Wiring/walls

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaLvan

Reaction score
We are making some modifications to our Chevy Express Passenger van turned campervan.  To give us more space, we are taking out the interior plastic panels in the back area of the van, Passenger side, between side barn doors and back doors.  We will put some polyiso insulation on the wall and then build a cabinet  from the floor to the bottom of the window with framework for the bed to sit on.  There are bundled wires going through that wall.  Any advice how to handle those? - I don't want to just build them into the cabinet as they may get jostled around.  I know they need to protected in some way.  They currently are bundled and clipped to the framework below the window.  

Also, Do I have to cover the polyiso or can it just be the backside of the cabinet?

Thanks.

It would be best to put the wires in a loom or chase so that you need to access them they could be slipped out easily. The spray foam will encapsulate the wires and make that difficult.

You don't have to cover the polyiso in the back of the cabinet, but depending on what you're putting in that cabinet the polyiso will get beat up and you'll have pieces of it breaking off now and then.

Link to wire loom: https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/black-wire-loom-tubing

I would not recommend spray foam. The cabinet will insulate some anyway. If you really must insulate stuff some shipping peanuts in a freezer bag and shove them in there along with some rigid insulation board pieces then cover the opening with foil or duct tape so you can access wiring.

I have removed all the plastic from my grand caravan, I have a wire harness that runs down the middle of the floor, and the wiring harness for what use to be the lights in the rear, and also for the motors of the rear door.. I am making my build so that, IF any of these wires need to be accessed, everything will come out.. Pain in the ass?? I am sure.. But I figured, it probably won't happen often

I didn't see where the OP said they were going to use spray foam and I reread it 3 times. They said polyiso which is the rigid foam board.

It's best to leave factory wire in place but you still want to have access especially to any connectors.

Highdesertranger

Once again HDS you are correct. I guess three times is the charm! With rigid foam there is really no issue as the foam could be grooved out on the back side for the wires. If he wants access to those wires with removing the entire cabinet, he could install the cabinet first with no back, and then cut piece that friction fits in place. Depending on the cabinet usage a thin sheet of 1/8" plywood over the foam could be useful.

Hahaha that's why I had to read it 3 times, because both you and bullfrog mentioned it and I thought I was going nuts

Thanks for the replies and advice.  Here is a photo of the bundled wires covered in electrical tape.  Any reason I can't just move them closer to the floor area?  I think that will make it easier to deal with them and keep them safe.  I plan to get some of that loom to add extra protection around them.

Attachments

• interior back wires.jpg
    interior back wires.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 8
I see no reason why you can't move them. there appears to be enough wire(which is odd in itself). Highdesertranger

Latest posts