Sign Language for Deaf Dogs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even hearing dogs respond better to hand signals and boy do they come in handy when at a distance. My hand help up palm out will stop my dogs as well as the wait command. I do let them run in the back of the campground early in the morning when few people are here and God forbid I hear a car. I can stop them, walk over, and snap a leash on without waking anybody by screaming.

That sounds like a good idea, but how can you give a command when the dog is looking at everything but you? Probably have to have them on a leash so you can jiggle it a bit to get their attention.

Nah, a well trained dog is very aware of their master and keep eyes on him/her.

Dave

We train dogs to respond certain ways to certain words. They hear this, they're supposed to do that. So they can be trained to respond to signals just as well. Hell, they could be trained to respond to colors or shapes.

I wish all dog owners understood their dog has no idea what their masters are saying unless they've been TRAINED what the words mean.

I taught my standard sized Poodle to read. I have three flash cards with sit, down, and paw on them and as i hold them up he does what's on the card. I started by saying the word as I held up the card. Not sure whether he recognizes the shape of the words or just the order I do them in but he gets it every time.

I had a deaf dobie I rescued. We taught him at least 20 signs.  He was probably the easiest dog I have ever trained because he was constantly "checking in" visually. Funny thing, we had my female dobie at the rescue doing volunteer work when we heard about him. She was very vocal and had been playing with dogs all morning, yipping and barking. When I put her in his kennel to see if they got along she postured and played like she had with other dogs for 30 minutes without making a sound!  Guess she heard us talking!

Have had deaf foster dogs (and one blind dog) and can attest to the fact dogs with a "handicap" check in much more often to make sure where/what their people want them to be/do.

Latest posts