East Coast angler

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkeil911

Reaction score
Hello, everyone! Thank you to the people who set up this forum and all the contributors to it. 
I'm planning on a minimal conversion of a used Toyota Sienna AWD Limited into a mobile tent. I haven't bought the vehicle yet, but I've been reading fora to learn as much as I can about this way of traveling. I looked at a lot of campers and trailers (man, that Revel is sweet, and Thor is going to sell a lot of those Compass/Gemini) but decided that route was going to put too big a hit on the retirement savings. I intend to do the very least I can to outfit the interior of the Sienna and will rely on technology to provide the comfort I need. I will, for instance lower the 40 seat in the rear to provide leg room and slide the passenger middle seat forward. I'm only 5.5 feet, so I don't need much length, and I sleep on my back pretty much the whole night. So a couple feet of memory foam width at the bottom and hips and three feet at the shoulders should be plenty. I have no back pain to speak of, and usually I go right to sleep after a day of fishing. If that sleeping plan proves impractical, I'll adapt. The comfort technologies I'm thinking of include a moonroof ceiling fan panel for condensation and evening cooling, solar window shields, skeeter nets, perhaps a portable A/C, heater, and Dometic fridge at some point. I don't cook, usually consuming a granola bar at daybreak, making a couple sandwiches for lunch, and going out for dinner later on. I made such a trip west for 4-6 weeks in 2018 and 2019 in an Accord to chase trout, but I had a large tent for those trips. After reading stories of big cat attacks in CO, my wife thought I needed a hard top, but sleeping in the car was never an option. I like tent camping a great deal and have done a lot of it, but cats don't scare me. Like bison, bears, and moose, cats deserve our wariness. I'm looking forward to hearing rain pound on the van top pretty much the same way it does on a tent. There's no better sleep than that. I'm going to raise the Sienna body, probably with that 3.5 inch kit that seems to be popular and some off-road rubber. Travel plans include summers and falls in the western fishing hotspots and their not-so-well-known tribs and backcountry brethren. If there are trout in them, I'll find them. Spring and some falls will be spent on the salmon/steelhead streams of the eastern Great Lakes, and there will be outings to NY, PA, VA, NC, and MD. Maybe one summer will be given to our northern neighbor and another to Alaska. Winters I'll be tying flies, mending equipment, upgrading the van, etc. I'd live in the West if I could, but my wife won't hear of it so we're left with this. It could be a lot worse! So I look forward to reading your posts and contributing when I can.

Welcome to the forum....

Get that van ready and join us in the Smoky Mountains the third week of April for some great trout fishing on a mountain river.

We will be camping on private land right by the river and chatting about vans, solar and long range internet.

Please join us if you can.

Welcome to the forum and lifestyle jkeil919. Sounds like a fishy story to me. But you seem hooked on trying it. Sorry for the poor attempt at humor. Hope you find what you’re fishing for and maybe we will cross each other‘s path because I’m an East Coast Snowbird. Florida right now but PA is my home. Born and raised about 3 miles from the Yellowbreeches Creek, Between York and Cumberland County‘s. Most trout fisherman know exactly where that’s at. When I was young I pulled quite a few out of there.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Be careful with lifts as the increase the angle the axles operate at and can wear out components prematurely. Several out west set up a small cargo trailer as a man cave for fishing equipment/camper that stays ready to go usually pulled with a 4x4 truck or SUV.

Welcome to the forum, from another newcomer :)

I have driven Siennas a lot at work, mostly ones converted for wheelchair use. They have adequate room for trips when there are no rear seats. They are good for trips, and liveable for single people. I had planned on using one for trip purposes, then found myself in a tentative living situation and decided a cargo van would be better and could accommodate 3 adults if it becomes necessary.

Jacking Siennas is risky business. I'd just settle for the fact that they have a higher clearance than most other minivans. I have taken my job's Siennas up on dirt mountain roads when taking clients on mountain trips - they do just fine on a road that is a combination of packed dirt, semi-buried boulders, flood gullies, and sometimes a bit of gravel the rangers occasionally decide to put on the top. They do well on hairpin turns on those roads if taken slow. Something they don't do, is drive well in snow. I almost went into a river because of ice, and the rangers at Blackwater Falls had to come out to get me and my wheelchair-dependent client out of that spot.

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome. I have some reading to do of the many other posts in the forum and about Sienna capabilities, body lift, snow tires, and the lifestyle. I look forward to all of it and to meeting some of my co-travellers along the way. One of the elements about fly fishing I've always enjoyed has been the learning curve and the variety of voices out there on every subject. Perhaps there's something similar in CheapRVLiving.