Safe for a few valuables

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LookinUp

Reaction score
I'm considering a smallish safe I could bolt in to my van store a few things. I'm a birder so I have binos, camera and a scope. I also would like it to hold my laptop. When I'm on the road I sometimes backpack for up to a week, leaving the van at trailheads.  Just curious if anyone else has done something similar and can share ideas. Thanks in advance.

Be aware that having something LEO can interpret as a "secret / hidden compartment" has been criminalized in some jurisdictions.

Just putting it out there, perhaps that law is mostly enforced "in good faith", but since civil asset seizure doesn't even require booking you for a crime. . .

Many do have a fire/water safe in their vehicles. Wirecutter has a review and recommendation but I am not sure it is big enough for your laptop. Others just hide things in places in the van.

I have a safe in my van large enough to hold our laptops and other small valuables when we go off hiking or something. I bolted it right to & through the floor and is then hidden behind a wooden panel. We had multiple military inspections while in Baja earlier this year, and not one of those guys noticed that the wooden panel is removable. It is hidden in plain sight and worth every penny. Is it a secret hidden compartment? No more than the glove box is. But, the law may feel differently. 

The Ohio law says...

"Hidden compartment" means a container, space, or enclosure that conceals, hides, or otherwise prevents the discovery of the contents of the container, space, or enclosure. "Hidden compartment" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:
(a) False, altered, or modified fuel tanks;
(b) Any original factory equipment on a vehicle that has been modified to conceal, hide, or prevent the discovery of the modified equipment's contents;
(c) Any compartment, space, box, or other closed container that is added or attached to existing compartments, spaces, boxes, or closed containers integrated or attached to a vehicle."

Also, having a "hidden compartment" is probable cause to search the rest of your vehicle (which they will tear down to the sheet-metal, I promise you).

These are illegal substance laws. The California law says that the compartment is illegal if it contains illegal drugs. So, having one there to hold valuables is not an issue... although you have have to *prove your innocence* by opening it for an officer which should not be the case IMO.

Sounds like another good reason to N E V E R give consent to a search, no matter what... ever.

Another reason to never go to Ohio...not that I have anything against Ohio, except I would't voluntarily become a criminal just by having a secure storage area for passport and other important items.
Ted

I installed a locking ammo can under my bed, and use it to hold my passport and other sensitive documents when on road trips.  I keep my $80 National Parks Pass in there too, because I don't want to keep it in my glovebox where it could be easily taken during a break-in.  

I attached the ammo can to one of the bed legs with large eye-bolts, flat washers and nylon-lined (Nylock) nuts.  
I also put a length of bicycle inner tube rubber around the bed leg to keep the mounting hardware from rattling on the road.  

This only works if your bed legs are made from plumbing nipples, like mine are.  
I went with a small sized box, suitable for nothing larger than a tablet, but you could always use a larger can and more bolts if you have the room.  

I'm sure a determined thief could get into this security box, but I figure most creeps who break windows on cars to steal items left on the seats or in the glove box, don't generally come equipped for getting into sturdy, steel boxes, fastened to the vehicle and locked.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_69e.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_69e.jpeg
    1.6 MB
Thanks for the input everyone. I had no idea about hidden compartment law, good to know....more research needed. :)

I favor a box with mechanical combo lock....no keys to lose, batteries to go dead, or biometric electronics to fail.
My box is similar to this one, just not as wide. The 'Simplex' 5 button lock has been around for decades and you can set your own combination. These usually come pre-drilled to bolt into vehicle.....use 'carriage bolts', round head under van, nuts inside safe.

This Fort Knox model comes in 3 sizes- 20", 24", 28" wide. Easily fit laptop and other valuables. The small one is  20 x 9 x 16 in. and msrp is $368.

https://www.ftknox.com/shop/cab-security-box-20-24-28/

Cab-Box-Open.jpg

23501-SSP.jpg

Attachments

• Cab-Box-Open.jpg
    Cab-Box-Open.jpg
    19.3 KB
  • 23501-SSP.jpg
    23501-SSP.jpg
    154 KB