Scared wannabe in the Mid Atlantic

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Percepshun

Reaction score
Hi, new to the website and forums.  I have an rv, and am trying to work up the nerve to actually do this thing.  I am retired military. And have nothing holding me in place.  I'm looking to find what "home" means.  I'm just having a hard time making the "jump". What does one do about mail? Prescriptions? Medical?
I'm sure all of this is covered somewhere in the forums orelsewhere.  I'm open to any guidance and info! Thank you.

Hi, Percepshun!
I just joined, so this is my first reply.

I can't answer your questions above, but I've seen they are all covered in the forum. There is no 'one-size-fits-all' when embarking on an adventure like this. You're sure to grow in confidence as you browse the forums, and getting a massive amount of information and help.

Your military training and experiences must certainly be useful assets. I found daily discipline to be of paramount important, never putting things off. The mind tells one what needs to be done at a given time, so listen to the mind and just do it!

Best wishes!

Bob Wells has many videos on the how “to” of all your questions. Look him up on YouTube. He also has a gift of encouragement in his interviews of others he has met!

I use a mail forwarding service which will make a PDF image that I can access online.   When they receive a letter, they post the outside of the mail on a web site that I have access to.  I can then send the letter to some address near where I am, make a PDF of the inside of the mail that I can view online, or just destroy the letter.  

For drugs I use a mail order service (OptimRX) and have asked my doctor to make 90-day prescriptions.  When I’m getting a bit low with my current supply, then I place an order and request delivery to a location that I am located at.

The key thing to do now is to make sure that all of your bills are switched to send to your email address rather than a physical address.

Percepshun said:
What does one do about mail? Prescriptions? Medical?
I'm sure all of this is covered somewhere in the forums or elsewhere.  I'm open to any guidance and info!

Check this website for Escapees. Lots of info on the mobile lifestyle:

https://www.escapees.com/

I get my prescriptions through Kroger affiliate pharmacies such as Fry's,Dillon's,Smith's,City Market,etc. You can transfer meds online and pickup at any of their stores.

Online banking at credit unions is easy and convenient. Cash back at Walmarts with no ATM charges.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

No reason to be scared, just dive right in, it would be best to take small steps first. Check out a State Park for a weekender, and expand from there.

Since you're retired Military 'roughing it' should be a piece of cake!!

VA will fill your prescriptions and send them wherever you want

Anything you get is going to be way better than half a pup tent.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums  :)

What type of RV do you have?  Are you comfortable driving it?  Do you believe it will be dependable if you go on the road with it?  And last, are the tires in good shape....as this will be a major consideration.

At the bottom of this post are a couple of websites in the signature section.  The edjautoservices  portal
was created just for those like yourself.  It is to make your life on the road more safe, comfortable, and convenient. It's all free so just go ahead and use it's features,  and tell others about it.

In this website, "Is sleeping in your car illegal" (not sure if car = rv or not)  there is an expandable section,
"sleeping in your car laws by state".(shows all 50 states)  You may want to give this a look.

Is it illegal to sleep in your car

Retired military here as well. I want to go so bad...but having to wait until I retire next year. I share you concerns about being on the road.

Bob Wells- Cheap RV living on youtube has a video or several videos on every topic you list. Been following his basic advise for almost 6 months since I jumped and love life out here!