Silicon Valley invests in fix-all cure to growing old

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who wants to live forever?

I just want to not hurt all the time.

gsfish said:
What will it feel like to be on the outside watching the 1%ers taking advantage of this technology? How will society cope with a situation where the 'working class' still has a life expectancy of 80 years and the 'management class' is hundreds of years old and counting? Will the owners of this technology eventually control the world? It would be a near Godlike power. Would be a good scenario for a SCI FI movie but I don't see it happening in the real world. I imagine that D Cheney is keeping his eye on progress though. HA!

Guy

I believe that the sci fi flick "Elysium" was at least in part pretty near this...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535108/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

IF this 'technology' were applied to everyone, and at the rate our population is growing....... Earth is going to get mighty crowded with oldsters.... :)
And will the retirement ages be increased to meet the change? Do we really want to have to work for a hundred fifty years or more, if we have a life expectancy of two hundred?
A couple of different original Star Trek episodes explored this idea. The results were not pretty.

gsfish said:
What will it feel like to be on the outside watching the 1%ers taking advantage of this technology? How will society cope with a situation where the 'working class' still has a life expectancy of 80 years and the 'management class' is hundreds of years old and counting? Will the owners of this technology eventually control the world? It would be a near Godlike power. Would be a good scenario for a SCI FI movie but I don't see it happening in the real world. I imagine that D Cheney is keeping his eye on progress though. HA!

Guy
It doesn't make sense that only the 1% would get this technology, but let's assume they do. We'd have riots of a proportion never before seen. Society would grind to a halt. This benefits nobody. Because these therapies would only have to be applied roughly once every 10 years, there's just more money to be made if you charge everybody, say, $10k (1k/year) instead of the top 1% millions. It doesn't make sense from a profit perspective, and this is assuming it isn't subsidized by taxes and declared free to everyone for humanitarian reasons. As for whether or not it can happen, well, I don't see any compelling reason to believe it can't be done.

LeeRevell said:
IF this 'technology' were applied to everyone, and at the rate our population is growing.......   Earth is going to get mighty crowded with oldsters....   :)
And will the retirement ages be increased to meet the change?  Do we really want to have to work for a hundred fifty years or more, if we have a life expectancy of two hundred?
A couple of different original Star Trek episodes explored this idea.  The results were not pretty.

I talk to dozens of people daily on Omegle about this technology, and 99% invariably give the same knee-jerk reaction as their first answer: overpopulation. Our population is already growing at a rate which will be a problem if we don't make some changes. The issue isn't the amount of people, but the amount of carbon being produced by each person. It's a matter of inefficient energy, but we have companies like Tesla making strides in that area. Look at a population density map of the US and you'll see that 90% are on the coasts. There is an enormous amount of space left on the land, not to mention the possibility of floating cities on our oceans, and just look at how inefficiently we use space in most rural areas. Huge houses, huge yards. I don't need to tell you all that there's a movement toward smaller, simpler living that's only going to continue. Also, outer space. Mars is just the first step.

Food: something like 40% of all the food produced in this country ends up in the garbage. We can already feed everyone, it's just a matter of distribution. And with vertical farms, we can produce enough food to feed billions more.

Developed countries show a trend of declining new births. Japan now sells more adult diapers than baby diapers. South Korea, if I'm remembering the country correctly, has incentives to sterilize yourself, and actually has a shrinking population. It's projected that they will completely die out in 500 years. If it comes to it, a law could be passed limiting new births. People can afford to wait longer to have a kid as they'll live a lot longer.

Working: Given the nature of the technology and aging, it's unlikely that we'll only be living to 200. The first versions will probably be far from perfect and might only give a 100 year extension, but those 100 years buy us time while the kinks are being worked out. Given the exponential rate at which technology recursively improves, it won't be long from then until the damage of aging can be repaired for many centuries, if not indefinitely.

As specialized robots take over more and more general labor jobs, things are going to have to change. As time goes on more people are turning to the internet as their workplace. There just won't be enough general labor jobs for everyone. Robots are cheaper than people in the long run. Some countries have already instituted a Basic Income to provide every citizen with enough money for food and shelter. It's only a matter of time before this is universal.

All of these problems are well worth thinking about but they're blown way out or proportion, and are dwarfed by the problem we have today called aging that kills everybody, and they're all much easier to solve. Let's say the cure for cancer gave everyone an extra 50 good years (unlikely as Alzheimer's and heart disease would kick in before then), we'd still have to deal with the fears of overpopulation and everything else, and we already do. The work being done by SENS is to keep people healthy. It's meant to prevent the disabilities of old age; living a lot longer is just an obvious side effect.

Here's a video that goes into a little more detail and also gets into why we don't like to think about curing aging and would rather fatalistically believe it to be impossible. "Rational irrationality"

[video=youtube]

My knee jerks no more than any man's, except to put my size fifteen boondocker up the posterior of a youngster speaking out of turn. I make a very valid point. Lowering the deathrate while extending the lifespan is a recipe for disaster. It brings the crash sooner than otherwise. The canard of "carbon footprint" will not have time to even enter the equation. Can you truly expect man to mend his ways for sheer altruism? Your perception of human nature is lacking.

And altruism aside, things will change out of necessity, just as the internet has forced cable companies to adapt, kicking and screaming, in order to stay alive.

8736d20bbe02d0f4f9960fd4cbb065de331859d69cf53209c54e05cb97ce80af.jpg

K1ngN0thing said:
And altruism aside, things will change out of necessity, just as the internet has forced cable companies to adapt, kicking and screaming, in order to stay alive.

Next decade try telling that to the inner city welfare crowd, the dirt poor Indian and Chinese natives, the extreme poor of all third world nations.  NOTHING will have changed.  Except their population has grown by orders of magnitude.  

And once these medicines are developed, that view will be antiquated. All it's doing now is holding back progress. It made sense to make peace with aging when there was nothing we could do about it; you'd go crazy otherwise. Equate aging with a Dragon Tyrant (www.nickbostrom.com/fable/dragon.html) and tell me that viewpoint makes sense. Nobody wants to grow sick and frail. Nobody wants to stop existing. Saying "well that's just the way things are" is not satisfactory. I'd rather try to do something about the problem.

If we were born into a world where these medicines had already existed for thousands of years and people never died of aging, every single one of us would take the pill. We just don't want to think it's possible to solve aging because then we're faced with the fact that it might not be here in time for us. I choose not to contribute to this self-fulfilling prophecy.

If this thread was combined with the Soylent thread~~~~ :rolleyes:

LeeRevell said:
Next decade try telling that to the inner city welfare crowd, the dirt poor Indian and Chinese natives, the extreme poor of all third world nations.  NOTHING will have changed.  Except their population has grown by orders of magnitude.  

And these people will all die of aging unless we do something about it. Being alive and on welfare is better than death. The billions of dollars being spent to futilely combat illness in the elderly will be freed up if we can simply prevent these illnesses. Maybe then we could afford a basic income system (though we already can). Sure, it's the most idealistic outcome, but yours assumes nothing else will change. Reality will probably lie somewhere in the middle. We won't know until we get there, and a "what if" is a pretty poor reason not to try. These are all smaller problems compared to an inevitably long, painful decline.

To be in favor of aging you have to be in favor of cancer, Alzheimer's, heart disease, and the other illnesses associated with old age. They're predominately illnesses of the elderly for a reason. They result from a lifelong accumulation of damage that eventually becomes pathological. They're symptoms. The point is keeping people healthy. We've already doubled the average lifespan, but because we're already benefiting from this medicine, of course we're not going to argue against vaccines (oh, wait...). We're inevitably going to greatly extend the average healthy lifespan.

We cling to the fear of overpopulation like dogma. If we have to die, at least it's for the greater good, right? I suspect that's just what we tell ourselves, when in reality we just don't like the idea that people of the future won't be condemned to painful, early deaths like we are. So first we say that it's not possible. Then we say it would be bad for humanity. Then we say that it might be possible, and it actually might not be that bad for humanity, but it won't happen for hundreds of years. This is all to ease our own fears. THAT's what's selfish.

It's not the inevitability of death that gives life meaning, but the possibility of it. The fact that life has come this far in spite of everything is beautiful. You don't need to be condemned to death at 80 to appreciate that. Speaking for myself, life became more meaningful once I learned people were actually working on the problem as it's something that's been on my mind from very early on. I don't care if you don't want aging/the illnesses of old age to be cured, but don't claim doing so would be a bad thing without evidence.

Relevant (on overpopulation [I haven't watched it yet]):

As an aside: people talk about altruism not existing, yet have convinced themselves that their death is for the greater good. If that's not altruism, I don't know what is.

It also doesn't make sense to not develop these medicines even if the poor won't benefit immediately. Solving a problem for some people is better than solving it for everyone, and the poor will NEVER benefit from it if it's never developed. Nobody seems to care that the world's poorest populations don't have the computers we're communicating with right now. How many people making this argument are doing something to help the poor?

Just finished that documentary. Some great info within. It shows, among other things, how child birth rates have decreased over time as lifespan increases, and how back when the population was at 3 billion just 50 years ago, experts claimed the planet wouldn't be able to sustain much more. Improved technology = greater carrying capacity, and we're in the midst of the technological revolution. We have machines that can print objects, buildings, and soon other machines. It's going to be a wild ride.

Maybe I'm a little too combative on the subject. It's just frustrating seeing the same unsubstantiated arguments day after day. It's a matter of life and death, and it feels like everyone's drinking the punch.

After several near death experiences, I am comfortable with my mortality.

Let those with money throw it at the problem, but there is no way anything they do will make me live forever.

Where I am is under a severe storm warning for the next couple days, so I am hurting in many places on many bones, some of which I was not born with.

My life has already been extended, but without laws changing I will not be able to get what I need to relieve my pain.