Selecting a Small Travel Trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WannaBeFree

Reaction score
I’d like to purchase the smallest travel trailer I can for my F150 which has these features:
  • Cargo Carry – 2500+ pounds
  • Water – Fresh 50+Gal, Gray 40+Gal, Black 40+Gal
  • Freezer and Fridge
  • Range and Oven
  • Shower and toilet
I’d like to use this to explore the US and spend the majority of my time in nature boon docking locations.  The one issue I see with a TT is how to explore cities as I don’t think you can disconnect your TT in a Walmart and explore like you can park a motor home and disconnect your toad and explore.

The one I’m looking at now is a Coleman 192RD.  It is 22’ 11” from bumper to tip of tongue and weighs 4,051 pounds.  Does anyone have experience with this model or know of even a smaller one with these features?

Thanks!

I.have a 2015 forrest river r- 179. Meets all your requirements and alitte lighter.:)

I'm not familiar with the Coleman line of trailers but I would also research products from other manufacturers, too. When I was shopping for travel trailers last year, it seemed like many manufacturers had a competing models with comparable features. I looked at Jayco, Coachman and I think Forest River/Rockwood. Find the best deal, best fit after checking out several dealerships.

I think the limiting factor will be cargo carrying capacity for trailers that size. 2500# seems like a lot for a small travel trailer. Good luck on your search!

That's lot of stuff!  

What I meant in my post about limiting factor was I think 2500# of cargo carrying will rule out many smaller trailers.  I was also surprised of the size of the tanks for a smaller trailer.  45-50 gallons per fresh, black, grey is pretty good size (not sure why they make the black so big, though).

Winnebago has a trailer line they call Micro Minnie. They are tandem axle so can carry a large load for a light trailer. 1706FB Ultralite is a tandem axle that weighs 3180 lbs and has a loaded weight rating of over 7,000 lbs.

If you truly need 2500 lb cargo capacity, you may want to look at the small toy haulers.

If you have the manual for your truck, I would check and see what the tow rating is for your specific dynamics. My thoughts on the trailer? I don't like Dutchman or Thor products. There was a time that Coleman was a great name when it stood alone or under Fleetwood. This would be classed as an entry model and under heavy use about 4 or 5 years before it really starts to show heavy wear. With the entry level trailers, you must stay on top of maintenance which will stretch their life some. I worked in the office of a 5 star factory direct 5th wheel manufacturer and also have had 8 RVs (4 pop-ups, TT, 5th, micro-mini motorhome, Class C motorhome) quality has not improved over the years for sure. We have all read how the quality has decreased. Right now, dealers should be very negotiable on 2016s still in stock and often a used unit, barely used, can be a better buy.

What I read long ago in an Escapees article was always helpful. It said to look for pride in workmanship even with less expensive units. Look for things installed sloppy, crooked, gaps, etc. Entry level can be OK as we had a Salem, Forest River entry level and keeping ahead of maintenance and getting some of the things fixed because of lack of quality control worked, the old "value vs price", it was pretty darn good for the money we paid.

DannyB1954 said:
Winnebago has a trailer line they call Micro Minnie. They are tandem axle so can carry a large load for a light trailer.  1706FB Ultralite is a tandem axle that weighs 3180 lbs and has a loaded weight rating of over 7,000 lbs.  

I really like the look of that model and love the length, shorter than the Coleman, but the water capacity is about half of the Coleman.  Though with 2520 carry capacity you could affix auxiliary water tanks.

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2016/Minnie/M-1706FB/6550834/Specs

Snow Gypsy said:
If you have the manual for your truck, I would check and see what the tow rating is for your specific dynamics.  My thoughts on the trailer?  I don't like Dutchman or Thor products.  There was a time that Coleman was a great name when it stood alone or under Fleetwood.  This would be classed as  an entry model and under heavy use about 4 or 5 years before it really starts to show heavy wear.  With the entry level trailers, you must stay on top of maintenance which will stretch their life some.  I worked in the office of a 5 star factory direct 5th wheel manufacturer and also have had 8 RVs (4 pop-ups, TT, 5th, micro-mini motorhome, Class C motorhome) quality has not improved over the years for sure.  We have all read how the quality has decreased.  Right now, dealers should be very negotiable on 2016s still in stock and often a used unit, barely used, can be a better buy.  

What I read long ago in an Escapees article was always helpful.  It said to look for pride in workmanship even with less expensive units.  Look for things installed sloppy, crooked, gaps, etc.  Entry level can be OK as we had a Salem, Forest River entry level and keeping ahead of maintenance and getting some of the things fixed because of lack of quality control  worked, the old "value vs price", it was pretty darn good for the money we paid.

Good point on the quality of the manufacturer.  I was looking at a similar floor plan from Keystone Summerland but it is a couple feet longer, the water capacities are decent but lower, and the carry on capacity is 2155 vs 3626.  I'd like to add auxiliary tanks for fresh/gray water and gas (generator) and 2155 would be more than enough but I was thinking an extra 1400 pounds of carry on capacity would suggest a better build.  Though it might just suggest you'll end up with a nice axles with a trailer which has fallen apart ;)

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2016/Coleman-by-Dutchmen/M-192RD/6563806/Specs
http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2016/Keystone-RV/M-2020-QB/6554763/Specs

Yes that's my baby, it is a r-179 though they have it shown as a m-179, just a misprint, I'm really pleased with it's performance.:)

The quality of the build will live long after the purchase has been made. If you can walk around a RV storage facility and look at various makers and models you'll see a vast difference.

Do your homework and ask plenty of questions. Ask questions you already know the answers too. Based on the answer you can judge if someone really knows what their selling and talking about.

If I were looking into a trailer, I'd consider the Casita line.

Towing capacity is one thing,  Being able to STOP is another. being pushed down a mountain is NOT fun.  not all camper trailers have Electric assist Brakes on them.
 I had a Casita for a long time---loved it-it had Brakes. finally sold it to a great couple that wanted to see America He had a Suburu that was capable of towing it & being able to stop.
sparky1 in Va.

For a smaller trailer of top quality, check out the Casita products. Ive had mine for 16 years and it is still in almost perfect condition. The tanks may be a bit smaller than you require, but everything else seems okay. Easy to pull behind an F-150. For years I pulled mine with a Chrysler mini-van.

Let us know what you end up buying; and pictures, of course!

Good luck.

Don't overlook the good ole cargo trailer.Costs MUCH less than a travel trailer,better resale value and you can just (only) put what ya want in it.

LoupGarou said:
The quality of the build will live long after the purchase has been made. If you can walk around a RV storage facility and look at various makers and models you'll see a vast difference.

Do your homework and ask plenty of questions. Ask questions you already know the answers too. Based on the answer you can judge if someone really knows what their selling and talking about.

If I were looking into a trailer, I'd consider the Casita line.

I really like the Casita but want a freezer/fridge, oven, and much higher carry on and water capacity.  A Casita with tandem axels to support the extra weight and features would be great.  I'm thinking you could probably get all this into a Casita around 19 feet which would be great for dispersed camping.

Ken in Anaheim said:
Don't overlook the good ole cargo trailer.Costs MUCH less than a travel trailer,better resale value and you can just (only) put what ya want in it.

Those are intriguing but I'm concerned that if I tried to build out something similar to the Coleman 192RD I'd never complete it.

One option I've been considering is simply adding a cap to the truck and building it out to accommodate no frills exploring in areas which I shouldn't take the trailer.  Problem with this is the 6.5 foot truck bed and cap flush with truck roof (to maximize fuel economy) doesn't offer a lot of space.

Preach said:
I.have a 2015 forrest river r- 179. Meets all your requirements and alitte lighter.:)

If that is the R-Pod 179, I really like that model. It has a lot going for it.

If you are going to the rtf. I will be there with my rig and you can check it out if you would like? :)

Latest posts