self isolation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MotorVation said:
I typed out a halfway long response last night then hit the back key on my mouse and away it went. Anyway, the Walmart's in Parker and Lake Havasu AZ aren't doing store pickup. I checked late last night. There were no pickup time slots available. Not for now, not for a week from now

MV, hopefully, all stores will start more pickup and home delivery. It's the obvious thing to do. Maybe try the Food City store in the old downtown area of Parker, behind Wells Fargo. There should be many fewer people than Walmart and Safeway, as most visitors don't know it's even there. They had water machines outside, 25-cents a gallon.

For reference, this page shows other towns in AZ with Food City stores. Also, a suggestion: get packets of flour tortillas in lieu of bread. They last much longer when unopened, and are great for making your own burritos. I got addicted to them on recent my trip to AZ, since having only a cooler.

http://www.myfoodcity.com/index.php?City=Parker

I ended up going in to Parker and resupplied with water, gas, propane, tobacco and some food from Walmart. Wally World is pretty wiped out but I was able to get pretty much what I needed. They had no paper towels, napkins or toilet paper but I did get one box of tissues with 100 sheets. Better than nothing. I'm trying to position myself for heading further north as the weather heats up. I'm in California and the governor is estimating a possible 8 more weeks of non -essential businesses staying closed. I'm staying well within a gas tank of the CA/AZ/NV borders to keep options open 

i

No worries here.The wife and I have been social distancing from each other for years.

Their is now a map for the city of Seattle showing the statistics from testing for Covid 19 by zip code. Just remember when reading this that so far not all that many people have been tested as of yet.

For the Zip Code I am staying in and the two adjacent ones where I do the majority of my essential shopping errands, as of a couple of days ago there were 102 confirmed cases of Covid 19 and 7 deaths resulting from it. Geographically these are very small zip codes areas and there are many single family homes in them with some apartments and condos along the main roads thru the neighborhood where the bus lines run. This is not even the whole of the neighborhood known as Ballard, just a portion of it.

So obviously I do take stay-at-home precautions very seriously. The numbers of confirmed cases of people who have had Covid 19 will of course jump much higher when/if they start testing the majority of people. With it still being cold and flu season who knows how many of the mild cases in Feb and March that people thought were a common cold were not that.

The first known published report of this virus was by China in December.  With all the global traveling, I suspect this virus has been here for longer than we know.  I wonder how many of the deaths attributed to the common flu were actually Covid-19?  There are reports coming out now of doctors saying they noticed an unusually high number of respiratory illnesses in December, here in the US.  Who knows for certain?

Meanwhile, I have  learned that canned carrots aren't so bad, in fact, they were pretty good, surprize surprize!

It has been reported a number of times in the last week or so by the Washington Post, New York Times, etc, that our top government officials were receiving security briefings in January and February about this virus, it’s clear threat, and the very real concerns of a deadly global pandemic.

The briefings were made classified, so that information could not be shared, and the scientists were unable to get the attention of he could address this early on.

WanderingRose said:
... were receiving security briefings in January and February about this virus,
... The briefings were made classified, ...

Unless the dates on these stories have been insidiously falsified, everybody already knew by mid-January, they were just in denial and ignoring it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Scale+of+China’s+Wuhan+Shutdown+Is+Believed+to+Be+Without+Precedent
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/22/world/asia/coronavirus-quarantines-history.html
https://www.businessinsider.com/pho...oronavirus-outbreak-road-rail-air-shut-2020-1

I also dug up this VOA broadcast from Jan 22.

https://archive.org/details/VOA_Global_English_20200123_030000?start=50

FWIW, I started camping at La Posa in mid-January, but was not listening to any news. However, a guy camping in a tent nearby listened to the radio all the time, knew all about the epidemic, was rather worried about the reports coming out of China, and told me about it. A guy in a tent in Quartzsite listening to the radio.

Yep, we did know it was out there.

What we average Americans didn’t understand was the scope and level of threat this virus presented to us here in our country.

Briefings made classified meant many were excluded who would ordinarily attend didn’t have that level of security clearance, and that information shared within could not be released to the public.

I doing my best to isolate from crowds. National forest does the trick after I social distance myself at grocery store and a handkerchief to cover my nose and mouth. So far so good. No symptoms.

Vonbrown said:
 . . . and a handkerchief to cover my nose and mouth . . .

With that cowboy hat, you'll look like a bandit.  I wear a black hat and have a red bandana, have cowboy boots with spurs, all I need is chaps and a couple of 6 shooters  :cool:

VB, are you still in Arizona? Are other people doing likewise to you? I should think that even a paint mask from Home Depot might be a tad better than a handkerchief. However, various reports from medical people on NPR are saying anything is better nothing.

When yer wearin' the bandanna, just make sure you leave your gun in the van, :).
(aww shucks, spiff beat me to it by 15 seconds).

State of Montana is under Stay-at-Home regulations.

But this is something any planning to travel to Montana at this time needs to know:

If you go into the State of Montana from any area of the USA and are not there for work you are now required to immediately begin a 14 day self quarantine. All the vacation rental places have been notified that they are required to give you that information. You must stay 6 feet away from everyone.

https://www.visitmt.com/travel-alerts.html

State of Wyoming the Governor of the state has issued the following directive:
any person visiting Wyoming for non-work purposes is to self-quarantine for 14 days or until the end of his stay.

The directive is designed to discourage people from visiting Wyoming until the COVID-19 outbreak is over.

North Dakota:

All individuals traveling back to North Dakota from international locations and states in the U.S. that have been classified as having widespread disease by the CDC (list below) must quarantine immediately upon reentry to the state of North Dakota and for a period of 14 days.

States identified by CDC or ND Department of Health with widespread community infection:

Arizona
Arkansas (added April 3)
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Florida
Georgia
Idaho (added April 3)
Illinois
Indiana (added March 30)
Iowa
Louisiana
Maine (added April 3)
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
New Hampshire (added April 3)
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Tennessee (added March 31)
Texas
Utah
Virginia (added March 31)
Washington
Wisconsin (added April 3)

South Dakota is still open to traveling but many businesses have closed.

Check for current updates before traveling there.

Nebraska:

out-of-state travelers (excluding commuters who are driving across state lines for work) returning from any other international or domestic locations, should limit public interactions, practice strict social distancing, self-monitor for symptoms, and self-quarantine for 14 days if feasible.
Discontinuation from self-quarantine and self-monitoring may cease if after 14 days there has been no development of respiratory illness symptoms, which may include: fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, runny nose.