Securing the Van while Parked: security mesh; extra internal locks, etc.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John61CT said:

Oh, I've been thinking about getting large reusable decals printed for some time now. One day, Joe's Plumbing Service, the next day a generic moving service, etc. Phone number is probably a Google Voice number that just says leave a message. Messages that accidentally never get returned. 

This item just hasn't moved up the task list yet, but I'm also not sure quite how to pull off the reusable sticker part. Something like a very durable clear or white plastic that can be printed on and attached with water and a squeegee.

Tom

Magnetic signage is available.

Just make sure if you insist on using this type of 'stealth' that you're not running afoul of local business ordinances. IMO, you'll be taking your chances of being hassled for conducting business in a town that requires you to have a business license.

Also, if you ever forget to take them off and drive past a weigh scale that requires commercial vehicles of all sizes to stop, you run the risk of being pulled over for failure to stop...good luck on explaining that one!

^^^^^^^^
I like the ideas but ????????
Any commercial signs will require going through DOT weight checks.
Also commercial registration and tax requirement$ .........

Biohazard stickers big ditto.

YMMV

Almost There said:
Magnetic signage is available.

Just make sure if you insist on using this type of 'stealth' that you're not running afoul of local business ordinances. IMO, you'll be taking your chances of being hassled for conducting business in a town that requires you to have a business license.

Also, if you ever forget to take them off and drive past a weigh scale that requires commercial vehicles of all sizes to stop, you run the risk of being pulled over for failure to stop...good luck on explaining that one!

Well, you're just Ms. Party Pooper today, aren't you?  ;-)

Tom

What Party.... :p :D 

You're having a party and you didn't invite me...sigh!

Seriously, I see all the threads and plans about stealth camping/extraordinary security measures and the dollars and efforts that some people who have never lived on the road put in to their plans and just shake my head.

I have to wonder what kind of world it is that they're living in, that danger is around every turn in the road and they're afraid to stick their head out the door.

The world I live in and have done so for over 60 years now is just so much different.

Almost There said:
The world I live in and have done so for over 60 years now is just so much different.

Of course it's different.  You're Canadian.  You still think it's NORMAL to be ruled by a Queen . . .

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Of course it's different.  You're Canadian.  You still think it's NORMAL to be ruled by a Queen . . .

Whereas we seem to think it's normal to be ruled by the person who didn't win. Oh, nevermind. :/

Tom

I may be Canadian but that doesn't necessarily mean that I think like what Americans mostly perceive to be 'normal Canadian thinking'.

And all told, if I added it up, I've spent probably 40% of my life in the US.

I was unfortunately born on the wrong side of the line on the map :( 

Quit picking on me, I'mma gonna tell Mommie..... :p :D :D :angel:

I also do not see the point of trying to hide, deceive, or for Ft. Knox security. so pick on me. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I also do not see the point of trying to hide,  deceive,  or for Ft. Knox security.  so pick on me.  highdesertranger

Who said that chivalry was dead?

Tom

I have very simple security, most of what I own can be easily and cheaply replaced, and it's simply not worth laying out $$$$ to protect possessions that might add up to $1500 or less (not counting tools)

ArtW said:
I have very simple security, most of what I own can be easily and cheaply replaced, and it's simply not worth laying out $$$$ to protect possessions that might add up to $1500 or less (not counting tools)

There's a lot of truth in what you say, Art.  Still I find the idea of LETTING someone do that to me because I didn't take enough precautions against it to be personally distasteful.

For my trailer, I plan to install an alarm that release pepper spray if someone forces their way in. 

(Note that I said TRAILER.  It is considered unsafe to use one of these in a vehicle because of the danger it might accidently go off, or leak, while you were driving on the highway.)

http://www.burglarbomb.com/

Oh, i wouldn't just let someone take my stuff, I lock doors and take reasonable precautions, it's just a matter of when it's worth it, and when it might cost more than it's worth
for example
In my S&B, my plan in the event of a break in was to put the bed between me and my bedroom door, grab a gun, and call 911, I wouldn't shoot anyone, or risk being shot, over a $25 thrift store TV that someone wanted bad enough to break in to acquire, let alone go through the legal nightmare that would entail
OTOH
In my RV, my bed is right by the door, break in, you're risking a dose of lead

If you believe FBI statistics, 90% of break ins are when the home (or vehicle I would guess) are thought to be deserted. I had my house broken into years ago at 0245 and the cop was telling how rare a residential burglary is at night. He told me my house , or me, was probably watched or someone in the neighborhood who knew my hours did it.

If you watch when a car alarm goes off, nobody pays any attention anymore. Good insurance and basic security when you are gone. More options when you are home but that's another thread.

Rob

If you have homeowner's insurance or renter's insurance with contents coverage it covers your possessions anywhere in the world, not just what's at home. Just an FYI for anyone that isn't full time and has the insurance. Renter's insurance is very cheap and exists just for contents coverage. My last apartment I rented I had a policy that was $180 a year and I had 20k in contents insurance with a $250 deductible. I've heard of even cheaper policies when you have two policies with same company....I.E. auto policy and renters policy.

I'm guessing full timers can get a renter's policy and use whatever address you use for your driver's license. No one ever came to inspect my apartment or belongings before getting any of my policies. If you have contents of significant value and want some insurance on them.

My brother had all his camera equipment stolen on a trip to Africa about ten years ago. About $6k between the camera and all his lenses. His renter's policy covered all of it. Took about 3 months to go through the claims process and receive the check.

probably because i am rural but even when i lived in the city i never locked my vehicle and most the time not the house,never been riped off

I had a 1975 Firebird
On one window was the sticker
'Protected by Smith and Wesson Security System'
in the high powered stereo was one or another Metal album, usually Metallica's 'Kill Em All'
door open, motor running, while i went in the 7-11 pretty much daily
Never even ought anyone touching it
I guess some folks don't like loud music :D

Latest posts