Sequoia National Forest, Y'all!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttpadilla

Reaction score
Just got a call from CLM regarding a couple of sites available in Sequoia National Forest!! I picked the smaller one, at a higher elevation, and it comes with W/S/E and a phone! The pay only starts at $9/hr, but its 35-40hrs a week, two days off, and if I come back next year, I get a raise. Super excited!

Congratulations!!

I bet you're going to be super happy working in a national forest.

One of the other bonus' is that you can work your way into other locations and maybe even almost full-time it by moving around a bit.

Almost There said:
Congratulations!!

I bet you're going to be super happy working in a national forest.

One of the other bonus' is that you can work your way into other locations and maybe even almost full-time it by moving around a bit.

I'd only want to full time it IF I could move around a bit. I can't think of a better life. Getting paid to see the National Forests?! Who, seriously, could ask for anything more?

Are you actually going to be located in the forest land or the National park land>

I almost don't want to say but I have spent more time in the boundaries of Sequoia national park and forest than any where else. Typically 2 to 3 times a month for almost 10 years. Got on a first name basis with most of the Rangers. Worked there for a short time, but that's a whole other story.

Granted I have not visited many other National parks or forest, but there is a very unique quality about Sequoia from the lower elevations of Potwisha to the upper elevations in Big Meadows and everything in between. If you haven't already you should be up there during the times that Crystal Cave is open, it's a very narrow window of time IMHO. Go see it! Beautiful.
I'm planning a trip there again to do a shakedown on the van in the near future.

Please keep us posted on your location. Might drop by and say hello.

Mike R

MikeRuth said:
Are you actually going to be located in the forest land or the National park land>

I almost don't want to say but I have spent more time in the boundaries of Sequoia national park and forest than any where else. Typically 2 to 3 times a month for almost 10 years. Got on a first name basis with most of the Rangers. Worked there for a short time, but that's a whole other story.

Granted I have not visited many other National parks or forest, but there is a very unique quality about Sequoia from the lower elevations of Potwisha to the upper elevations in Big Meadows and everything in between. If you haven't already you should be up there during the times that Crystal Cave is open, it's a very narrow window of time IMHO. Go see it! Beautiful.
I'm planning a trip there again to do a shakedown on the van in the near future.

Please keep us posted on your location. Might drop by and say hello.

Mike R

Thank you for the recommendation! I'll make sure to get there, and I hope you drop by. It straddles Tule River, just a few miles from Springfield, is all I know. I haven't had a chance yet to really map it, and I haven't ever been to Sequoia before, so everything will be new. I will be up at 4000' elevation.

Congratulations!  I am so happy for you and am looking forward to hear how it's going.  :)

Congrats! :D You will be working in one of the places that I've been wanting to go back to for uhm, lotsa years. I wanted to get my daughter out there before she was an adult, but didn't make it. Still on my most doable bucket list. :)

I worked for CLM for 3 years in the Sierra NF and they are a great outfit. How many sites does your campground have? Do you have other campgrounds, or just one.

4000 feet is low so it will be hot. Mid 90s most of the summer. But being in the trees you'll have shad and having electric you can run a fan or an AC if you have one. Low usually (Not always) means close to cities and more attendence and busier.

Next year go higher, at least 6000 feet or higher, 7000 is good.
Bob

akrvbob said:
I worked for CLM for 3 years in the Sierra NF and they are a great outfit. How many sites does your campground have? Do you have other campgrounds, or just one.

4000 feet is low so it will be hot. Mid 90s most of the summer. But being in the trees you'll have shad and having electric you can run a fan or an AC if you have one. Low usually (Not always) means close to cities and more attendence and busier.

Next year go higher, at least 6000 feet or higher, 7000 is good.
Bob

Thank you, Bob!

I'm definitely going higher next year, but this year, I was offered two choices in the Sequoia, and the campground I chose was higher than the other one I was offered (Lake Isabella) which she said was 95-100 F every single day. Next year, I'll definitely be signing up earlier, and will hopefully have choices. The campground (I only have one) has 27 sites, which I feel more comfortable with than the one in Stanislaus with 68 (25 of which allowed multiple RVs). I think this will be a good place to cut my teeth on.

Any additional advice is most welcome!

You chose wisely! Lake Isabella is so close to LA and Bakersfield it gets extremely busy and even gang-bangers go up there to get rowdy.

You'll have a great summer!
Bob

Congratulations - That is excellent!!   I'm excited for you! 

The Sierra Nevada mtns are my most favorite!!  Even more so than the Oregon mtns (Bend, Sunriver, some areas even try (try) to compete with Crater Lake)    

I like to go up in elevation in the summer, & simply head 50 - 90 miles west (dropping in elevation) in the winter to stay warm. 

I've never been up that particular part, but not far, as the crow flies, is the trail of a 100 giants (100 Sequoia Redwoods) and it is amazing.  Very nice.  Rustic camping not far away.  Beautiful creeks.  Natural water slides.  Aspen trees, if you can get high enough.   

And at least one amazing nature hot spring right on the banks of the Kern river.  (no, not the x river, the Kern river -- HighDesertRanger pun)  bigcheesygrin   :D   

Maybe you could start a thread on this adventure of yours?   Pics?  Impressions?  Likes?  Dislikes?  Internet Reception? General Opinions?      I'd be PLEASED to follow along!!  

wow that sounds like a great adventure! I look forward to hearing about it! Good news!! Happy today!

flailer said:
Congratulations - That is excellent!!   I'm excited for you! 

The Sierra Nevada mtns are my most favorite!!  Even more so than the Oregon mtns (Bend, Sunriver, some areas even try (try) to compete with Crater Lake)    

I like to go up in elevation in the summer, & simply head 50 - 90 miles west (dropping in elevation) in the winter to stay warm. 

I've never been up that particular part, but not far, as the crow flies, is the trail of a 100 giants (100 Sequoia Redwoods) and it is amazing.  Very nice.  Rustic camping not far away.  Beautiful creeks.  Natural water slides.  Aspen trees, if you can get high enough.   

And at least one amazing nature hot spring right on the banks of the Kern river.  (no, not the x river, the Kern river -- HighDesertRanger pun)  bigcheesygrin   :D   

Maybe you could start a thread on this adventure of yours?   Pics?  Impressions?  Likes?  Dislikes?  Internet Reception? General Opinions?      I'd be PLEASED to follow along!!  

I can't wait to get there, and I'll definitely hit up the places you mentioned, on my days off. The 3 Sisters, Mt. Bachelor, Broken Top, Jefferson, and Hood sure are pretty from a distance (they are my sunset view from where I currently live), so if where I'm going is even better, I sure look forward to the experience. I'm planning to document this adventure in my blog, and I'd be pleased to have you follow it once I get started. There are only a few background posts in there now.

Nana4Twins said:
I can't wait to get there, and I'll definitely hit up the places you mentioned, on my days off.  The 3 Sisters, Mt. Bachelor, Broken Top, Jefferson, and Hood sure are pretty from a distance (they are my sunset view from where I currently live), so if where I'm going is even better, I sure look forward to the experience.  I'm planning to document this adventure in my blog, and I'd be pleased to have you follow it once I get started.  There are only a few background posts in there now.

So i did remember correctly: you are in central Oregon!!  Ha!  So, I havent lost all my marbles!!   

I'm DARN sure you have much bigger views where you are now, as you are up on a high semi arid or even slight desert-kinda area.   

If high enough, where you're going will have so many trees --- you won't even be able to see the forest. :D   

If it is BIG view you want, You'll be hunting around for view points.    But that is half the fun (for me)  

I'm hoping you have time to swing by Lake Tahoe, Yosemite on your way down.