Save water by not washing pans and plates

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooking with dirt? Now, that's innovative!

I will make one pot of veggies in a day and eat that as soup. Easy-clean pots. Keeping it simple.

ok I am finally going to say something.

conserving water is a good thing I am all for it. but saving water by not washing your dishes I don't get. no need to use dirt, alcohol, vinegar, etc

no matter where you are there is water close by that you can use to wash with. get a real map not a google map or a google earth or any of the other 3rd party maps. get a USGS map that is what all others are based on, but the others leave stuff off. I can almost guaranty that everybody reading this is within 2-5 miles of water. even in the desert. if you have an internet signal there is water close by.

I use very little dish soap. in fact 99% of the time I don't use any, maybe once every couple of weeks and then sparingly.

I use very few paper towels. very wasteful. I hate paper plates and plastic utensils, super wasteful. in the long run you are not saving any water by using paper towels, paper plates, and plastic utensils, in fact now your overall usage has skyrocketed.

highdesertranger

I didn't see one single post on the best way to clean up after cooking...even from those that I know for a fact have one or more of these little cleaning machines.  

Dog(s).  They do a great job cleaning, spray a little  water on plates and such from a spray bottle.  Wipe with cloth. 

Of course, now no one will have lunch or dinner at my rig!  hahahaha...
:D

One of my great loves is paper towels and clean rivers. I boil water for squeaky ckean dishes and use no soap. I reserve the used water until cooled and water a plant with it. To do this, dishes must have been wiped or scraped. I use my paper napkin to wipe the plate before rinsing. You could also scrape with spatula for the same result. -crofter

Reminds me of the joke: A guy is talking to an old timer about how clean is the plate he is serving him on. Response from the old timer, its as clean as Soap and Water can get it. His dogs were named Soap and Water.

People do lots of things that I myself would not do and I do things they would not do. I did go to the store and buy some paper plates and bowls this week. Because it is much easier than trying to wash them with a fractured wrist and much safer than removing the wrist splint to keep it dry and then trying not to stress that wrist. I do keep some paper plates, bowls and cups on hand. Good enough for company to eat off of. I don't want to keep extra washable dishware on hand for rare occasions. Of course I could tell them don't show up empty handed, bring your own oh and bring some food to contribute as well. But when I visit them I certainly hope they are much nicer than that to me.

Soap and Water I have heard that story- teehee! Hope the wrist gets better soon-    crofter

Dingfelder said:
I still have trouble doing anything but a water-intensive soak sometimes, when food caramelizes on the bottom and sides of a pot.  Which is exactly what I want it to do.  And also when I eat oatmeal, where it's always a race to keep the sides of a dish from getting coated with oatmeal cement even while you're eating.
Two things to try:  Sprinkle some baking soda on the pan and dampen it slightly.  After sitting awhile, the glazed stuff slides right off.  Works best on stainless.  Do you carry milk with you?  Adding just a splash to the oatmeal after you take it off the heat helps keep it from sticking so much.

I'll try coming at this from a different angle...why not carry an extra 5 gallon water container that is out of the way, that can be doled out sparingly to properly clean plates/pots/utensils with a damp wash cloth, and prevent a hospital visit ?

I’m with you on that one. I don’t get why all these extra things to wash dishes are used. Vinegar, baking soda, bleach and the list goes on. Each one of these things costs a lot more than water.

HumbleBeginnings said:
When people do this, do you use plain white vinegar? And what is the vinegar/water ratio? Do you let it sit? Wipe immediately? Do your dishes smell like vinegar after?

I have so many questions about this.
I use plain vinegar in a spray bottle no water. Wipe all excess food off and then spray with vinegar and wipe off. Im careful to make sure no food particles are left behind.

Cammalu said:
I’m with you on that one. I don’t get why all these extra things to wash dishes are used. Vinegar, baking soda, bleach and the list goes on. Each one of these things costs a lot more than water.

I get and agree with the basic impulse behind what you're saying here, but the things you are talking about using are very inexpensive in the first place, and can also get tremendously diluted when you're using them, or used sparingly as a matter of course.  A gallon of bleach or vinegar can last a long time.

Going a few miles to get some water -- which may or may not be potable but even at best cleans exceptionally poorly -- may have a big opportunity cost (time, gas, losing your spot, getting on people's nerves, etc.) compared to a quick spritz or soak with some diluted chemicals.

Everything has its trade-offs.  I just don't think the cost of chemicals is always fairly evaluated.

water is the universal solvent. didn't y'all pay attention in chemistry class. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
water is the universal solvent.  
Is this why there are always dirty dishes in the sink waiting for the water to dissolve the cooked and baked on stuff?

highdesertranger said:
water is the universal solvent.  didn't y'all pay attention in chemistry class.  highdesertranger

Yeah, it's the universal wait-forever solvent and hope-there's-no-grease-or-forget-it solvent.

I don't have either a lot of patience or religious conviction, so I like actual results.

I don't do paper plates, first you have to buy them, then you have to store them, and you have throw them away. All of that takes space. Water is easier to handle and you aways have water available.

My beagle pre-wash solves a lot of problems:
 - removes food particles and grease.  Usually only need to sanitize.
 - very little liquid needed for sanitizing.
 - minimizes the contaminants added to the environment (food particles, grease, detergent).
 - plates, pots, pans are licked clean; very little residue.
 - the beagle likes doing it, dishwashing is a chore to me.

My standards for dishwashing have noticeably decreased since I started full-timing. Paper towel "rinse", finished with a spritz of vinegar/water, and I call it good!

As long as I'm the only one eating out of my dishes/pots/skillet/cups, I figure it's fine.

I do hate using so many paper towels, though...

I bought the new product from Dawn dishwashing soap. I have not yet examined the ingredients. I will look In the garage tomorrow and report The name and details. It is advertised as being able to cut grease and baked on stuff with a spray, let sit for a few minutes and then wipe with a paper towel. No water and no scrubbing. I have tried in on several pots and fry pans that were “bad”. It works.

What I use is one of those oil drain pan you can buy at the parts store, I have 2 of them. It only takes a few minutes to wash the pan, plate and fork. I use one for wash and the other for rinse.

I have some paper plates but rarely use them. I have “in breakable” plastic plates too but rarely use them. One of my favorite meals is scrambled eggs with salsa. And yes I eat it right out of the frying pan. Why not. If I can eat it out of what I cooked it in that saves a lot of effort.