Securing the Van while Parked: security mesh; extra internal locks, etc.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPDX

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newbie with a new gutted (soon) passenger van but still aways away form hitting the road.  Been overthinking security- mainly while away from the van in Urban areas, but also when parked at a trailhead during an overnight hike.  And maybe even when I'm in it.

I realize that with the will, time, and tools a dedicated thief will get in.  I'm thinking of putting the next level of deterrence for the much more common smash and grab. Also, I think some will say that if your that worried, don't park there... but anyone using solutions such as:

1) Does anyone have additional locks inside their door?  Perhaps just 2 D-rings close enough to padlock or run a bike cable through?  I'm thinking the Back Barndoors, the side barndoors and maybe even the passenger door.

2) Anyone have a relatively effective Security screen on the most vulnerable  windows?  A good compromise between security but not look like a jail?  Just the next level of rack-smashing deterrence.

3) And finally my wackiest idea- instead of a hard mounted Bulkhead, some sort of movable security mesh screen sliding on a cable?  Like a Privacy curtain, pulled to the side when not in use. Would have to think about top and bottom tie downs...  Such as:

See attachment in next post...opps

So the all door windows would have some sort of extra smash deterrent.  If smashed, the door could not be opened due to extra padlock or cable lock, except, perhaps, the diver's door.  And there would be a security mesh inhibiting movement into the cargo area.
Krazy?

Thank you, jj

Security mesh.pngsee attachment for securing bulkhead mesh screen:

Attachments

• Security mesh.png
    Security mesh.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 65
I think you'd be better covered with property insurance and a baseball bat.

That looks like Bob's Van.  I've seen a few guys use these or similar when the slide lock stopped working so they could still hold the door shut, wonder if Bob's using it for that reason or extra security?

Every Road Leads Home said:
That looks like Bob's Van.  I've seen a few guys use these or similar when the slide lock stopped working so they could still hold the door shut, wonder if Bob's using it for that reason or extra security?

The picture shows the hasps but not the lock, so apparently Bob's doors stay shut ok when he's driving.

JMO. You do not want to set up anything that requires keys, lights etc for security inside the van. If you needed to get out quick, you are stuck.

remember the smash and grab guys are going to smash and grab. in other words they are going to break a window. you can't stop that. even if you don't have anything available to them you still have a broken window. highdesertranger

Seems like that would be handy for the thieves.  They can break and knock out the window, and then gently lift it out in one convenient piece so they don't get cut.  Very considerate.

Fun aside:

1.  How could any product, much less a stick-on product, provide security without any way to keep the window in the window frame?

2.  I noticed that the promo video was heavy on U.S flags and smiling, protected families, but said nothing about price.  Anyone know?

Vagabound

Nothing is going to absolutely, positively protect your van in this situation. If they want to get in, they're going to get in. The very best you can do is slow them down and hope that's enough of a hindrance to discourage them.

^^^ Yep, bear or beast, err I mean burglar, the idea really is about making your picnic basket less enticing than someone else's. :D If it's not just an opportunistic situation then nothing is going to stop the beasts, err burglars.

I follow these rules
Try to own older stuff, it gets stolen less
try to buy stuff in thrift shops, it's less of a hit if it does get taken

I'm aware my stuff might get stolen but I don't spend much time worrying about it because.....well because there is really nothing you can do to stop it outside of keeping stuff out of sight and locking your doors. Outside of that, if they want in bad enough, they are getting in.

My grandmother lived a life of paranoia over stuff being stolen, no idea where or why she picked up this phobia. She spent more time locking up, putting away and thinking about stuff being stolen than the stuff was worth. 89 years of constant worrying and the only thing that ever walked away was a $200 rowboat.

I've lost everything I own twice (no lock will stop fire).
It's all just stuff people !

YOU are all that matters , they make stuff every day.

"2. I noticed that the promo video was heavy on U.S flags and smiling, protected families, but said nothing about price. Anyone know?"

Just to the right of the video is the price and shopping options.

30" x 15' tinted roll is $329
30" x 25' clear roll is $369

I think the Amazon options were cheaper.

No it won't stop a determined thief, but may slow down and frustrate the smash and grab druggie.

The determined pro can bypass anything....hopefully he stays urban where the money is.

Latest posts