scooters and off road motorcycles

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, thought it included off road bikes other than kymco, delete my contributions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know of two major scooter dealers here in Tally (as opposed to MC dealers that also sell scooters), and one advertises Kymco brand. I recall a buddy dealing with another smaller scooter store (specialized in service and repair), but don't recall if they handled Kymco.
Having two major universities, and a lot of drunks who lost their licenses, this is a scooter rich environment. :)

Gunny said:
Sorry, thought it included off road bikes other than kymco, delete my contributions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need to break out the chainsaw. Maybe we can just move some around a little bit so they fit better. :)

Vagabound

I had a Kawasaki KLR 250 for years and recently picked up a Yamaha XT250. Carried both on a receiver hitch, in front on my pickup when I had the truck camper and now on the rear with my van. Both are reliable bikes, a lot of fun on the forest roads, and street legal for trips to town. They are not powerful bikes but adequate for just about any trail you will come across. The XT has a lower seat height than the KLR which is what prompted me to switch. Makes off road trail riding that much easier.

One of the most depressing days I have had in recent memory was when I realized I was no longer a competent bike rider. Left hip just would not support the weight on trails.

Got my bike license in 1964, still have the endorsement but won't use it.

The ATV is okay but not the same.

Rob

Gunny said:
One of the most depressing days I have had in recent memory was when I realized I was no longer a competent bike rider. Left hip just would not support the weight on trails.

Got my bike license in 1964, still have the endorsement but won't use it.

The ATV is okay but not the same.

Rob

I too finally came to the sad realization that my riding days are over, and traded my beloved KLR650 away. Hard to see the old hoss go, but I hadn't ridden it in three years.
I hate age-related health problems.....

It's fun but just not the same. I plan to do the Rubicon before I die so I had best make it happen after snowmelt. I hope to find a couple of guys on bikes to ride with. 

IMG_0158.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 10
Kawasaki Super Sherpas are pretty awesome if you find a good deal on one.  6th gear for versatility. Light weight.   Will carry a small family and groceries.

My buddy has a TW200 and it's such a great little bike that's fun to ride. I plan on getting one when I hit the road. Actually trying to get him to sell me his. He carries his on receiver hitch on back of an S10 Chevy Blazer with no issues.

That TW200 looks like a cool little bike. Used they seem to be going for $3,000 to $4,000. That's basically double the price of a _new_ Kymco 125cc scooter, but it does provide off-road capability that the scooter wouldn't have.

Question: 
Last time I was thinking about those off-road type of motorcycles, they were called Enduros. That gives you some idea how out-of-date I am. My question is related to the seats. Basically they all look like they have no seat. Or should I say a seat like those cool high dollar road bicycles that nobody would want to sit on. So, for the people who know, what's it like to actually sit on one of those for longer than 5 minutes,  comfort wise?

Vagabound

I second the Tw200 Yamaha.  Very easy to ride.  Very reliable.  Simple to maintain. Tons of traction and the rear tires last much longer than regular moto (dual sport or dirt bike) tires.  Fairly popular in the RV community.

I am bit confused with the all the dual sports that have been suggested in this thread being called off road motorcycles.  Off road motorcycles are not designed for any street use.  Modern dual sports can be legally driven on the street as well ridden in the dirt, within reason.  Unless one is a world class dirt rider, trying to ride a dual sport at speeds that can be easily attained by a true dirt bike will result almost certainly in serious injury.  Or worse.

There are some full blown dirt bikes that are street legal.  So you could call them dual sports but they are not designed or intended to spend much time on the tarmac.   Linking dirt tracks together by riding a bit on the pavement is what they are all about. They are very expensive to buy and surprisingly demanding of both time and $$$'s to maintain. They are primarily sold (in decreasing number of sales) by KTM, Husky and Beta. 

In another life I made my living by working on motorcycles, outboard motors, jet skis and generators.

Vagabound said:
That TW200 looks like a cool little bike. Used they seem to be going for $3,000 to $4,000. That's basically double the price of a _new_ Kymco 125cc scooter, but it does provide off-road capability that the scooter wouldn't have.

Question: 
Last time I was thinking about those off-road type of motorcycles, they were called Enduros. That gives you some idea how out-of-date I am. My question is related to the seats. Basically they all look like they have no seat. Or should I say a seat like those cool high dollar road bicycles that nobody would want to sit on. So, for the people who know, what's it like to actually sit on one of those for longer than 5 minutes,  comfort wise?

Vagabound

Compared to a real dirt bike the Tw200 has a downright cushy seat.   My WR250R Yamaha dual sport has narrow seat much like a dirt bike.  But since I am also a mountain biker it works great for me.

The link below is for Seat Concepts, they make kits to modify seats for lots of motos to individual tastes:

http://www.seatconcepts.com/store/

I am a sucker for dual sport bikes. Dr 650, DRZ400, 1973 Yamaha CT175 and Husky FE501s

29chico said:

I am bit confused with the all the dual sports that have been suggested in this thread being called off road motorcycles. 

In my case, it's just sloppy terminology. First, I'm a bit ignorant about the right word to use for which bike. Second, as I already mentioned, I'm way out of date on this topic.

Vagabound

There are two basic types of Dual Sport bikes.
The KLR650 and similar are larger, overly heavy for offroad, but better on highway. The KLR has the widest most comfy seat of the DS bikes.
The others are smaller, lighter, better offroad, but not as good on highway. Skinny uncomfortable seats.
Basically, moddified streetbike vs. modified dirtbike.

We KLR riders consider a 400 mile ride as long, and I was about ready to take an overnight break by then. Rocket bikers think 50 miles is a long ride. I would too, if having to use that tiny buttpad for a seat.

The larger scooters have comfy seats. But no offroad use. Our scooter buddies on long rides had to go slower even on smooth dirt/gravel roads. We had to wait for them to catch up at each intersection.

Heh Lee, I saw an earlier post where you mentioned selling your KLR, then saw later the explanation. That's a bummer. I plan on riding mine as long as I can, which is hopefully quite some time as I'm ''only'' 53. My older son told me when my balance starts to go he's going to get me a sidecar. I just might hold him to it. But I do agree that as we age our reaction times just aren't what they used to be and at some point - different for each of us - we need to first take ourselves off the bike, then out of behind the wheel.

As for dirt riding and seat comfort, I've taken my KLR on several technical trails, but it is heavy and a handful. Not nearly as much fun as a 250. Sand is almost worse as the front end wants to dig in - hard to hold on and get enough speed to stay on top. As for comfort, I have a stock seat and can do 600 mile days no problem, and have even hit a high of 875. But I've also done several 1200 mile days in my truck so that may play into it.

Also, somewhere people were talking about transporting these bikes. An empty dry KLR weighs 347 lbs or there about, but realistically with a full tank of gas and luggage it's about 400 lbs. Normally I haul mine in my cargo trailer conversion or in a utility trailer, but I do have a heavy duty Moto Hauler brand hitch hauler rated at 500 lbs. I've hauled my bike on it several times with no issues, but I'm also driving a 1 ton truck. I would haul it on the back of a 1 ton regular van, but not on the back of a Ford or Dodge extended van, or anything lighter duty.

masterplumber said:
Heh Lee, I saw an earlier post where you mentioned selling your KLR, then saw later the explanation. That's a bummer. I plan on riding mine as long as I can, which is hopefully quite some time as I'm ''only'' 53. My older son told me when my balance starts to go he's going to get me a sidecar. I just might hold him to it. But I do agree that as we age our reaction times just aren't what they used to be and at some point - different for each of us - we need to first take ourselves off the bike, then out of behind the wheel.

As for dirt riding and seat comfort, I've taken my KLR on several technical trails, but it is heavy and a handful. Not nearly as much fun as a 250. Sand is almost worse as the front end wants to dig in - hard to hold on and get enough speed to stay on top. As for comfort, I have a stock seat and can do 600 mile days no problem, and have even hit a high of 875. But I've also done several 1200 mile days in my truck so that may play into it.

Also, somewhere people were talking about transporting these bikes. An empty dry KLR weighs 347 lbs or there about, but realistically with a full tank of gas and luggage it's about 400 lbs. Normally I haul mine in my cargo trailer conversion or in a utility trailer, but I do have a heavy duty Moto Hauler brand hitch hauler rated at 500 lbs. I've hauled my bike on it several times with no issues, but I'm also driving a 1 ton truck. I would haul it on the back of a 1 ton regular van, but not on the back of a Ford or Dodge extended van, or anything lighter duty.

I will be 60 in March, and my balance is good. Problem is I have a certain rare medical condition that makes it impossible to sit on a motorcycle. Google "scrotal lymphedema" for the details. Irritating, incurable but nonfatal.
Anyhoo, I have friends still riding in their 70s.
I modified my first KLR seat for better long distance comfort, then later got a stock second seat for local riding. One trick I learned was to omit the seat's side bolts, making accessing the battery quicker and easier. The seat fits snugly and will not dislodge even in a highway laydown. Been there, did that! I also converted the two main underseat fuses from glass Buss fuses to plastic blade type, with extended wires making them accessible without removing the seat. I also removed the kickstand ignition interlock and the interlock in the clutch lever unit. These interlocks WILL fail leaving you dead on the roadside, or in the boonies - been there too.
Another must do is replacing the anemic stock headlight bulb with a GE Silverstar, doubles the light output. A new aftermarket headlight cable/relay unit improves it even more. These mods are great on any DS bike.

Most of the folks here are talking about 200s and 250s, those are a fair bit lighter than a KLR 650, especially the air cooled ones
And Lee, is right, the KLR series is more an 'adventure bike' than a true dual sport
And no, a Silverwing 600 is not an off road bike by any means, nor is any scooter, but they'll go most places a stock 2 wd van will, if you know what you're doing, and don't get too dumb ob them
Mine's been ridden up a creek :D
if i was seriously wanting to 'back woods' camp, I'd have a 4x4 and pack an XT 250 or some such

Latest posts