Shower Tent Use at LTVA is it allowed?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripper

Reaction score
Hi All,
   Can shower tents that the shower water naturally drains onto the ground be used legally at the AZ LTVA areas?

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Alaskan shower tent.jpg[/font]

Attachments

• Alaskan shower tent.jpg
    Alaskan shower tent.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
I used one outside of the LTVA on the regular 14 day stay BLM land at Quartzsite and no one bothered me. I did lay out a blue tarp under and around it to catch the water and let it evaporate so little to none hit the ground. I guess if they did you could use a tote to stand in to catch the water and pour it into container to dump. One of the reasons I don’t stay at LTVAs to many people and enforcement officers interpret the rules differently. In areas where they don’t allow grey water on the ground we have just used a regular cheap tent with a tote to stand in to catch the water and a folded blue tarp to catch splashes which we wiped up with a microfiber towel and wrung out in the tote. Dumped the tote into a sealed container and dumped at a dump station or laid out the blue tarp on sunny days and let it evaporate.

I rarely stay at LTVAs, normally just to visit friends who are there. I have never worried about using the shower tent at National Forest land or BLM land. My gut feeling is technically it is illegal to use them at all those sites, but nobody really cares about it. I know the LTVAs are much more strict than BLM. I guess I will stick with use it until told otherwise. I am used to Burning Man where the BLM will not allow a drop of water on the Playa, then I have to make a evap pit, which works in the summer heat but might not work well in the winter Q area, and is a pain in the ass.

I used my privy tents two years in a row on the LTVA sites and the rangers never said a word about it. We are talking about a gallon or two of wash water, not the same as dumping 20-50 gallons of grey water.