Shower walls in Travel Trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WanderLoveJosh

Reaction score
In our trailer, the shower doesn't have a tub surround, it's just the same as all the walls through out the trailer.

Why do they do this?? Im assuming its not water proof. There's no way you wouldn't get the walls wet, unless you sat down in the tub, which who would expect people who are going to purchase a trailer to do that.

Does anyone have any experience with a shower like this? Am I just gonna have to buy the shower wall set up from Lowes or Home Depot and cut them to size??

Attachments

• IMG_0714.JPG
    IMG_0714.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 30
I don’t personally have experience with your kind of shower but a YouTuber called Rusty78609 has a 2018 coachmen clipper cadet 16 foot. He said he felt “leery” about the shower wall situation, said he called the dealer, who then called manufacturer. Rusty says he got a call back from the dealer saying that the wall the manufacturer installed was just fine to get wet. Rusty eventually decided he wasn’t comfortable with that and ordered a custom-cut shower surround and installed it. Said it was about $230 with shipping.

He has two videos posted about it, both of them about two weeks ago. One of them has a title with “bathroom surround” in the title and the other one “shower surround” if you’re interested in checking that out.

Van Mama Wannabe said:
I don’t personally have experience with your kind of shower but a YouTuber called Rusty78609 has a 2018 coachmen clipper cadet 16 foot. He said he felt “leery” about the shower wall situation, said he called the dealer, who then called manufacturer. Rusty says he got a call back from the dealer saying that the wall the manufacturer installed was just fine to get wet. Rusty eventually decided he wasn’t comfortable with that and ordered a custom-cut shower surround and installed it. Said it was about $230 with shipping.

He has two videos posted about it, both of them about two weeks ago. One of them has a title with “bathroom surround” in the title and the other one “shower surround” if you’re interested in checking that out.

Yes, i'm def going to check those videos, tha'ts exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you so much.

It is that way in our Hi-Lo, and there is a shower curtain surround, and it works better using 2 curtains for us, one toward the back and one toward the front leaving an opening for the shower head. We have the same exact material, and I have seen water damage to the walls in other trailers when looking at used. The thing is, maybe using it weekends during the summer and/or vacation, it might not add up to a problem, but constantly becomes a different story. While the surrounds are seem nice, you never know what moisture may be doing underneath it.

I had to build my shower from scratch. I used some FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) walls that home depot sells pretty cheap. I just had to cut and fit them and then caulk all the joints. So far it had been totally water proof.

Yeah, mold, fungus, and/or hepatitis is definitely not worth the risk. I saw a youtube video of about 12 people who made 36 trailers a day. It was fast and furious. Lots of extra staples and glue to cover almost any defects up.

I found a 20 gal livestock water tank at Tractor supply I think I’m gonna use for a base. It’s 24” diameter and 12” sides. I may have to cushion the base of it with some foam insulation or something so it will take standing on it. I’ll hang a shower curtain around it.
It will be at the back of the trailer so I doubt dumping a sprayers worth of water will be a big deal. Also it could double as as washing machine, lol.