Selling plasma.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
I posted about this in a different thread, but I figure there should be a whole thread for this as I think quite a few people do this.

Anyway, back in the early 70s my dad would donate plasma twice a week and make 50-60 bucks. He darn near paid his way through college doing this only working as a bartender on Friday and Saturday (this was when Michigan's drinking age was 18). Now 40 years later it seems like You only get paid 60-70 bucks a week. After inflation the rates have gone down.

Is it feasible to do this and save up all that money into maybe an emergency fund?

Has anyone out there done this and made some decent money at it?

Could you really do this twice a week, every week?

I'll talk to my dad about this when I get the chance

Thanks guys!

I've sold my blood. But, given any kind of choice, I would not do it. My body needs all my blood. There is a danger selling blood, it's like running an engine when it's low on oil. Why would medical professionals encourage you to do it if it's not in your best interest (health-wise) to do so? They figure the benefit of the person receiving your blood offsets the detriment to you giving it. They are NOT looking out for your best interest, they're actually looking out for THEIR best interest, but they would say they're looking out for the health interests of people on general.

LeeRevell said:
That's a really good article, anyone considering "plassing" should read it.

I did a quick google search.

According to the Mayo clinic:
Risks:
If you're a healthy adult, you can usually donate a pint of blood without endangering your health. Within 24 hours of a blood donation, your body replaces the lost fluids. And after several weeks, your body replaces the lost red blood cells.

That's right, "several weeks" to replace the lost red blood cells.

According to WP Blood Transfusion Service:
Anaemia or iron deficiency is the most common of all blood disorders and results in a decrease in haemoglobin (Hb) levels. Hb is the protein in your red cells that transports oxygen to your body's tissues... Regular blood donors should ensure that they follow an iron rich diet, although red cells are usually replaced by the bone marrow into the circulatory system within 56 days between donations. Foods rich in iron include fruits, fish, biltong, dark green leafy vegetables, nuts and red meat.

Under "donor health benefits" we have this lovely tidbit (wikipedia): In patients prone to iron overload, blood donation prevents the accumulation of toxic quantities

Sounds like an argument for "blood letting".

Why is "blood letting" considered bad for a person, but "blood donation" is good for the person? I suspect it's because "blood donation" is NOT good for the donor, it's good for the doctors, the medical establishment, and the person receiving the blood.

Now, I don't care if you donate or sell blood. I'm just explaining why I choose not to. You can sell or give away one of your kidneys if you want, I'm not going to stop you. I won't do that either (unless it's for a person I really care about).

Just did a quick search for plasma donations in my area (near Charlotte, NC) and new donors can make between $200-$300 a month, depending on a persons size. Here you need a valid ID, proof of residency, and a SS#. They also offer a rewards program where you accumulate points every time you donate. I've never donated plasma (although I would consider it) but I would imagine it's similar to going to any other healthcare provider...some have better reputations than others. Find a reputable one and there shouldn't be any problems. :)

I was interested in it locally, as the first five 'donations' paid $50 each. But...... after that the recompensation drops to $60 a week, if you donate twice that week. So my visions of an easy $400 a month got cut in half, and for getting stuck eight times a month! I'll find another way to make money to boost my pension.......

I don't know what your plans are, but if you travel and full-time you could make donating plasma as part of your decision process of where you spend most of your time.

After all, that's why we want a house on wheels, so we can go to the places most advantageous to us! :)
Bob

Only problem with that is most places I have looked at have a certain miles radius you must actually 'live' in full time. They don't want transients, as that indicates 'homelessness'. Maybe if you were 'living' at a campground for a season it would qualify, if you had documentation you were there for a good lengthy time? That may work if one were working as camp host.

Having had a couple bone replacements, they will not take my blood.

My daughters donate often without any health problems from it.

Some folks seem to have trouble with weakness, fatigue and passing out after donating, but I'd expect they are a minority. Wonder if it may have more to do with a person's size and weight? Being a Big Dog myself, I'd likely have no problem with the relatively small amount they take. My possible problem is being on a blood thinner - Xarelto. That may disqualify me?
Also wonder if being Type II Diabetic may disqualify me too?

Your blood type has some bearing on whether it's ideal to give blood vs giving plasma. 0- blood is always in need because everyone can use it. A- can be used by A-, A+, AB-, or AB+. I have AB+ which means I can take anyone's blood but can only give to another AB+. Hospitals do stock AB+ but they don't need as much so my blood simply isn't in high demand. Plasma works opposite - anyone needing an infusion can take mine, plus it gets used for creating medications. So, for me, plasma donation would probably be best. If you have a - or fewer letters in your type, you may want to give blood instead or go back and forth.

When I was in Vegas they weren't paying for blood donations but they did have some sort of rewards program where you could get free buffet passes and such.

I've fainted when giving a small vial of blood for tests after fasting but never while giving a pint after a meal.

Here's another good thing everyone should do, assuming they meet the age/weight/health criteria:
http://bethematch.org/
You probably would never be called to do a transplant and if you are they likely only need to give blood stem cells. That process is pretty much the same as giving plasma.

It's much easier to sign up now. They mailed cheek swabs to me, I followed the instructions on using them and mailed them back. No cost to me, just many requests for donations. Send money if you can or just the swabs if you can't.

Lee, I don't know if your medication would disqualify you or not, but I can tell you that I have been diagnosed with type II diabetes and they have no problems with my donating plasma.

LughTheBard said:
Lee, I don't know if your medication would disqualify you or not, but I can tell you that I have been diagnosed with type II diabetes and they have no problems with my donating plasma.

Thanks! I'll look into it, as a few bucks extra here and there could come in handy.

O.K. thanks guys. I've been away for awhile and didn't realize how many replies this thread got.

I think I'll try donating plasma once or twice and see how it goes. I don't know if I'll keep doing it after that but I definitely won't if I start to feel fatigue.

Thanks again.

Where I live you can make about 220 a month donating plasma. That's 2 times a week.

Not a bad way to make some extra cash if you're in a bind but it can definitely wear you out if you do it all the time.

From my personal experiences however... just drink a lot of water and eat a good meal the night before and it will be around 30-40 minutes for 20-30$ for little to no work asides from being stabbed by a needle and pumping your arm.

Well that is interesting... 375 a month would pay my car payment and insurance lol.