RV's are just that Recreation Vehicles

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Corky, I'm all over simple and function over form.

I did love my moho and all the amenities, but I just don't want that much, now.

Isn't it Fore$t River that sells their MH, fivers and TTs as full time dwellings? A quick google search says some of their model$ are indeed built for full time living.

I agree with you too Corky. So many people who buy RVs are afraid to rip out all of the useless furnishings to make the living space fit them. The wasted space and high maintenance options in RVs are reasons people bypass them and chose to build from scratch in a van or cargo  - which is fine if they have the skills and determination to see the project through to the end. Starting with a RV, however, solves some of the hurdles that first time vandwellers have trouble overcoming such as having a fully functioning, ready to use electric system, a complete bathroom, room to stand up and lots of storage space. 

Our RV, which fits our lifestyle perfectly, does not have an air conditioner,  generator, levelers, slide outs, backup cameras or awnings. We really like having a refrigerator and a furnace but almost everything else is pretty simple, easy to use and easy to repair. With a few changes from a standard RV floor plan our little 25' RV has enough space and storage for two people to live in fulltime very comfortably.

Many people seem overly concerned  with maintaining "resale value" of the vehicle, be it a van or an RV, bad move in my view.  I see it better to buy cheap and build both the chassis and the house to needs and plans.  I got a screaming deal on my old monster because of it's age, and the interior being age rotted out.  The mileage was about 55k on a workhorse engine that should be good for 200k, and the house it's self was solid and leak free.  I recovered about half of my base cost selling the parts of it's RV functions I didn't want or need.  I feel like I can spend money on building the MLS I want and maintaining the vehicle and still be invested far less than the cost of a newer unit.

I do not get the better mpg of a newer unit, but then money I saved on the base cost lets me drive many miles at the the reduced mpg.  Also I have the money for a towed that gets great mpg for the biggest share of my driving due to my living style.

Deal of the day, a 1992 Winnebago Chieftain, 24 foot, 75k miles, great house and running gear, interior worn and shredded. $2400.  A friend just bought it, we figure to recoup about $1200 from selling some of the pieces.  When all is said and done my friend will have a great MLS for about $4500.  Gas mileage will likely be between 9 to 12 mpg, maybe better if I can teach him to drive at 55 mph.

Corky

That's one reason I'm a big fan of Toy Haulers (THs) and cargo trailers. Some THs are bare-bones just the most basic needs and they are generally built to carry more weight. They are much more a blank space to build any way you want but the tanks and basics are there.

Cargo trailers are built tough, light and cheap--a perfect blank space canvass to paint your life on. Put in what you want and nothing more and then trouble-free for a long time to come.
Bob

Bob,

The heart of this place is a bunch of people making their living spaces what they want and mobile at the same time.  How we do it is what keeps us talking.

Corky

I've always said that floor plan means everything. I stand by that, factory built, or home built, the same holds true.

OG,
I agree 250%!   

Nothing beats taking time to think, plan and even build cardboard box mock ups

Corky.

My warranty said it would be void if we full timed in it as it wasn't built to handle the humidity. Ours is a 3 season, entry level trailer with no frills. The thing is the things that count like the frame, floor, roof are all built in the same way the more expensive units from the same manufacture are built. I hear few complaint of the brand but I'm told it's because they are simpler and easier to build. I can replace the cheap OSB cabinets a lot cheaper than I can upgrade to a trailer with hardwood cabinets.

I have seen discussions about how people in buses converted are looked down on by those with factory made motorhomes. Buses are built to commercial standards, motorhomes are not. I see schoolies on the back roads we travel and I can tell you that with the clearance they have, they can go places.

" I have seen discussions about how people in buses converted are looked down on by those with factory made motorhomes. Buses are built to commercial standards, motorhomes are not. I see schoolies on the back roads we travel and I can tell you that with the clearance they have, they can go places. "

Also the fact that School Buses are required to be built to Government Standards regarding Rollover Protection , among other rules .
Reinforced steel construction of body and roof system to protect students in the event of a rollover

A heavier vehicle than other vehicles on the road

A passenger compartment that exceeds the impact zone of most other vehicles

A large steel cage to protect the fuel tank against crash impact and leakage

Superior body strength to protect students from side impacts
Prevention of penetration into the passenger compartment

As to your usual RV ? ,
Ever see the pics of one in a accident ?

I live in an RV in an RV park. It's a self converted Residential Vehicle (40 ft Blue Bird All American FE school bus). I have... RV water pump (shurflo), "RV" fresh water tank (ABS Valterra water tank), used black & grey tanks from an old Recreational Vehicle (will be replaced later with vinyl pond line on plywood tanks) and a three stage smart charger. That is the extent of RV stuff in my bus. Everything else came from home improvement/hardware stores.

Bus conversions are never finished.

mockturtle said:
And I always thought it was Multiple Listing Service.  :dodgy:

That was my first thought too but then I have some real estate experience on my resume.

I kept using an acronym in telecommunications and thought nothing of it until I was working with a hospital and they pointed out that RNA meant Registered Nursing Assistant...to me it meant Rang No Answer when I was testing lines for our reviews.... :rolleyes:

corky52 said:
Cyndi,

I live in the van and it's a mess right now, plus I'm a function builder, not a craftsman, much of what I do looks pretty raw compared to what I see posted here by others.  My footstool is an example of my style, a milk crate with a closeout seat pad from Big Lots on it.  Not pretty but extremely functional!

Nothing wrong with function over beauty. It's usually cheap, easy to fix or change and keeps your investment down low. Besides, Goodwill colored stacking crates can be bought pretty cheaply.

I've seen some threads with owners conversions that look like a custom boatbuilder worked on it for a month. Some people are blessed with talent and skill, some with great ideas, some with an eye for color and placement... I've got none of that, that's why Mr. Goodwill and Ms. WalMart are my design team. To each his or her own... :rolleyes:

Hey dusty98, we have the same design team!

I agree totally! No one will ever accuse my van of being pretty, but it works well for me.
Bob

I agree, whatever works for you. if your happy who cares what others think. highdesertranger

Have to watch travel trailer and 5th wheel quality, both inside the house and the frames. Case in point, my brother always has had trailers or 5th wheels. His second trailer was a monster 33 or 34 foot 5th wheel, the absolute biggest that a double axle could carry. I don't remember the brand but it was not an Arctic Fox or other higher end model, more like the mid to lower end. Anyway, within 5 years both axle tubes were drooping from the weight and had to be recurved (heated and bent). The Chinese made brake parts fried every 2-2500 miles and could not be changed over due to some design flaw. The Chinese tires blew out constanly, he finally found some Goodyear load range F at $400 each. The frame outrigger welds were all breaking. The triple slide mechanisms all broke, and 2 of the motors burned out. The cabinets and water system took constant repairs. 5 years and maybe 15,000 road miles, no off road. His fridg was a Dometic that was replaced under warranty. No other rv systems failed.

He lost probably $20-25K in value and traded it off before it went thru another round of brakes and other system failures, and already has trouble with unit #3. He is a retired 34 year OTR trucker with solid maintenance skills and a shop. It's not so easy to find a decent shell or frame anymore. If you find one, get it inspected or take a knowledgeable friend along. Otherwise it could be a real disaster. Whoever bought his will regret it, and the dealer won't do anything for them... Buyer beware...

Latest posts