Paranoia

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conundrum

Reaction score
When I am sleeping where humans who stay up late at night can easily notice the van, like on an isolated city parking lot or on a road pull-off on the outskirt of town, I feel vulnerable to human mischief and its worse consequences.

I would feel better if I had flood lights connected to motion detectors in every direction, that turn a generous perimeter around the van into a movie set.

Alternatively, I would feel better if I owned the night and could covertly see every movement in infrared all around me and decide what to do next.

I always try to park facing an unobstructed exit. I keep the electronic key by the starter button so that I can turn the engine on and hopefully take off.

Oftentimes, noises, voices, the sound of engines approaching and then being turned off nearby, keep me in a state of alert.

I am seeking equipment recommendation and technology advice.

How long have you been travelling and parking in those kind of places?

If it's been quite a while, how many times have you experienced trouble?

Do you stay in one area most of the time or are you moving around a lot?

How long have you been travelling and parking in those kind of places?

If it's been quite a while, how many times have you experienced trouble?

Do you stay in one area most of the time or are you moving around a lot?

Since 2015 but only for trips. I don't travel full time.

Not experienced trouble.

A typical round trip to Alaska for example is 12 to 13,000 miles. I have done it five times. So I spend quite a few nights in transit. Once there, I'll usually stay about a week in an area before moving to another.

Even RV parks are often isolated and I am the only one there.

Alaska has the highest crime rate in the country and twice the national average.

1658580445522.jpeg
This is in the Yukon on my way up. I was the only one as usual.

1658580497983.jpeg
This is in Alaska. Also the only camper.

So you have a battery setup and or solar?

Yes, there are some batteries and also solar panels on the roof. I don't know much about them other than turning on and off the light switch, as I am not technically inclined. I also carry a Honda EU2200 which I never seem to use. It can start and run the AC in spite of producing only 2200 Watts.

Wow, beautiful... I’d probably ignore it out there. Most people you describe are just rude at best. Bear spray works on humans too... so you might want to have a can of that in the rare case.

So, Alaska has a high crime rate, twice the national average. Do you really think that the criminals congregate and party on the isolated picnic tables in your picture? Why do you think people would go to nowhere and wait until you show up to do bad things to you? And, after five trips, without trouble, you still have this problem. I doubt any flood lights, warnings, escape plans or remote start buttons will every do anything more than trouble your mind.

There are a number of security camera setups you can use depending on how stealth you'd like it to be. I don't know what your rig looks like so it's hard to say what would work best. A lot have infrared so they would be effective at night.

You can also set up small flood lights that you can operate from inside as needed. Even 2 way audio is fairly simple and there are some good kits.

All of this isn't very expensive (relatively), and wouldn't take a lot of energy to run.

Being able to see what's around you at a glance, light up the area if needed, and having the ability to communicate to people outside without opening a door/window and without having to yell, which could escalate a situation inadvertantly.

The more info you give regarding your rig, finances you want to allocate to this project, and how much stealth regarding these items, the better we can help you

I dunno, I'd be kinda scared too.
But fear is not necessarily a deal breaker. As you have clearly found out (and I know you're just asking for equipment/technical advice). And you're clearly committed in spite of the scary aspects. (Come on, WrongWay2, a little optimism:LOL:!)
Maybe take some time to get to know the equipment you already have? And ditto for anything new you buy. So that you're confident you can use it fast and well.
If you're like me you're almost as scared of new tech as of Creepy Forest Guys. But new tech gives you lots more do-overs, and once you master it you'll feel great.
PS Awesome trips and awesome pictures!

You're looking for an external solution to an internal problem. The problem isn't your environment - you've been fine for years - the problem is your mind and anxiety. Your imagination and your lack of faith in your ability to protect yourself are scaring you, not your environment.

I was the same way in my house. I got a security system to rival Fort Knox and I was still pathologically scared for years. A book on cognitive behavioral therapy helped me learn to control my thoughts and the Gift of Fear helped me utilize my fear the way it's suppose to be utilized.

Every now and again the fear still rears its ugly head but I remind myself how many years of rest I wasted lying awake, being afraid, and absolutely nothing happened. Then I remind myself I'm a bad__s who has proven numerous times that I can take care of myself. No use in staying awake and being tired if crap does go down. I need to sleep now so I can be as rested as possible to handle whatever the night brings. And then I go to sleep. That mindset has helped me so much with all my anxiety. "Rest now so I can deal with real life crap later."

Glad to see some others here sharing good info instead of only criticizing. Sounds like you have traveled a lot and I would imagine you have gained some good insight as to where is safe and where you may need to move on. I really don't believe having a motion light is going to help much if something goes wrong in the middle of nowhere. With that said, still nice to have. I also like a super bright LED exterior light that I control from inside. I would suggest the following:

• Observing the surrounding area in daylight, prior to stopping for the night
  • Setup your site and vehicle so (like you said) that you can make a quick exit if necessary
  • Protection. Only you can decide what you are comfortable with and using. At minimum pepper spray.
  • A ridiculously loud alarm that is controlled with an on/off switch. While it won't discourage everyone it may......
  • Find campsites where you can see other campers. I realize this isn't always possible for you but when possible.

Wish you safe travels.

Jon
VanLifeWired

Since 2015 but only for trips. I don't travel full time.

Not experienced trouble.

A typical round trip to Alaska for example is 12 to 13,000 miles. I have done it five times. So I spend quite a few nights in transit. Once there, I'll usually stay about a week in an area before moving to another.

Statistically (I know,I know) you probably had far more chance of being harmed in a car wreck over those many months and 70,000+ miles of travel than being attacked by a stranger.

Paranoia didn't stop you from making those trips then.....so is this a new thing? :)

I'm sure most of the crime is found in the cities, so camping out in the boonies would be (is!) far safer.

PS: Thanks for the pics. I wish I could afford to go again...

Last edited:
Wow, beautiful... I’d probably ignore it out there. Most people you describe are just rude at best. Bear spray works on humans too... so you might want to have a can of that in the rare case.

In 2019 I was in Northern British Columbia within a hundred miles from where several people were killed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Northern_British_Columbia_murders
Now yesterday right around the time I posted here, three people were killed in a State park in Iowa.

https://apnews.com/article/iowa-nebraska-des-moines-sarah-schmidt-79dc29d592802e9f3cade5c093aa4559

So, Alaska has a high crime rate, twice the national average. Do you really think that the criminals congregate and party on the isolated picnic tables in your picture? Why do you think people would go to nowhere and wait until you show up to do bad things to you? And, after five trips, without trouble, you still have this problem. I doubt any flood lights, warnings, escape plans or remote start buttons will every do anything more than trouble your mind.

I am afraid that an isolated van from out of town is an invitation. I think I've heard that opportunity is one of the triggers of crime. In setting myself up as a target I worry I will attract crime. Even in the most isolated parts of North America a vehicle passes by every few hours. Most of the people driving by are locals of this perhaps vast area. If you have driven extensively through North America you know how much poverty and run down areas there are. A tourist in his costly van means cash, jewelry, electronics, expensive items of one kind or another. Temptation is created. The thought of an easy crime is created.

I cannot escape my fears but perhaps I can get early warnings, a reaction time advantage, a chance to take off. Maybe technology can help me survive.

^That Iowa park gets 300,000 visitors each year.

So the chances of dying in that park this year have been 1-in-100,000.

Your chances of dying in a car wreck in a given year are 1-in-8500.

If you really want to stay safe, don't drive.

There are a number of security camera setups you can use depending on how stealth you'd like it to be. I don't know what your rig looks like so it's hard to say what would work best. A lot have infrared so they would be effective at night.

You can also set up small flood lights that you can operate from inside as needed. Even 2 way audio is fairly simple and there are some good kits.

All of this isn't very expensive (relatively), and wouldn't take a lot of energy to run.

Being able to see what's around you at a glance, light up the area if needed, and having the ability to communicate to people outside without opening a door/window and without having to yell, which could escalate a situation inadvertantly.

The more info you give regarding your rig, finances you want to allocate to this project, and how much stealth regarding these items, the better we can help you

My vehicle is a simple Winnebago Revel van. 19'7". With the cargo tray 23". It is a bit high, 10'6" which is what makes it stand out more than a regular van.

I would gladly spend up to $10,000 to increase my safety or probability of avoiding iffy situations. Like Sun Tzu taught us. The ultimate victory is to win avoiding the battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.