Searching for my own Walden

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldenbound

Reaction score
I guess intros are the place to get wordy, so here goes.

My plan for retirement used to be to work until they dragged me out of the office and put me in a pine box. Not a very fun plan.

Then I thought I would get an RV and fulltime in it. I'm finding out RVs have issues though. First issue is that I"m not the most confident driver. All I need to do is drive a 5th wheel down some road, then find out I can't turn around. Nice going. Then, there's nothing like going to the National Park of your dreams, then find out you can't stay because your rig is too big.

I thought about vans, but I think of two things when I think of vans. Delivery drivers and Buffalo Bill from "Silence of the Lambs". Then I thought, "Well, why the heck not?"

I have very good camping skills. I've lived in a tent in Alaska for two months. I slept in a snow cave. I have all kinds of backpacking and camping gear. Except for not having a van yet, I'm 90% ready to go in terms of gear.

I test drove a Ford Transit 250 commercial van today. They are sweet rides, I drove a long length with a medium roof. I'm 5'3" and I had about 6" extra in head room. I'm going to watch this van for awhile and make sure it doesn't it turn into another Ford Edsel.

Giving that a van has limited space and more primitive systems, I would move down south. I used to live in the southwest, would love to return. Starry nights, wide open spaces, quiet, wildflowers, my own Walden. A body can only take 50 degrees and spitting rain for endless months at a time. Yeah, I could "perma-camp" my way through retirement just fine.

Well, this is a long-term plan, but I will be active around here. What is the preference here, asking a question on a new thread, or resurrecting an old thread?

Welcome!

Your Plan B retirement will be a whole lot more fun and probably last longer than Plan A.

The best 'move' is not necessarily to the 'south'. although that's a good plan too..it's to move with the weather and on a whim!

A whole lot move north and south with the seasons. Some in the west move up and down instead...higher elevations in the summer, down in the winter.

There's a number of great benefits of having a smaller rig including where it can go...down that 2 rut dirt road for example, that you'd never, ever dare to take a big RV.

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Waldenbound! Your Plan B is a much better plan!

My advice for asking questions would be to do a quick search and if you don't find what your looking for ask the question.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Greetings and Welcome!

It's a great life, you'll enjoy it.

Do give some thought as whether or not you want windows and how many, and whether or not they open. Ventilation is very important.

Almost There said:
Welcome!

Your Plan B retirement will be a whole lot more fun and probably last longer than Plan A.

The best 'move' is not necessarily to the 'south'. although that's a good plan too..it's to move with the weather and on a whim!

A whole lot move north and south with the seasons. Some in the west move up and down instead...higher elevations in the summer, down in the winter.

There's a number of great benefits of having a smaller rig including where it can go...down that 2 rut dirt road for example, that you'd never, ever dare to take a big RV.

Yes! I agree with everything "Almost There" said.   :idea:

Also consider a rig's height, & the ability to stand up inside (very nice to have). Windows with venting (nice).  Roof venting (required, imho, but others here know better than I do).  And the ability to run & charge all the electrical & electronic devices you want, and most likely will be using daily. (computer, cell phone, tablet, vent fan, radio, CD player, overhead lighting.)  And gas mileage as well. 

I currently have a rig that is too large, & it is only 19ft.  Sadly it lacks ground clearance too.   A slightly over-sized van, with a high-top would be my personal preference. 

I think looking at a very-very wide range of new, on the showroom or lot, is the way to go..... and buy that way if you can afford it.  
Me, I'll be shopping new, but buying used.  Cause that's how I roll.    :cool:

p.s. I retired young, in spite of having a great & exciting job.  And I am glad I did!!!  And I wish I had done it sooner!

p.p.s. Welcome  :D

Comfort & reliability are at the top of my list, gas mileage is near the bottom.

Be careful of extended length vans of older vintage. Reading too many horror stories of stability issues at high speed.

At least read the stories yourself and form an educated opinion on that issue.

Good ideas and thoughts, waldenbound. I've been lurking, reading and not posting. But your post has pushed me to finally say something: welcome to this excellent forum, and I'll be following your progress since it's similar to my own thoughts and desires. No rig yet, old camping equipment handy, getaway needs blossoming. One thing about full-timing: I can't have a garden! So I'm not quite ready to pull my roots out.

Peripatetica

Love the new Transit vans. I'm 5'7" and would also do the med roof height version, but SWB instead of LWB -- don't think I'd need the length, others will disagree.

Use the search engine to see if your question is already answered in an existing thread, and don't be shy about resurrecting old threads if they don't answer your specific question.

peripatetica said:
... One thing about full-timing:  I can't have a garden!  So I'm not quite ready to pull my roots out.

Peripatetica

That is what I will miss most. I had big dreams of a garden this year, but life happens, and overall I know I'll be happier.

Latest posts