Size of camper trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckfornow

Reaction score
So from people’s experience on here what length camper trailer is ideal for boondocking? I read somewhere around 25 feet but looking at 27 & 28 foot trailers also?

There are some pretty tight spaces, and entry roads for boondocking a 25"+ long trailer. I have thought about turning a 7.5x16 cargo trailer into an offroad rig by giving it bigger tires, and higher ground clearance....anything smaller, and lower will drag the ground in places.

Haha! Our little 16' molded fiberglass trailer is perfect for us. We can get places the 25' guys cannot go. And some people have smaller yet trailers. I'd say get the smallest you can enjoy living out of, if your main goal is to get to more difficult spots.

A lot depends on how many people will be in it, if you are full time living in it, want to stand up, want a full bathroom, how much solar panel space you need, how long you want to stay and where on BLM land you want to go. We have basically done everything from a tent, VW bus, Honda Civic, 6’ truck topper, 80” camper trailer, 7’ truck camper, 11’ camper trailer, 21’ motor home, 24’ toy hauler, 25’ camper trailer and a 28’ motor home not in that order and had no real problems as most government thinking was areas should be designed for camping rigs less than 28’. Only place we have ever seen anything smaller was National Bridges National Park and camped on BLM land near by. After watching 35’ fifth wheels go down 4x4 only roads at Lake Powell I don’t think any thing is impossible it just depends on how much you can afford to fix! There will always be places on BLM land you can’t get to but there is always some where you can. In general the smaller the rig the more options for locations you will have.

Well I haven’t ruled out a 24 or 25 foot trailer, but we’re both 63 almost & if we go the camping route it will be our last place probably! What about room in the area to park a truck?

On BLM land it is not much of a problem. Leveling the camper maybe as finding large level spaces is more difficult. Again in general the smaller the rig the easier it will be. I personally with just two people moving every 14 days would prefer as small a trailer that would meet my needs. If I were staying several months in a long term stay area on BLM I would want something larger. Most of this is personal preference. Either way you will get used to dealing with the problems and find solutions or change rigs. The important thing is that you are comfortable with what you choose. Do you have experience towing trailers or setting up a camping trailer? Another thing to consider is the size of the truck you will be towing with small fiberglass trailers may be able to be towed with a 1/2 ton truck but most 22’ trailers are more easily towed easily with a 3/4 ton truck. Some 28’ trailers may need a 1 ton truck.

depends on your 'boondocking' kinda. are you wanting down little forest side roads that could be impossible for anything bigger than a 14 ft small camper trailer can handle type thing......or are ya talking maybe doing overnight stops at rest areas for sleeping and then hitting up like a low cost per night COE or State Park for your final destination.

BoondockersWelcome has sites that can accommodate larger rigs etc.
HarvestHosts are a possibility, again having room for more larger rigs maybe.

But in the forest, down dirt roads and more, the smaller you stay the better your options.

We are 2 people and we have a 30 ft box toyhauler but of course with tongue it is 34 in length total. We can't go any smaller. The floorplans and privacy in smaller is not enough for us so this is our option for as small as we are willing to go for living in our camper in the near future.
We drag that thing everywhere but we need the master bedroom as one private space and the living interior for another bit of private space. We love each other big time but hell we need private time also to get away from each other when needed.

but if you are talking boondocking down small side roads and such, the smaller you are the less for any damage, getting stuck, and all other factors are minimized ya know.

So know your true type of camping you are gonna do and then truly fit that trailer around it.

I have a cargo trailer. it has a 24' by 8.5' wide 8' tall box and an extended tongue so it is like almost 30'. like Roamer I drag it all over the place. however I have been dragging trailers all over since I was 16. what I am trying to say is it depends on the driver.

as a side note I have already have got desert pin-stripping front to back top to bottom. I have also scrapped a tree. it comes with the territory, the price you pay to get out in the boonies.

there is no doubt smaller trailers are easier to maneuver.

highdesertranger

however I have been dragging trailers all over since I was 16. what I am trying to say is it depends on the driver.

----------yup. what HDR says here is very true. What are you capable of and in what situations.
My hubby is a farmer his whole life, backing and trailering big trailers, gooseneck horse trailers and hay wagons and more and can truly handle any size situation with his towing, NOW me, I am lower than him but I can handle myself with a horse trailer and more but he is way more comfortable in tight situations than I am, but I got more experience than alot of people dragging their rv's to the beach on a vacay a few times a year LOL

so HDR is right....comfort in what you do tow is truly a real deal thing :) you gotta remember this is the thing you will be dealing with on a daily basis and boy you want it easier than miserable!

We get along really well, for the most part, but part of my wanting a larger size trailer is because I don’t know if this happens for how long before maybe we have to be in one place more than traveling, 63 doesn’t seem like that old.
But years of kneeling on concrete & seat tracks working on aircraft, a back that has rods & screws & nerve damage & my wife has heart issues, if we even get to do this that we want to??

I’m not worried about the backing of the trailer, I haven’t done it much, but did move aircraft around, with practice I know I can do that part!
So for leveling a trailer in the woods it seems like you need to carry a lot of 4x4’s etc to get more distance for leveling jacks, right & plywood!
We tent camped a lot in wildlife management areas especially in Arkansas! So roughing it we’re used to!

for leveling I use rocks that way I don't need to carry anything. if there are no rocks around I dig a hole on the high side and drive into it. of course you can't do that in campgrounds but most campgrounds have a fairly flat pad. also fill any holes when you leave. highdesertranger

My wife and I are older than you and have figured out pretty much what we hope will work for us for the next few years. We have a 25’ camper trailer and a 28’ motor home both of which are stationary on base camp lots. The one in Arizona is $880 a year and allows us storage for our old truck camper which we use for short trips (week or two 300 mile trips with the grandkids usually but not always). The one in Utah is paid for through my wife’s job which she will retire from in a few years and also allows us to have a 24’ home built toy hauler as we hope to do more travel once she retires(hopefully a big loop up through the Northwest). All except the trailer in Arizona are old or home built as a sort of hobbies of mine. Between working and not owning property/house we have been able to enjoy living this way and living where we want to. I would highly recommend building out a cargo trailer if you have the skills as most RVs are not very well built, come from the factory with problems and because of the pandemic super over priced. Teardrops and Tiny Trailers site has a great forum on cargo trailer build outs. If you are not able to do this then I would recommend you get a smaller older used (don’t spend a lot of money) camper trailer after checking it out completely and “test the waters” to see if you like the lifestyle and determine exactly what works for you and experience what has worked for others you will meet. The long term stay areas during this group normal gathering times in winter and Escapees Club offers some gatherings where there are plenty of people to get ideas from.

My suggestion is that you rent a few sizes of trailers and go on some weekend trips in them. No one can tell you in a casual conversation exactly what size of trailer or what brand ab
Nd layout is going to work for you. Another option is to go and visit RV dealers, walk into them, stand up, sit down, lie down on the beds. Sit on the toilet seat, pretend you are taking a shower, brushing teeth ,cooking a meal, getting dressed, watching TV, use the dinette to sit down in. With back issues you simply must do this type of preview to figure out what causes you pain. Otherwise you will not be a happy
Camper on any length of trip, not even a sitting in it in the driveway trip. Dinette seats are usually intolerable for anyone with a bad back unless the are captain's chair swivel types that are easy to get in and out of and have good back support.

Well I know we will sit down etc in trailers we look at, I was just trying to find out how large a trailer will work! As to “ the bad back “ I have had fusion surgery at L5-S1 so the screws are were I sit & according to the VA I have Tramatic Arthritis around the hardware & Nerve Damage so comfort is only a dream anymore!
I have been looking at different trailers that might fit what we want & I found the Outdoor RV they have one model that is called the Backcountry model any body have any knowledge on these?
Just a dream right now, we’re stuck here until at least November & not sure how long?
Depends on how much longer my Mom survives!

I would avoid any trailer with a slide out. They increase the weight of the trailer and usually require being on a ladder and extra maintenance as well as being prone to expensive repairs.

"I would avoid any trailer with a slide out."

I would also avoid if you plan on doing a lot of off pavement driving.

highdesertranger

If you both have terrible backs I’d be thinking of bed placement and space first. What size bed do you need?

We ended up getting a bigger rig for only one reason. Bad backs and needing more space for a larger bed.

I don’t know how tall you are but RV beds can be shorter than standard sized beds also which you may need to take into consideration.

Since you have bad backs you might want to also consider a walk around bed. Many RVs have a bed against the wall which means someone ends up having to climb over to go to the bathroom at night.

I was very happy in my 23’ Class B plus RV but the bed situation was making it impossible as well as it being a horrible night’s rest.

We had to get a big rig in order to have the bed we needed. What we ended up with is a king size bed that is really two twins together. We have space all the way around to walk. We bought adjustable bed frames and put them on the box that the old bed sat on. Both sides adjust separately like a hospital bed with a remote. On my side is a twin sleep number bed and on his is a memory foam mattress.

The bed frame is a zero clearance thing. Before we opted to get these going to bed was a nightmare. I could barely get up and breathe in the mornings. It was expensive in the end but worth every cent. It’s hard to put a price on comfort when not doing so is an unacceptable excruciating misery.

Pic of bed frame

cd7975112183a2a07195c14376c119c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a queen size bed, don’t need a king size, luckily I sleep we have a bed in a box mattress & box spring setup right now & it’s surprising comfortable! Just wish my wife could sleep, she doesn’t have a bad back, heart problems & since her hysterectomy years ago!
Does your larger rv have slide outs?