Sitting on the fence

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moondancer5

Reaction score
I recently read a thread on facebook that a lady with an older Ford Windstar posted stating she was almost ready to travel hoping to make it to Quartzite.  She got several positive replies and then was told instead of worrying about finding a good mechanic if she needed one, she should invest in a more reliable vehicle.I then also posted that I also had an older Windstar and was considering the same trip.  I guess that was a big mistake.  The thread got a blast basically saying how stupid it was and it would probably include depending on others charity.  Ok.  I can see if you have money to buy a better vehicle but what if you do not have the money.  I do not know the lady who posted the thread or her financial position except for what she posted.  I also do not know what she is going to do.  The thread made me very depressed.  I have been praying on it.  But I feel I need some advise.  I am currently homeless (first time).  I have a 2003 Ford Windstar and a blind 17 year old Yorkie.  I have been couch surfing but that ran out today.  Have the rest of my belongings in storage.  Had planned on emptying storage and doing a no build build and leaving central Fla for somewhere (I don't know where) and becoming a nomad.  But have less than a months expenses as a safety net.  Now, after reading the thread I do not want to risk becoming a burden to others.  But I can not figure out how to stay in central Fl and exist.  No apts I can afford and yr long waiting list.  Any advise ?  I truly do not know what to do.

Your Windstar is still running only by the grace of God, and maybe some duct tape. Those things weren't built to last. You might never make it even halfway to Quartzite. So, there's that...and despite all the hype, you can't just transition into a nomadic lifestyle without resources. All that'll happen is that you'll fail and make yourself miserable in the process. And as far as relying on the kindness of others--great when it works. Not so great when it doesn't.

I agree that you can't stay where you are--the weather, among other factors, makes Florida a horrible place to be homeless (or, as they say, "houseless"). So this is the time to circle the wagons. Sell or dispose of everything you don't need. Access whatever help is available. Get on SNAP. Sign up for whatever health plan is available. Scrape together whatever money you have.

You didn't say how you've earned money in the past or how you might now. You can't live the nomadic lifestyle (or any lifestyle other than living in a hole in the ground) without income. Are you old enough to be collecting Social Security? Do you have any regular income? Would you be able to work if the opportunity arose?

You see, the nomadic/vanlife lifestyle isn't particularly easy or cheap. You'll have to make massive emotional, personal, and practical adjustments to make it work. You'll be constantly amazed by the things you have to spend money on that you took for granted in "normal" life.

So I would consider that a final option at best. Tell us more about your situation and resources, and maybe someone here can give you a better answer.

you don't mention if you can work. If you can, go to Craigslist and setup search alerts for room rentals. You should be able to fin something for $700 per month or less. if you can't work, you're stuck. you need financial resources - social security, pension, work on the road skills, etc. to fund the lifestyle

I have a 2001 Econoline 150. Has run great since the day I bought it 4 years ago. Still running great, as verified by my mechanic. I've had brakes, shocks, and some front-end work on it. Now has 230,000 miles on it.

It isn't the age of the vehicle that counts, it's how well it's been taken care of.

I am 76, on tiny social security. Have Medicare and partial Medicaid. Have a small amount of SNAP. I have been looking for help for over 2 months. I can get a free lunch outside the Mission Monday thru Friday. There is no other help here. The senior housing waiting lists are all (3 towns around me) over 1 year wait or closed. Section 8 is closed. I have several 5 x 10 storage units. One I am putting things in as I go through things, hoping to sell some stuff. The other one is things I need to live until I can make my minivan able to live in. I do not know what else to do. The only places open 24hrs a day here are 2 hospital s and 2 Walmart.I have outlived all of my relatives and all but 1 friend. Am staying on friends recliner right now but her mobile home park has a visitor time limit. And in 2 weeks she goes up north for 3 months. So I am trying to deal with stuff as fast as I can. But do not know what to do next.

Have you been in touch with the senior center where you live?

They may be able to help you with information on housing options.

I’m wondering if since you are homeless you would be higher on the priority list for federally subsidized housing?

Do you have an application in?

Have you considered a shelter?

Good luck to you.

There are possibilities but a lot depends on you, your physical health, abilities and finances. If you can simplify your lifestyle and adapt to living on the road or even cheaply in an RV many times it can be done extremely cheaply. If you have specific questions ask but better answers will depend on how much we know about your situation. Coolworks.com can provide some easy jobs with housing. Escapees club has a park in Florida you may visit with cheap rents if you can get a self contained RV. Caravans are forming out west. If you are a veteran there may be some help where you are. There are several older people with housing problems here that can give you information on what they have to do to survive. Most in the east are trying to get to Florida for the winter and stay in free or low priced camping areas building their vans as they can or making do with what they have as warmer temps make for easier outdoor living.

I know this might come off kinda rough but your relatives suck.

They are family and among them all they can't come up with some basic money combined to boot ya up a bit, put some work into your vehicle and get you 'living in that vehicle' so you 'do have a home'? Not like you are asking for them to buy you a home or build you a new van or anything, but they can't even HELP you at all to get your vehicle in decent shape to live in it? WOW I feel ya man! Families should come together to help the elderly truly but sounds like while yours will give you a sofa to sleep on, at some point they boot ya out and wash their hands of your real long term needs.

HOWA, did you contact them? They help, I heard in situations like this.

Your Windstar is livable now so move into it, start driving. I mean you are taking limited charity from the relatives, what does it matter if some stranger helps you out and about trying to get, where? Travel and moving all the times means your vehicle must be somewhat reliable but if you are moving to a 'better location' to settle more in your van and put down roots then you can travel a bit but darn you got a rough situation for sure.

Wishing you the best of the best and go find support in any fashion you can but you also have to kinda make a decision and go straight at it. When overwhelmed all decisions are tough to handle, which way to go, what to do, but figure out what you want, then make a bee line to get that action accomplished. Good luck

One observation I would add is that three storage units cost money, and almost certainly contain mostly stuff you don't need. So plug that leak ASAP.

Do you NEED to leave central Florida, you are just coming into good weather in your home state. Look into spending your first Winter poking around on BLM land in Fla rather than the big trip to Arizona.

The only thing I have to add to what people have already said is that, while obviously the immediate short-term challenges are the most pressing, do try to think ahead a little, too. If you think that, a year from now, you might still want to stay in one of those places with a one-year waiting list, get on those lists! I know it can be very hard to think about at times like this, but the year will pass, and if you can start that solution "cooking" now, you may be very glad to have it later.

Also, have you checked out any services available through the Florida Department of Elder Affairs (https://elderaffairs.org/)? Or called their Elder Helpline (1-800-963-5337)? I have no idea how useful they could be, but it seems worth a shot.

Apologies if that ^^ is "coals to Newcastle"; you did say you've already been looking for solutions. For another that you may have already thought of: sometimes agencies that offer one service, like your meal place, have information about other resources too.

Sometimes your best bet in accessing services is in the location where you have already established residency. So don't necessarily think about leaving Florida as soon as you become a nomad. Especially if your car is in shaky condition, you don't want to start with an ambitious journey if you don't have to. (That said, I have no idea how nomad-friendly FL is. I know there have been some threads here about nomad-ing there, but I can't remember if they were the "hope to do this" or "already did this and it was great" type.)

Finally, don't be too impressed with what you read in a random Facebook thread. People do love to jump on the umbrage train! Even if the gist of what they said turns out to be true, no reason for you to feel stupid or depressed. I don't know how unreliable your car make/model really is, but a lot depends on maintenance history too. 

Oops I guess that was more than one thing.

Above all, good luck!!!

No, I do not need to leave Fl. But I just do not know where I can boondock. In my town there are 2 hospitals and 2 Walmart. Nothing else is open 24 hours.

So you need to focus on acquiring local info. Begin wiith finding out the local parking ordinances. Every town has their own set of rules. They publish them on the website for the town. Diffetent areas in a town may have different rules. You need to find a dozen or so places to safely park and rotate between them.

But no stranger living elsewhere can tell you where those great parking spots will be. You have to get in hhe drivers seat and go find them yourself.

The nomadic life only works well for those who are both resourceful and adaptable. So that is your assignment, find out the rules in town and start searching for good spots. Work at it then and keep on working at spotting new places to park. Make it into a game that becomes habitual so that you can become good very at it.

Have you read Bob Wells's book How to Live in a Car, Van, or RV (here's the Amazon link) yet? The ebook is very affordably priced, and it might give you just the sorts of tips you need right now.

Moondancer5, this may be an odd question on the surface...

Have you ever been legally married, and if so, for how long?

If you were married to the same person for at least ten years, you can collect from their social security.

I have heard of several women who were told by their husbands that they can't touch his SS after a divorce. THIS IS A LIE.

moondancer ------ for Florida.....the traveling rv people, Gone with the Wynns highlighted a free campsite location in FL.
I don't remember where LOL but they did a youtube video on them staying for free in a nice boondocking camping area with their Class A motorhome......so maybe that could be some info you look up, see where they stayed and it might be an option plus it might open up more where to boondock info for you. best of luck

moondancer.Do you have enough income to feed yourself?Are you able to work?What are your long term plans to improve your situation?Is your auto running,with tags and ins?How long would you need free parking?