scooters and off road motorcycles

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vagabound said:
That TW200 looks like a cool little bike. Used they seem to be going for $3,000 to $4,000. That's basically double the price of a _new_ Kymco 125cc scooter, but it does provide off-road capability that the scooter wouldn't have.
Check out the Kymco Super 8 w/dualsport tires.  Looks like fun.  Or their Grom clone.  I bet some DS tires would spoon onto those wheels.  Might have to space the front fender a bit.

The old Honda Trail 70 and Trail 90 bikes still have loyal followers, and are made in clone form in China. Original Honda parts fit them, and vice-versa. Rugged little bikes for buzzing around trails and urban streets. They'd be great for local transport when vancamping at Q or other places. No need to break camp just to visit town.

Dual sport Yamaha WR250 four stroke 35hp, 70mph freeway, sore butt after about 90 miles, turn off freeway and go up the mountain in a creek bed, 70mpg.   We love them.

wabeachcamp.jpg

longbeachmoto.jpg

Attachments

• wabeachcamp.jpg
    wabeachcamp.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 11
  • longbeachmoto.jpg
    longbeachmoto.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 9
frater secessus said:
Check out the Kymco Super 8 w/dualsport tires.  Looks like fun.  Or their Grom clone.  I bet some DS tires would spoon onto those wheels.  Might have to space the front fender a bit.

Kymco's Super 8 150cc is  interesting. They have a couple other bikes that are even more so. The problem with some of them, as I've mentioned before, is that they don't make them available in the US. However the Super 8 does seem to be available here.

Vagabound

LeeRevell said:
The old Honda Trail 70 and Trail 90 bikes still have loyal followers, and are made in clone form in China.  Original Honda parts fit them, and vice-versa.  Rugged little bikes for buzzing around trails and urban streets.  They'd be great for local transport when vancamping at Q or other places.  No need to break camp just to visit town.

Would you happen to know the name of this clone? ..Willy.

Vagabound said:
That TW200 looks like a cool little bike. Used they seem to be going for $3,000 to $4,000. That's basically double the price of a _new_ Kymco 125cc scooter, but it does provide off-road capability that the scooter wouldn't have.

Question: 
Last time I was thinking about those off-road type of motorcycles, they were called Enduros. That gives you some idea how out-of-date I am. My question is related to the seats. Basically they all look like they have no seat. Or should I say a seat like those cool high dollar road bicycles that nobody would want to sit on. So, for the people who know, what's it like to actually sit on one of those for longer than 5 minutes,  comfort wise?

Vagabound
I've spent quite  a few Saturdays riding my friends.  One Saturday I took it for a 60 min highway ride to Cape Cod and back and did a little sand dune riding in the process.  About 4 hours of mixed riding on it and I never felt any discomfort.  Disclaimer: I also drove a Harley Sportster from Boston, Ma to Dallas Tx and back so my idea of comfort might not be in line with others.

My first bike was a trail 110, did I think I was the s**t? You betcha

Every Road Leads Home said:
I've spent quite  a few Saturdays riding my friends.  One Saturday I took it for a 60 min highway ride to Cape Cod and back and did a little sand dune riding in the process.  About 4 hours of mixed riding on it and I never felt any discomfort.  Disclaimer: I also drove a Harley Sportster from Boston, Ma to Dallas Tx and back so my idea of comfort might not be in line with others.

The KLR650 is a pig offroad, too much weight and too little HP. After a halfhour of horsing it around on tight singletrack, I was worn out. That big wide seat was mighty nice on the ride back to camp, but it does get in the way when offroading.
Those skinny dirtbike seats are great offroad, not so good back on the highway.
It boils down to preference, which way do you want to optimise the bike, for street, highway or dirt? Each as it's pros and cons.

Vagabound said:

Question: 
Last time I was thinking about those off-road type of motorcycles, they were called Enduros. That gives you some idea how out-of-date I am. My question is related to the seats. Basically they all look like they have no seat. Or should I say a seat like those cool high dollar road bicycles that nobody would want to sit on. So, for the people who know, what's it like to actually sit on one of those for longer than 5 minutes,  comfort wise?

Vagabound

A buddy of mine who lives in Tahoe recently bought an '07 TW200 in very good shape for $2200.  The link below is for another '07 TW200 in Redding California.  Asking price is $2600 with 5075 miles.  I'm pretty sure one can get a nice TW used for no higher than $2500. 

http://redding.craigslist.org/mcy/5904953838.html

Only downside of the TW is that it could really benefit with an upgrade to the 40% stiffer springs in the forks to reduce fork dive on braking.  

Yamaha has been making better motorcycles and generators than Honda for a while now.

Don't buy any used vehicle with a K&N pleated gauze air filter in it. They do not trap all of the incoming dust.

LeeRevell said:
The KLR650 is a pig offroad, too much weight and too little HP.  After a halfhour of horsing it around on tight singletrack, I was worn out.  That big wide seat was mighty nice on the ride back to camp, but it does get in the way when offroading.
Those skinny dirtbike seats are great offroad, not so good back on the highway.
It boils down to preference, which way do you want to optimise the bike, for street, highway or dirt?  Each as it's pros and cons.

The KLR is a bit tall for me but your opinion of it seems to be the general consensus out there on them.  I've known a few people that bought them and didn't keep them long.  They are a big bike.

Every Road Leads Home said:
The KLR is a bit tall for me but your opinion of it seems to be the general consensus out there on them.  I've known a few people that bought them and didn't keep them long.  They are a big bike.

Yep, though I am tall, 6'4", my instep is 28". I can just flatfoot the bike on both sides sitting, but I am also heavier than the average rider. I did put a set ox extended peg brackets on it, which moved the pegs an inch lower and an inch further back, to fit my size fifteen gunboats.
The KLR is an immenently modifiable bike, a huge aftermarket of parts and goodies. It's essential mechanicals have changed little since it's introduction in 1987.
But it is tall and heavy. My two closest riding buddies are short fellers, and cannot handle the mighty KLR650. ;-)
But if I get another two-wheeler, if I can sit one, it will be a midsized scooter - 250 to 500cc class. My offroading days are over.

As to fat tires, another rider I know put fat tires on his KLR650 and his wife's Super Sherpa. Gave them much better performance in Florida's soft deep sand. They could skate right over sandy spots the rest of us plowed through!

Vagabound said:
In my case, it's just sloppy terminology. First, I'm a bit ignorant about the right word to use for which bike. Second, as I already mentioned, I'm way out of date on this topic.

Vagabound

Dual Sports are more streetable than the enduros.

Dual sports are neither the best street bikes nor the best dirt bikes. A compromise between the two, with different models, better at one over the other.

The TW200 is a good choice, because of the lower center of gravity and fatter tires. More stable across varied terrain here in lower slower Nevada. Deep poof dust to chunk rocks in the space of 30 feet in a dry wash.

I chose a Suzuki DR200R, more dirt bike like, and have taken some self abuse in pushing that envelope too far. So far, I can always pick it back up and get back home.

MIleage may vary.

-Wayne

There's a fellow I used to follow on YouTube, that had opportunity to test a LOT of different dual sport bikes, from the 250s to the KLR to the Super Tenere
Now, he doesn't trailer, he rides everywhere (including weeks or months long two wheeled adventures, with camping)
His take:
250s, great off road, strained on the highway
650s, great on the highway, pigs off road (slight exception made for the DR650)
his choice, ultimately, a DRZ400, for about a 50/50 mix of dirt and street riding

I have a 1970 Honda CT70 that originally came with a 72cc engine with a three speed automatic clutch. I tore it all down today and I am rebuilding it ground up with a Lifan 125cc engine with a 4 speed manual clutch. The new Lifan has CDI ignition (no points) and is highly rated by guys who have converted from the 72cc engines.

The bike is small, has fold down handle bars so it takes up very little space in the van or on the bumper mount. I can lift it by the built in handles from the ground onto the rear class 3 carry hitch without a problem, as it weighs 143 pounds. Will try to register it with DMV as an on road bike when done, I think I will be successful as it has lights and turn signals.

BTW, it will do 55 mph on flat ground!

I have a couple of the Chinese (Icebear) 125cc Ct-70 clones. You will like the 125cc conversion. Both of mine are street legal, registered and insured - no problem. You will need to do a 12v conversion with battery, rectifier, bulbs, etc, especially if you will be using an electric start engine, like I have. You might also seriously consider adding a disk brake to the front to slow her down, now that you're going so fast. ;)

I put some 3mm bigger carbs on them, Uni air filters and went up 2 teeth on the CS sprocket to 17t. They will hit 60 mph now with my 220lb weight. No telling how fast they would go with a skinny kid all tucked in.
jt0v36.jpg

Chip

Here's a shot of my little bikes.
28cir6a.jpg

66788 said:
I have a 1970 Honda CT70 that originally came with a 72cc engine with a three speed automatic clutch.   I tore it all down today and I am rebuilding it ground up with a Lifan 125cc engine with a 4 speed manual clutch.   The new Lifan has CDI ignition (no points) and is highly rated by guys who have converted from the 72cc engines.

The bike is small, has fold down handle bars so it takes up very little space in the van or on the bumper mount.  I can lift it by the built in handles from the ground onto the rear class 3 carry hitch without a problem, as it weighs 143 pounds.    Will try to register it with DMV as an on road bike when done, I think I will be successful as it has lights and turn signals.

BTW, it will do 55 mph on flat ground!

You should be able to register that CT70 for road use as it was sold back in the day as a road legal bike.  It is also old enough that turn signals should not be required as they were not required originally.

The first Honda Mini Trail 50 was road legal also.

Here's what I settled on.... somewhere between a scooter and off road motorcycle
IMG_20161230_092657_zps3sdy2ahs.jpg

Still waiting on the CO DOR to send me my registration but last time they sent me one no questions asked for the Yamaha competitor to this Honda crf50 kids bike.