Hello all!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottw115

Reaction score
I have been following on You Tube for the past 6 months or so, and finally decided to join the forum.
Like everybody, I have a story that brought me here, and I will share if people are interested.
I just don't want to get long-winded for nothing.

My intent is (or was) to get a Suburban style of rig to live in right away, and build out a cargo trailer as I go.
I say was because my plans may be accelerated due to health, and possibly having to retire earlier than planned.  I am 63 now.

If I had to jump in tomorrow I think SS and a SMALL pension would sustain me.  I am in hopes to work at least 2 more years, but that's up in the air right now.
How inexpensively do people get by on?  Is 1k$/month realistic?
I would like to explore urban at first, and graduate to boondocking when I figure out what I need.

Well, that's enough babbling out of me for now.  This seems to be a great community of people you have here!

Welcome to the CRVL forums scottw115! Many people manage on $1,000 or less a month. Figure out what expenses won't change like insurance then whatever is left will be your gas, food, etc. budget. You can adjust those expenses by not traveling long distances and staying on public land. Make sure to build up an emergency fund before before you leave.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

The home page of this website has sample budgets for $500 and $1000 per month living.

That of course assumes you are debt free. I am personally planning to get by on $1575 a month, which includes a $470 truck payment, so debt free that would actually be $1105 a month. Once my truck is paid off that money will go back into monthly living or savings.

Also, I (and Bob on the homepage) highly recommend having an emergency fund. Things will happen on the road, and you'll need to have a fund to deal with them. I'd recommend at least $5000, and then a line item in your budget to keep it refilled.

(I haven't actually started the frugal living yet. My last day at my corporate job is Friday July 2nd. So I can't speak from experience how it will work out. That's the plan though.)

We found that finding an area that you really enjoy and stay for the maximum amount of time buying only what you need while you're there. Most likely you'll eventually get bored of the area and want to move on so if that happens try finding another location near by. We learned things the hard way because apparently it's the only way we seem to learn anything.
We went through a lot of money and hassle to learn this too, don't rush, take your time and enjoy the journey.
We rushed to go from 1 spot to another so we could see everything right away and didn't pay attention to what we were eating and it wound us up back home for medical care from a high sodium diet which didn't even cross our minds resulting in me getting edema in my legs along with driving long hours and sleeping in drivers seat. All of which is fixed and we're cleared by the doctor to head back out Friday.
Hope this helped.

I did see the budget, and wonder how realistic it is. 150/mo for groceries? 50/mo for insurance? For me, double that is more accurate.

I have been alone since my wife passed on, so I could uproot. No kids, or family left to even miss me.
I am paying 1500/mo on a house, utilities, taxes and insurance on a place I will never own, just to warehouse a bunch of crap that will be tossed into the garbage when I die.

I have been an industrial mechanic for 30+ years, and am tired of the rat race, especially wet behind the ears management types. I did not take care of myself like I should have, and the bod is rebelling. Arthritis and bone spurs are such joyous fun.

I noticed your vid of Wenacheee, and the 110+ weather forecast. I live in the Columbia Basin, right in the middle of that heat dome. I have never been in higher temps than we have right now, and they say tomorrow will be warmer yet. I may have to break out the asbestos undies!

Basically what you spend on everything not related to housing will stay the same or maybe a little more. An emergency fund if traveling is necessary and should be enough to replace or repair what ever vehicle/RV you choose to live in. Really many people simply sleep in their vehicle with a high quality sleeping bag and have a bucket toilet for emergencies. taking advantage of introductory gym memberships if doing urban for showers, toilet and lounge possibly, library for internet and air conditioning/heat and reading, using Local coupons for places like Subway or a small stove to cook meals at a public day use area may cut some of the costs to start while you are urban. Getting a real ID and passport is a good idea while you still have a physical address. Seeking out several spots to park at night or making arrangements with local businesses (24 hour gym) or friends or maybe a free community college course with a parking pass so you can rotate staying one night in one location once a month helps as well. You should be able to get by on a tank of gas a week which should be your big expense as compared to what you are paying for housing now. You will need to save to follow good weather or make improvements so you can survive the bad weather months. Usually one of the major improvements is a 12 volt refrigerator and a few hundred watt solar system.

This is good info, Bullfrog.
I would like to ease into it, and not go hog wild until I know what I really need.
My idea of 'urban' is smaller cities and towns within a 400-500 mile radius to begin.
I think I could follow the good weather around in that range, although it may be farther south than that for good winter weather from where I am at in North East Oregon.  Picture Pendleton, and we are talking about the same county.

I would eventually like to build out a cargo trailer, it makes the most sense to me.
I was thinking if I had a 'home base', I could put in storage for a month or two, and take off in the tow vehicle.
Maybe some day even getting a patch of sage brush bordering BLM, and have a spot I would not have to move off from every two weeks.

Who knows what it could evolve in to.  I do not often have things go as planned.

I have seen so many old guys in my line of work retire, only to sit down and die within 5 years.
I would like to see if I can do better than that.

My main hobby is metal detecting.  There are so many different pursuits, such as parks and swimming holes, old abandoned areas, or maybe gold nugget shooting.  There are even those who go out in the desert looking for meteorite fragments.  From what I have read, there are varieties that can fetch a pretty penny.

scottw115 said:
Maybe some day even getting a patch of sage brush bordering BLM, and have a spot I would not have to move off from every two weeks.

Lots of us winter down around Quartzsite, AZ. There are LTVAs (Long Term Visitor Areas) that provide water, a dump station, garbage bins and even some bathrooms. You can stay the whole season (7 months) for $180 or $40 every two weeks. With your pass you can jump around from one LTVA to another all season long or just stay put.

You won’t be able to buy a place and pay taxes for the LTVA price.

Also you can get that metal detector out and start hunting gold nuggets. (There is a gold club that’s cheap and fun).

There are lots of options. There was a thread recently that highlighted one of the prospecting clubs that had memberships that allowed camping on their claim while working it I believe. If metal detecting is you thing it may be something that you might benefit from. There are several groups that gather in Quartzsite Arizona on BLM Long Term Stay Areas which allow you to stay the winter months without moving for a very low fee. Several old mining areas were bought by rock clubs and later turned into inexpensive RV parks in the south western US that are good for winter stays as well. Tucson has a world famous rock and gem show that I believe this year will have a smaller version in September as Covid delayed the one that was suppose to happen earlier this year. There is lots of free camping in the area if the wild fires ever let up, but even then there is Cracker Barrel and TTT truck stop has a great hot apple dumpling with ice cream as well as a free place to sleep and showers. PM me if you get out that way I may be there this year.

I did not know about the LTVA situation.
There would be no point in buying a chunk of ground in that case.
Naturally I have read about the RTR gatherings. It sounds like a great place to start, even if I am still working.

It would be in my best interest to stay on the clock for at least 2 more years. More $ in the 401k and higher SS payment. If I can't do it, so be it. I believe this gives me a way to survive, and even thrive.

Are there areas there where you can do some basic vehicle maintenance? Do some people caravan about?

Wow, so many questions!

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m an East Coast snowbird. so I can’t answer your questions about wedding in the west but… I can still say hello and welcome you to the forum and the lifestyle.

First off welcome to the forum.

Little tip about metal detecting and meteorites. You can detect for meteorites but you can not sell them. To sell a meteorite you must have a government permit which of course cost money. Also without the permit you are limited the amount of meteorites you can collect(by weight, 10lbs).

https://www.blm.gov/policy/im-2012-182

Highdesertranger

Interesting.
Man, the things you learn on these forums!

I think there are always some for auction on the Big E. I never knew about a government permit.
I am surprised there is not a metal detector license bureaucracy in place. (Shhh... Whoever said that needs to keep quiet!)