self isolation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyflorida

Reaction score
I have decided to self isolate I am on public land and i think this is probably the best solution for me as to not get the virus i am on a lake so i been spending my time fishing watching movies and the internet. hopefully are are staying as safe as possible

Actually Jimmy you are not doing self Isolation or self quarantine, you are doing what is being referred to as "social distancing" . Please read the following article from the Florida State University news to help you understand why you should not be calling what you are doing self isloation as that means a state of reaction necessary ro so for a far more serious situation than what you are now engaged in doing.

I have quoted the article below for the sake of those who do not have a lot of bandwidth for downloading articles.

"Quarantining in general means the separation of a person or group of people reasonably believed to have been exposed to a communicable disease but are not yet symptomatic from others who have not been exposed to prevent the possible spread of the disease. Self-isolation means the separation of a person or group known or reasonably believed to be infected with a communicable disease and potentially infectious from those who are not infected to prevent spread of the disease."
https://news.fsu.edu/announcements/2020/03/12/difference-between-self-quarantine-and-self-isolation/

Jimmy, I don't know the scientific terminology, but I am also tempted to get the F out of Dodge and away from anyone that
coughs till this thing is more defined and under control. The Virus is not really reported much in my area yet (but the thing is stealth). All hell is starting to break out up North in Chicago and it will get a lot worse quickly. Shawnee National Forest is about the only thing still open in Illinois, and I am not really set up for off grid camping--checking now on electrical sites. Also looking at Land Between the Lakes in Ky. which is still open as far as I know.

Good luck.

I'm out in the desert on BLM land far away from most people. There are only 3 campers here including myself right now and we're spaced about 1/2 mile on my left side and the other is about a mile away on my right. I think it's so empty here because a lot of people left the area to go back to their homes. 

Without being glib, I'm just continuing to do what I've been doing and I don't do the things or go to the places where a lot of people congregate anyway.

That said, the weak link in the chain is Walmart. There are no other grocery stores where I am and the closest Walmart is 60 miles away. I easily have two weeks of food with me but only carry 15 gallons of water. I've been going easy on it but I'm going to run out of water in a few days so I have to restock. I can go 40 miles in one direction and get water, but there's no large grocery store there. It looks like going to Walmart in the other direction makes more sense since I can also buy food. If I could wear a bubble in there I would. They're so busy at that store they aren't accepting new pickup slots, so into the store I will go. If I could avoid it I would. 

I'm not alone in that predicament. Most people, even the ones that are doing this right, have to eat. In some areas I'm sure people can order online and pick it up without going into the store but I'm not in one of those areas.

On the flip side of the coin, I'm out here in nature with my own power plant, refrigeration, unlimited internet and my devices which keep me informed and entertained. I have heat and a comfortable bed to sleep on. I'm lacking nothing and I'm grateful for that.

Even if this virus is contained and we all come out of this OK, the worse anyone can say about me is "hey, that a hole was cautious"

Edited to add: I just reread my post and am laughing at the line "most people have to eat"

Motorvation, Sounds like you are probably located well away from substantial risk in the desert and all. I would personally want to do anything possible to double that 15 gallon water capacity to decrease the trips to town. Wal-mart has the 2.5 gallon plastic jugs with carry handle and spigot for like $7.00 --great product! Or a cooler could hold water temporarily. Or the inflatable water thingees in camping section. The less you have to go to the store, the less you have to think about it. In Wal-Mart I try to just get what I want ASAP, sanitize cart handle and hands, stay away from anything that breathes, do self check out, sanitize again, and then get the F out of Dodge ASAP.
Good luck

Hey MV, there aren't any "a holes" right now, we're all in this thing together.

I got back home a week ago after 2 1/2 months in AZ, and right when the panic buying started. The stores were mobbed and lots of shelves were empty. I've not gone out for 7 days, but finally needed to dump garbage and check the mailbox. In another week or so, I'll have to go to the grocery store again. The mobs will certainly be there again.

Online shopping and pickup are getting saturated here. Self checkout is a good idea, but they only let you have a limited number of items for that here. 

I think I would try smaller food stores, rather than Walmart or Safeway. Eg, in Parker there is a Food Source in the old downtown. And they were still selling purified water at 25 cents a gallon when I was there.

We all have the same problems, whether we're in the desert or not.

I think if you feel like you are isolating yourself, you are, regardless the strict medical definition.

What the OP is describing is what’s more commonly referred to as “reverse isolation”, which is protecting oneself from being infected with whatever.

One suggestion I have for water is the collapsible, refillable jugs sold online that are distributed by the Red Cross, I think.

I have one of these, which I believe holds maybe 3 gallons, and when not in use it does squish down somewhat for storage.

There are probably others that flatten better, which you can find online, also very manageable 2 1/2 gallon solar showers which I fill when heading into an area with no water, then use when I feel I absolutely have to.

When you have to make your trips out, be especially diligent with hand washing after you leave the store and after you have put away your purchases.

Immunologist Dr. Anthony Fauci says that if you feel like you’re doing too much, that is about right, and I think that’s a good approach during this time.

Stay safe, all.

Day 8 of quarantine: I haven’t talked to another human being in seven months

Seattle where I am is now no longer the worst place in the country to be but the truth is I wish it still was the only hot spot for Covid 19 rather than seeing so many other areas having so many people becoming infected.

It may depend on which end of self isolation you are on. If someone tells me they are self isolating, I immediately think they have been exposed and would avoid them like the plague (no pun intended).

My son had someone come to pick up their car that proclaimed they had been in self isolation and were driving a rental car. When they showed up, everyone was in protective mode with gloves and masks and cleaned any surface they touched while keeping their distance. He did not have the courtesy of telling the rental place he had been in self isolation. My son called the rental place to notify them while he was still there and asked he why. Duh! If he had said he had been practicing social distancing, things would have been different.

You may think the masks and gloves were prudent and should be used all the time. You got extra supplies to send?

As far as PPE goes it's turned out that I'm in good shape for now at least. For quite a while now I've been putzing around the van doing some bodywork, re-arranging,painting and building a few things. So I already had a couple boxes of latex/nitrile gloves and dust masks. Since I was on the road a lot last year, I've had two 34 oz. jugs of Purell, a box of Clorox wipes and a jug of bleach stashed away.

MotorVation said:
That said, the weak link in the chain is Walmart....
You could try their pickup option, so there is no contact. I am getting everything shipped to me.  -crofter

A quarantine can have a different time frame than time elapsed since speaking to another human.

you are "talking" to humans now by letting your fingers do the talking. That counts as talking to others.

maki2 said:
Actually Jimmy you are not doing self Isolation or self quarantine, you are doing what is being referred to as "social distancing" .  Please read the following article from the Florida State University news to help you understand why you should not be calling what you are doing self isloation as that means a state of reaction necessary ro so for a far more serious situation than what you are now engaged in doing. 

I have quoted the article below for the sake of those who do not have a lot of bandwidth for downloading articles.

"Quarantining in general means the separation of a person or group of people reasonably believed to have been exposed to a communicable disease but are not yet symptomatic from others who have not been exposed to prevent the possible spread of the disease. Self-isolation means the separation of a person or group known or reasonably believed to be infected with a communicable disease and potentially infectious from those who are not infected to prevent spread of the disease."
https://news.fsu.edu/announcements/2020/03/12/difference-between-self-quarantine-and-self-isolation/

Well I'm no expert by any means but what they call social distancing on the news is be around people but staying 6+ feet away from people I'm not around people so call it what you may but the simple fact is I'm camped by myself and dont come in contact with other people

I typed out a halfway long response last night then hit the back key on my mouse and away it went. Anyway, the Walmart's in Parker and Lake Havasu AZ aren't doing store pickup. I checked late last night. There were no pickup time slots available. Not for now, not for a week from now

Jimmyflorida said:
Well I'm no expert by any means but what they call social distancing on the news is be around people but staying 6+ feet away from people I'm not around people so call it what you may but the simple fact is I'm camped by myself and dont come in contact with other people
Jimmy, you're doing the right thing, whether or not you're following somebody's idea of a "definition". Hang in there.

I spent 2 1/2 months in AZ, 98% of the time camping 100 yards away from everyone else (by choice not due to circumstances). I returned home just over a week ago to a "city", traveling over 2-lane roads through the middle of nowheres for 10 days. Now, unfortunately if I want supplies, the primary option is to venture out, but am hoping the stores really start to ramp up pickup and home delivery. It's a simple management decision that will help out everyone, customers and employees alike. I don't know where you are, but would try to shop in the smaller towns, and smaller independent food stores.