my personal needs and while I can contentedly forgo a lot of things, I MUST have strong fresh brewed coffee first thing in the morning and it must have half & half. So i've been debating if I should bring my Kelty folding cooler & some cooler shock packs, or just rely on the ultra high pasteurization to keep half & half for four days. I've taken on road trips and found it annoying but I wonder if it's better than nothing. I suspect the cooler is basically useless compared to most coolers on the market and especially compared to Yeti, etc. Also I watch a video where they put milk jugs of ice in a cooler and compared them to ice -- the cooler with just milk jugs still ended up with lots of water in the bottom -- is that due to condensation?

Please, share your opinions on my cooler debate! (y'know, if you're bored, if you care, lol)

I've tried myriads of ways to keep milk products cold on the road, and the freezer gel packs always have the longest life span for me. You could also freeze your half and half and just shake it really well each time you use it, in addition to whatever cooling process you try. Or carry those little half and half containers that require no refrigeration.

And yes, the water is from the condensation that arises from the exterior warm air vs the cold in the milk jug (although I have found frozen water bottles last a bit longer than regular ice, and sometimes beat out the gel packs as well - and then you have water to drink/bathe/use as well when it is melted, so it's a two-fer)

Have fun, I really wish I could go!

A quick thanks to all those who have posted with interest but can't make it.
rderito
RoamerRV428
SheketEchad
Your interest fuels me and your input helps. Hope you can make it when we do this next time. 
:)

MeiraNomadRN said:
I feel like a broken record, but I really am so excited about this.  I'm excited to meet you all and hear your stories and see your rigs . . .
I have assessed my personal needs and while I can contentedly forgo a lot of things, I MUST have strong fresh brewed coffee first thing in the morning and it must have half & half. 
I feel ya really feel ya!
I have fallen to instant coffee and non-dairy powered creamer :(  for backpacking and canoe camping. It works but it's hard to call it an enjoyable cup of coffee. I don't have a fridge or a cooler for my rig, and even a french press is hard to justify with my space and load limits.  I bought some powered whole milk NESTLE NIDO Fortificada it's better then I thought it would be. Haven't tried it in my coffee yet. I might try UHT pasteurized Carnation or Land O Lakes Half&Half Creamer Singles Cups if I can find them in a small quantity package. 
For you I would try your cooler and UHT creamer if it works great if not there is a convenience store 5 mi. down the road. Their coffee isn't bad ether. It's always nice to have a backup.
I think everyone who is coming is trying/testing stuff out of some sort or another. For me it's part of the fun of it. And every time I can get something to work in the field it gives me more confidence.

My thoughts on half & half:

I was going to bring my food pre-cooked and/or pre-prepped cause I'm only there for a few days. And I eat mostly beans, rice, veg, salad, nuts, fruit, seeds. Hippie food, I'm sure you're thinking. And I'm bringing a vegan chili to share that I defy anyone to tell me is not as good as regular chili!

So I'm bringing a cooler but no stove. I'm a basic, minimalist kind of person and don't even usually heat up my pre-cooked food.

Anyway, I've been trying to find a way to enjoy coffee without half & half and I haven't found it yet, lol. So...if someone's willing to boil some water on their stove for my coffee, I'll be happy to bring the half & half containers that don't need refrigeration. I've used them before and they're great. Half & half for all!

And that's all I have to say about half & half.

barbunwired said:
. . . I'll be happy to bring the half & half containers that don't need refrigeration. I've used them before and they're great.

Are you talking about the little cups you get at a deli or take-out? Or something else? Do you have a favorite brand?

Oooh, so much useful info — thank you all!!

I think I’m going to bring the cooler. To be honest, I’ve barely even considered food — I knew I had to get satisfying coffee squared away and after that I can survive on protein bars if I have to. But I’m going to hit a Trader Joe’s on my way out and see what strikes my fancy. Barbunwired spoke of ‘hippie food’ like it was a bad thing, lol. I am pro hippie food, and try to avoid processed food when budget/cravings allow. Why, in the past five years I’ve adapted to consume Brussels sprouts and asparagus in addition to the already-appreciated broccoli & green beans. It’s not much but I am ridiculously proud of it. Lol.

In other news, the weather indicates there could be a thunderstorm on Saturday. My hunch is that bad weather is one of the litmus tests of nomadism — can I contentedly spend a thunderstorm hanging out in my SUV? We shall see!

Six more sleeps!

All...
A couple of things: What about animals---- anything that will get into trash/garbage held outside in a container?
Any info on where trash can be disposed at? I assume I can burn paper products in the fire ring. I use paper plates and there is some packaging refuse. Bring in bring out - I'll find a dumpster at a gas stop otherwise. 

I do bring food - dry and cold/cool. My eating when traveling/boondocking is 'almost prepared' or semi prepared foods 
that require little in the way of preparation. Banana/Bagel or oatmeal for breakfast if chilly, lunch if eaten is a sandwich- dinner is something I can only add boiling water to or just heat. No actual cooking on the road for me. (Think about it- Propane is wonderful) And of course coffee - of the instant kind (I get 'real' coffee when I stop for gas or shopping).
Tea also.  I will once in a while go out for breakfast at a local diner as I go. I do bring some snacks.

I'm lucky that my dog loves camping and traveling - I'm not sure she can tell one tree from another but she sure loves
looking out the window as we go and is excited every time we stop.

After our get together I'll be following the weather for a while and then back to Vermont for Christmas as my (adult)
kids and family are there.

dcb in vt.

MeiraNomadRN said:
In other news, the weather indicates there could be a thunderstorm on Saturday. My hunch is that bad weather is one of the litmus tests of nomadism — can I contentedly spend a thunderstorm hanging out in my SUV? We shall see!
I think Thunderstorms are entertainment in them selves. But if it's just rainy we can hang out in a van or my tent and play cards or games. (Ooo Reminder to self bring a deck of cards, :idea: ) 

dcbinvt said:
A couple of things: What about animals---- anything that will get into trash/garbage held outside in a container?
Any info on where trash can be disposed at? I assume I can burn paper products in the fire ring. I use paper plates and there is some packaging refuse. Bring in bring out - I'll find a dumpster at a gas stop otherwise. 
With two dogs in camp wild animals will most likely stay clear.
However, yes, there are black bears, raccoons, skunks, possums, fox, even porcupines, and more. I have seen all of these in my camp over the years in NE PA. and NW NJ. Almost anything that lives in those woods will try to take advantage of an easy meal.  
My dog will get into garbage if it is left at her nose height or below as well :blush: .   When I car camp my food is stored in my trunk with cooking gear, and my garbage is hung from a tree. The only "containers" I know of that are really safe are heavy steel bearboxes. There are no bearboxes at this site.  Even hard-sided containers used by backpackers I would put up a tree. Again wild animals will stay away from dogs and we will have two in camp. But I will still ask everyone to be mindful of their food and garbage. 
Garbage: this is a "carry in carry out" site. I don't have a problem with burning paper products in the fire, but just paper products. Last time at the site I through my garbage away at a gas station on the way home. Please think about human wast as well. There are no bathrooms at the site. Peeing in the woods is fine but you need to deal with your own poop. There are public bathrooms with in 5mi. but I doubt they will be 24hr.  For your info I poop in a bag in a bucket and take it away with the rest of my garbage. just like Bob  :D

Note: I don't want to scare anyone with my list of Wild Animals I have been camping for 40 years and have seen most of those creatures meany times. I have never had a bad experience with any of these encounters, just good stories.

Hey all.

Will be glad to meet dcb's and busters's dogs.

Hey MeiraNomadRN, congrats on the brussel sprouts! They're supposedly really good for you.

Looking forward to the coming weekend.

Did no one get my reference to a movie in my last post?

Buster,... thanks for the info... Re: animals - in our travels and camping all over the country we've been close to all kinds of wildlife. My dog Maggie just looks - no barking - she can bark, just doesn't. Chasing is not in her ken.

dcb in vt

My dog Banana (yes her name is "Banana" :D ) Will cut lose at the first smell or sound of a wild animal in camp. Just a few decisive barks seems to do the job and then she is back to sleep.  I've been thinking since my first animal post, I don't think I've had any wild animal interactions in camp while Banana has been with me. She always senses them before I do and scares them off.
IMG_4308.JPGIMG_4800a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4308.JPG
    IMG_4308.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4800a.jpg
    IMG_4800a.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 15
barbunwired said:
Hippie food, And I'm bringing a vegan chili to share that I defy anyone to tell me is not as good as regular chili!

Back to food (I must be hungry). I've always been open minded about food and I have lots of good vegan and vegetarian meals. I'm definitely looking forward to to barbunwired's chili. I try to be conscience of what I eat, but when camping I am similar to dcbinvt. non or less perishable stuff like apples, bananas, peanut-butter and crackers. and simple just add boiling water to meals, roman, oatmeal, ext. I have just bought some powered whole milk and powered butter. (sorry barbunwired not exactly vegan) And it's better then I thought, I hope it opens up my meal choices on the road.
I am looking forward to learning how and what we all prepare and eat in camp.
This is going to be fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.