Scary thing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoNiE

Reaction score
Saw a Cabover Truck Camper with one of these wheeled motorcycle carriers with a Harley on it today. Was flopping back and forth. Thought it was going to come loose any min!

58montana2.JPG

Yikes! No thanks.

Me not being an engineer, I can only guess at the stresses that rig imparts.   I could maybe see it on the back of an RV with shorter rear overhang, but NOT on a 5ER TT.  Just looks dangerous.  Though, maybe it's perfectly alright......?  At the very least, the wheel does provide more support for the Goldblinger.  Wonder how it does with a lot of vertical roughness in the road?  I cringe to imagine that whole thing detaching at speed on the highway......   :s

Yeah, well it was on an overpass/interchange where It was bobbing around in front of me... I throttled up and went the hell around it asap.

gsfish said:
I knew a woman that pulled a smaller version of that behind a square back VW back in the 80's. It seemed to work OK. She took it from FL to NM and back. One advantage was backing up didn't require any trailer skills. Disadvantages were hooking it up to the car and moving it around on the one wheel tended to be awkward. Also if it was loaded you couldn't just take it off the car easily and then hook back up later as in a 'normal' utility trailer.

Guy

Maybe with a couple jack stands you could!

But I was wondering how that thing backs up with the one wheel. I suppose with the tongue being a rigid connection that wouldn't matter.

TMG51 said:
Maybe with a couple jack stands you could!

But I was wondering how that thing backs up with the one wheel. I suppose with the tongue being a rigid connection that wouldn't matter.

I saw that style of trailer when they were first introduced on the market.

Yes, the tongue is a rigid connection so it doesn't rotate when being backed up. The one I saw also had small wheel dollies on all four corners IIRC so that when detached you could roll it around. That one looks like it only has the 2 on the back. Wheel dollies are great on asphalt but a PITA on gravel. I wouldn't be without the one for the tongue on my CT.

The big wheel is for support and maneuverability going down the highway.

If you saw it wandering like it was in a high wind, it was likely incorrectly loaded and or they hadn't put a stabilizer pin in the hitch. I see trailers swaying like that on the highway and it's usually a case of bad loading techniques.

Almost There said:
I saw that style of trailer when they were first introduced on the market.

I am amazed at how well your able to function being around and remembering those type trailers when they were first introduced. I can only remember pictures of them from the fifties, when they were old at that time, that my  mother had of her and her father and brothers were coming back from Texas. Just picking but those type trailers have been around more than 60 years that I know of

Terry said:
I am amazed at how well your able to function being around and remembering those type trailers when they were first introduced. I can only remember pictures of them from the fifties, when they were old at that time, that my  mother had of her and her father and brothers were coming back from Texas. Just picking but those type trailers have been around more than 60 years that I know of

Huh??

And yes, I'm old enough to remember things from 60 years ago if you were talking about the 5th wheel trailer. And I function just fine TTVM... :p I'm older but not ancient - yet!!

The single wheel fixed hitch trailer specifically meant for hauling motorcycles and/or ATVs that we were talking about haven't been around that long to the best of my knowledge. If they have, then it was an introduction of a new manufacturer that I saw, maybe in the late 80's early 90's.

No, they weren't specifically designed for motorcycles or atv's back in the 50s, but I know that type of trailer was around that long and likely longer. I can't remember that far back myself for sure. So that means your older than me which means that I ain't that old.