Selecting a Small Travel Trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks hepcat,

Great points.  Thank you  :) 

Your point on tongue weight distribution is very applicable for adding a bike to the end and 4 of the 6V golf cart batteries to the hitch.  Is there a good way to weigh the tongue weight?  My trailer has about a 450 pound tongue weight according to the dealer so I couldn't use a bathroom scale to test the weight.  Are consumer priced scales made to measure tongue weight?

75% of my truck's rated tow weight is 9,000 so I'll hopefully be good with this trailer.  I was really concerned with the brakes but driving back from Richmond IN to the Washington D.C. area I encountered some really steep grades.  This trailer's aerodynamics acts much like a parachute which is horrible for fuel mileage but led to me not needing to brake much at all going down the mountains.  BUT, this was with an empty trailer.  I'm sure adding in gear and water will require more braking.

No one is going to be able to simply point at a trailer and say that fits your requirements exactly. Not even yourself. Begin looking at the RV sales sites and put in your parameters and see what comes up. Here is a company that builds custom Toy Haulers in AZ is https://dunesport.com/
The interesting thing about that company is everything is an option so you can select the pieces you want to fit your needs. The tank capacities are as close to the range you want of any I have seen, all three are 50 gallons.
Toy Haulers have a larger carrying capacity than most trailers and their floor is stronger.

Latest posts