Serenity

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woot!! Glad it's almost ready.

Are you aimin' to misbehave?

Looks good, my first week long trip in my cargo trailer we slept on cots. Definitely go to RTR, no matter what stage your build is in.

Got her home yesterday!  Woooo
They opted to install a 3rd rack in the middle (at no cost to me) to solve the problem.
Even gave me a little bit of a discount for my time/trouble.  

Took a bunch of measurements yesterday, and did a thorough get-to-know.  Turns out the roof vent is a Reversible Fan-fan.  woohoo!
And the ceiling beams are 1.5" not 1"  - so I can get more insulation up there, where it really matters, without sacrificing standing height.  also woohoo!

And with where the door was placed, I have more room in the nose than I had originally planned for.  So I am redesigning the kitchen area.

Guess you all should prepare for another build...  grab some coffee/beer and a folding chair...  and get ready to point and laugh.   :cool:  :D

and of course- the obligatory pic with the kids..
kidsapprove.jpg

Attachments

• kidsapprove.jpg
    kidsapprove.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 28
got my insulation board.. Haven't had time to work on it.. with stupid job and life obligations.

Did order a 'real' wire crimper with changeable dies for different wire size and applications. Love that it is locking/ratchetting! that will save my hands - whew

Also picked up a few other odds and ends.. 12v power plugs, outlets, a deadbolt lock for the man-door, stuff like that.

Should be able to start on it some this weekend. - Looking forward to getting going on this.

Having that extra rack up there may come in real handy down the road. I hope we both get our building done in time for the RTR.

Got some work done on the interior.  Not as much as I would have liked.
Here is a Before pic of the nose.. (with help, of course..)
SNoseB4.JPG

Really wanted to put the roof vent cover on..  rain..  
Which leads me to the story..  

This is the face I made (hubby captured the moment)
TheFace.JPG

When I saw
CaulkedUp.JPG

Now, I am not expert, but I am pretty sure that is not how you weather-caulk a roof vent...

On a brighter side- scored free lino for the floor.  Looks like weathered reclaimed lumber- I love it!
SFloor.JPG

Attachments

• TheFace.JPG
    TheFace.JPG
    575.4 KB · Views: 87
  • CaulkedUp.JPG
    CaulkedUp.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 102
  • SNoseB4.JPG
    SNoseB4.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • SFloor.JPG
    SFloor.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
GypsyDogs said:
Got some work done on the interior.  Not as much as I would have liked.
Here is a Before pic of the nose.. (with help, of course..)

Really wanted to put the roof vent cover on..  rain..  
Which leads me to the story..  

This is the face I made (hubby captured the moment)

When I saw

Now, I am not expert, but I am pretty sure that is not how you weather-caulk a roof vent...

On a brighter side- scored free lino for the floor.  Looks like weathered reclaimed lumber- I love it!

It looks like the owners 4 year old kid was practing for playing with clay.  That is one to complain about.  Roof repair goop installed from a bucket is not the proper sealant for a roof vent.  The right stuff would have been installed from a tube.

Urine Soaked Demons, eh? I prefer to call these folks Fei fei de pi yan.

Looks good, you must get to the rtr. I have a new old camper, I'm pretty sure it will be Western firefly themed. I may start the paint job at the rtr.

sigh
Going to take out what little wiring I did do, and redo it a better way. Learning curve and all.

Dealer offered to swap out vents.. Wow- more delays? No, thanks. I will just avoid making any recommendations for the manufacturer.

I really want to start making progress on this build.. Not sure if I can make RTR this year, but I am still trying...

Wow...looks great. One small word of advice from experience. I noticed you have a single axle so keep a running count of the weight your adding. You can exceed the trailer's (and tow vehicle's) capacity before you know if. Can't wait to see how your build prrogresses. Good luck!

Wiring redone.. and I am going to put in a couple more lines.

Also I now have a ninja-sharp putty knife. LOL
For cutting polyiso. Is it normal to measure, cut, and then have to hammer it in? lol

Progress pics later today..

Use a piece of wood between the hammer and poliso.   it makes it easier.

nah- I would much rather bash/dent/break my insulation.. lol

I used a piece of wood or my putty knife (large blade) depending on the situation.

Once I learned to cut on an angle, I just whacked it with a board, and used metal tape to hold it together.

How's it coming?? We're re-watching Firefly and your build popped into my head, so I thought I'd check in.

Ceiling is done
Short video of Just How Snug.. lol

discovered they had Zero wiring protection where little tiny running-light wires went across rough cut metal.. sigh.
such craftsmanship.. lolol

My solution-
wireShroud.jpg
Almost looks like I know what I'm doing..   :cool:  :D

And, for the record.. I did Not put those wire-gators in. That is factory. And I am contemplating re-doing it with proper twist/knot/solder splices... More time, but better lifespan.

Walls (aside from having to un-ply them first..) should go a little faster.. because I don't think there is any wiring to manage.

Attachments

• wireShroud.jpg
    wireShroud.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 38