Shore power use

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJRW

Reaction score
If I want to run a 1500W/120V space heater (using shore power), is a 15amp short power inlet installed in van and a 15amp cord from van to camp shore outlet adequate? And maybe using a 250W appliance briefly at the same time (on separate breakers in van)? [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Campground shore power outlets typically are 15amp/30amp/50amp. All very confusing to me.[/font]

A 14 Ga cable up to 50 feet for 15 amps or 12 ga for a longer extension cord (outdoor rated). The circuits inside your van will only be fed from 1 - 15 Amp circuit breaker (at the pedestal). This will be the breaker that trips when you overload it. If you are wanting to run the space heater and another load, turn the space heater to a lower wattage before adding the new 250 watt load.

1500 + 250 = 1750 watts.  1750 watts / 120 volts  = 14.58 amps.  If it is more than 6 to 10 feet you probably want the next size bigger cord.  AWG 16 would be the minimum, I would recommend the next size bigger, AWG 14. 

I have a 3 speed heater.  The middle speed, 700 watts, is too much to leave on in my minivan.  I would expect that even in a full size van 1500 watts might be too much heat unless you are in a really cold place.

I have two 1500 ceramic cube heaters.  One (thrifted eons ago) cycles perfectly, producing nice, even temperatures whether on high or low in the van.  The other (new) lets it get too cold, then we burn up.

Our outdoor rated cord lives in a front door pocket ("point of first use" is my mantra), and goes out a cracked window to the pedestal.  It's simple to unplug to heat water in an electric kettle.  Ours is handily velcroed to the bed frame for cold mornings.

This is our first season using a heater in the van.  The noise from expanding and contracting materials due to the inside/outside temperature differential took a little getting used to.  Kind of like water torture.  Much like acorns falling on the roof.

VanFan said:
The other (new) lets it get too cold, then we burn up.

Mine is a newer one that heats fine but the thermostat is worthless.  I wish they sold an add-on thermostat you could plug into that would work better.

They have that. I have that. Nashone on Amazon.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk