Serenity

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, if pulling the ply is easy, I wonder if it's worth it to pay the factory to insulate. Hmmm

I chose to not pay the labor.
And considering the "quality" they build to.. I am really glad to do it myself!
Also allows me to run the wiring and such behind the trim- the way I want and to the grade I want.
The assembly line construction is craptastic. Just FYI

GypsyDogs said:
I chose to not pay the labor.
And considering the "quality" they build to.. I am really glad to do it myself!
Also allows me to run the wiring and such behind the trim- the way I want and to the grade I want.
The assembly line construction is craptastic.  Just FYI

Pretty frustrating to pay good money for "craptastic".  My dad was a craftsman, so it still shocks me to buy something brand new and find glaring deficiencies.

finally came up with a good -I think- solution for exterior running light wires stupidly run by manufacturer.

Ha!
wire_splint.jpg
As you can see, the drilled a tiny hole and just ran bare wire through.  no grommet..
So.. having very little room to work with, I Splinted it with some soda can wrapped tightly around the wire..  Duct Taped in place after photo.

That should hold up for many years, and protect the wire from wear.

(psst- hey Bob, do I get an honorable mention for creative use of resources?  lol)

It is finding little gems like this that are slowing my build down. - sigh

Attachments

• wire_splint.jpg
    wire_splint.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 39
Yeah- looks like I am not making RTR this year... *sad face*
too many hours at job, not enough in the trailer..

Maybe the summer gig?
Next winter- for sure.

And, while putting in some of the insulation the other day- I found water leaking in at the roof/wall joint. Seeping from behind the upper frame.
Yeah- craptastic.
Now I have to tarp it, hope it dries out inside, behind the foam board...and wait for warmer/dryer weather to re-seal the roof seams of this New trailer.

This has become such a disappointing project. sigh

GypsyDogs said:
And, while putting in some of the insulation the other day- I found water leaking in at the roof/wall joint. Seeping from behind the upper frame.
Yeah- craptastic.  
Now I have to tarp it, hope it dries out inside, behind the foam board...and wait for warmer/dryer weather to re-seal the roof seams of this New trailer.

This has become such a disappointing project.  sigh

So sorry to hear that!  And how completely frustrating, you purchase a product in good faith, and they don't hold up their end.

looking into eternabond and alumibond tapes to seal the seams...

lol- maybe i can bill the manufacturer for supplies and labor time?

GypsyDogs said:
looking into eternabond and alumibond tapes to seal the seams...

lol- maybe i can bill the manufacturer for supplies and labor time?

I hear that, I went back and forth to the dealer four times the first month I owned my new truck, figured they should have paid for my gas at least.

Sorry to hear about the problems that you've been having with your trailer. You should be able to expect a better quality of workmanship!
I don't want to make you do more work but the marker lights concern me, even with your inventive fix. While everything is still accessible it would be better to disconnect everything, drill a larger hole and use a grommet. With the amount of bouncing a trailer is subjected to the metal of the trailer or even the soda can may cut through the wire very quickly.

I agree with T&K about the grommets, though I have used sections of plastic or rubber tubing split and slid over the wire, then forced into the hole. A dab of flexible adhesive like Goop (Walmart, auto stores) smeared around it for insurance.

If I were elbows deep in construction anyway, I'd consider replacing all the worthless connecters and replacing the clearance and tail lights with sealed LEDs along with proper grommets right now.....easier now, and cheaper than beside the road with blue lights ticketing you for lights out.....

I hear your frustration- Last winter I went to a trailer mfg in Ga with the intent of buying an enclosed, after looking one over, I drove away and bought a used one.
Figured if I had to rebuild it anyway......

oh for god's sake...
Finally got word back from the dealer- Yesterday.
They requested a picture of the lack of striker plate, so they could send me one. Back on NOVEMBER 22nd. I replied the Same day with a photo.

They want me to take the trailer back to them, so they can ship it up to the factory for warranty repairs.
which could take a who knows how long... and it is currently full of insulation and tools.

this is ridiculous.

I'm sorry to hear that. You expect by buying new that you could avoid the issues.

Oh FFS!!!

"Here, we want to sell you something, but if it has a problem you won't be able to use it... because we can't do warranty work, so, please, be sure to buy from us"

Would you mind telling us what brand it is?  If not I'll understand that too.

ArtW said:
*headdesk*

Oh so much this ^

I am unimaginably angry with Forest River and Cargomate right now..
The thought of sending Serenity back to them to potentially butcher again, is maddening. If they can't build a simple cargo trailer, correctly, the first time.. what are their "repairs" going to be like?
I am trying to figure out how much of what I have already done, I need to remove- so they don't screw it up too..(such as-shredding or losing insulation panels while taking roof apart to reseal it..) before taking it back. also gotta get the sheets of polyiso out, and the tools and such.. Put the wall panels back on for structural support.. sigh..
This whole thing is a HUGE inconvenience and the delay is really depressing... I just have no words that adequately describe how all this makes me feel. I am building this rig as a business (and some fun) camping rig.. and the mobility is Part of the business concept. so it delays that as well..... guess it frees up time to work on the website side.. sigh again.