RV's are just that Recreation Vehicles

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dusty this is all true. I have said it many times what you describe is why I will build mine. I just replaced 2 axles on my buddies trailer that were all bent up he has also gone though many tires. but he off roads his trailer if you off road you must stay well under your gvwr. I have found that load range E LT tires work much better off road for trailers. oh yeah no slides if you plan on off road. highdesertranger

I called my brother, the bad trailer was a Keystone, weighed 11K dry, he figured 12.5 camping.
His new one, a Forest River I believe, is 2 feet shorter and weighs 2500 less, same type axles. He says it's a lot better built even though he does have some issues...

The other thing he said was that it had to be aligned every year or two, the frame would warp/tweak and scrub the tires... Sounds like real American quality there...

Google Keystone rv complaints, give yourself a week to read. On another note, as far as trailer frame and axle alignment:

"It's not unusual for trailer axles to need alignment now and then. I just had mine done with 5000 miles on them because I noticed outer shoulder wear and was leaving for 7 months and 10k miles of snowbirding. My frame shop guy told me he sees brand new trailers that need alignment. Mine were out on caster and camber. They actually bend the axles to correct. A good frame shop should be able to help you out. Cost me $200. Good luck."

You know, my van is sounding better and better... The more the trailer or rec vehicle has, the more can and will go wrong... Parts quality and "skilled labor" being what it is these days. At least they don't have the Tanaka (sp?) air bags in them!

dusty98 said:
Google Keystone rv complaints, give yourself a week to read.  On another note, as far as trailer frame and axle alignment:

"It's not unusual for trailer axles to need alignment now and then. I just had mine done with 5000 miles on them because I noticed outer shoulder wear and was leaving for 7 months and 10k miles of snowbirding. My frame shop guy told me he sees brand new trailers that need alignment. Mine were out on caster and camber. They actually bend the axles to correct. A good frame shop should be able to help you out. Cost me $200. Good luck."

You know, my van is sounding better and better...  The more the trailer or rec vehicle has, the more can and will go wrong...  Parts quality and "skilled labor" being what it is these days.  At least they don't have the Tanaka (sp?) air bags in them!

From a TT forum: Open Roads Forum > Travel Trailers

> Trailer Axle Bent Symptoms & Warranty Replacement

Posted: 03/25/11 01:06am Link | Print | Notify Moderator
"In the couple years I have been on this forum, it is amazing how many times I have seen people (myself included) post about being essentially unable to use their warranty. I had a warranty problem with Jayco, that was really more the fault of their dealer, but annoying none-the-less. I ended up fixing a lot of it on my own dime for a brand new trailer. Keystone seems to be one of the worst offenders I have seen posted about. Sorry, I know this doesn't necessarily help you get their trailer fixed, but eventually they will get what's coming to them from the bad press. As a result, I am very ambivalent about upgrading to another Jayco and would never consider a Keystone or one of their derivatives. I was interested in upgrading to a Montana until I found they were associated with Keystone."

corky52 said:
Cyndi,

I live in the van and it's a mess right now, plus I'm a function builder, not a craftsman, much of what I do looks pretty raw compared to what I see posted here by others.  My footstool is an example of my style, a milk crate with a closeout seat pad from Big Lots on it.  Not pretty but extremely functional!

I'll get the mess under control and take some pictures to post one of these days, just don't expect much, a prospectors cabin on wheels.

Corky

I like the milk crate for a foot stool. This tells me you are thinking and practical. Milk crates can have many uses: a sit upon, tool carrier, trap for catching food, basket for bicycle, dirty clothes carrier,.....
My sink is made from a flower pot with a section of garden hose for the drain, and it works for me.
Keep on building with your own thoughts.

Hope this isn't information overload. It came from a Google search for "recreational vehicle quality" and is from the Good Sam site...

Start quote copy:
"The Good Sam Club’s RV Owners’ Advisory Council (RVOAC) was appointed early in 2007 for the purpose of identifying RV-related issues of major concern to the membership of the Good Sam Club.

A detailed member survey has now been carried out.

The following summarizes the tabulated results of the survey.
It lists members’ concerns, starting with the highest ranked issues first.

Quality of RV manufacturing 98%
Availability of competent RV service 93%
Existence of adequate Lemon Law protection 87%
High fuel costs 86%
Protection from local RV parking ordinances 79%
Availability of suitable commercial RV parks 65%
Federal access user fees (80% retained by federal facility) 63%
Decreased Availability/high cost of RV storage yards 52%
Uniform state special RV drivers licensing 33%
“Most notably, the rather startling result is the 1-2-3 place finish of RV quality, RV service, and Lemon Laws,” said Tom Gonser, chairman of RVOAC. “As the Council said in its report, it's as if RVers were saying ‘build it right’ and if you don't, get it fixed the first time. And if you fail on the first two I want Lemon Law protection.”

What do you think? - do you have concerns over RV quality issues
Give your comments here

Readers' comments:
Latest first
Grumpy Grampa : My wife and I have had 4 new travel trailers in the last 5 years. The first was a Sportsmen (KZ). The second was an Amerilite (Gulfstream). The third a Kodiak (Dutchmen). And the latest an Elkridge (Heartland). The definition of quality construction to these manufacturers is obvoiusly quite a bit different than mine. For instance to hold a water heater access panel in place they screw a 1/8 piece of plywood onto another 1/8 piece of plywood with no backing and of course they use power drivers so the screw holes immediately strip. All the holes cut in the walls and roof for lights plumbing etc. look like they were done by a 1st grader with a dull sabre saw. Foam sealant is gobbed on seemingly at random often missing the important spots (like were the mice might actually get in. Media players are always lowest bidder, one run, units with barely any instructions. These are but a few of the things I have come across and fixed myself because getting dealers to honor the one year warranty is like pulling hens teeth. You may ask why do I continue to buy new ones, simple I am the sucker who was born during one of those minutes, many years ago, and because I have a conscience I always assume others do as well.

M Jesse : Before buy any RV or motorhome, tell him want to live in it for a few days. Even if at their lot, push buttons, lights, do it during rainy season. I did it 3 times. Brand new Keystone, Winnebago and Thor products. If you did this, you would NEVER buy one. Also always weigh it. Way overloaded and unsafe since ZERO regulations. I can start a RV company tomorrow, I don't need anyone to sign off on it, or have it inspected, by DOT or DMV

M Jesse : Before buy any RV or motorhome, tell him want to live in it for a few days. Even if at their lot, push buttons, lights, do it during rainy season. I did it 3 times. Brand new Keystone, Winnebago and Thor products. If you did this, you would NEVER buy one. Also always weigh it. Way overloaded and unsafe since ZERO regulations. I can start a RV company tomorrow, I don't need anyone to sign off on it, or have it inspected, by DOT or DMV

oberent : I will never buy another Good Sam product... Left me and my wife stranded on I-25 for hours. Never found a tow truck to get me to the service facility they recommended. I found a truck to get us there 7 hours later. Sent forms for rembursment and they refused to settle. Good Sam is as bad as some others.

gary conn : i bought a motor home from camper world in fresno, ca. after four trips back to have things repaired, the coach is in worse shape than when i bought it. they did more harm than good to my motor home.

Donna Balmer : Starcraft inc has left us with a 2009 toy hauler that we loved and took very good care of, the floor has rotted out beneath us and they take no responsibilty. We tried to explain that the water came from pulling it in the rain and they will not even look at it. I have nothing good to say anymore about the RV industry and will now step out of this activity and will never purchase another one. We have lost so much money.

Jon : We purchased a 2010 Fleetwood Discovery NEW in April 2011. Issue after issue with this coach. One of the main issues is the fiberglass on the front posts and the end cap have major cracks. The side walls have cracks and there are cracks coming from the window openings. Fleetwood seems to ne OK with all of this. The coach is out of warranty and they have no concern at all. Fleetwood seems to be fine with providing the consumer with a poor product. It has taken a 200k rig and turned it into a major problem and reduced the worth of the rig substantially.

Where did Winnebago go wrong? : So many pissed off Winnebago owners. Where did they do wrong?

Concerned Winnebago Owner : Winnebago might have been good prior to 2008 but to expect quality from them these days is impossible. We are learning that the "Winny" and "Winnebago" brand once revered is all but destroyed...and getting worse. Our brand new Winnebago is definitely a lemon and they will not do anything to fix it properly. They only offer to fix it again, and again, and again... Each time we have it serviced we discover there are a host of items that were never repaired, and new items requiring repair. They will do nothing but "stand ready to service any remaining portions of the Limited Warranty". Winnebago is now known in our family as "Vacation Destroyer". Randy Potter and the rest of the clowns there should be put in prison for the way they treat customers. The have proven unable to provide a vehicle and a service network that is reliable. It only forces Winnebago RV owners to spend countless hours and money to repeatedly fix issues on brand new RVs!

DT in NY : WINNEBAGO HAS FAILED in every way imaginable. I am reading so many stories about horrible experiences with Winnebago owners and their dealings with the Winnebago service network. The same holds true for us in our brand new 2014 ERA. Absolutely unacceptable handling of repairs and a failed service network only letting us down, and other Winnebago owners too, from what I continue to learn. This is true even after spending almost $100,000 on the ERA and having problems since Day 1. Much is being done on our end to correct this - presumably for us and others. Our ph# is (6-3-1) 2-6-9 - 6-3-0-7 if anyone wants to reach out. We are happy to share our progress with you.

Walt : Still trying to get jack repaired on my 2014 Winnebago Vista 32ke. Winnebago agreed to send new one to Camping World where motor home was bought. Its ironic that "Good Sam" did a survey that customers listed service as a dissatisfaction because one of "Good Sam" owns Camping World that I have found to be terrible when it comes to service.

Walt : Bought 2014 Winnebago vista 31ke. While traveling leveling jack will come down. Tried five times to call winnebago service reps. On hold up to one hour each time when I finally hung up phone. Sent email about safety concerns. If jack comes all the way down could cause accident. I live 500 miles from dealer where purchased. Have heard nothing concerning email. Dealer tells me to call Winnebago. Any idea how to pursue?

Kevin : I've a 2013 Winnebago View 24G. Do Not Buy these! The list of things that have broken, are broken are almost too long to list. Electrical Controls: Replaced, Stereo: Replaced, Peeling Laminate on counters: Fixed, peeling again. Screen on Door: 12 months needs replaced. Cable: not connected from to TV's. TV's: Loose connections to Galley TV means it works or not, depending. Toilet Sprayer in bowl leaks and will overflow toilet. Front End: not aligned at Factory as I found out and they drove it 2500 miles to Dealer. This list, as I said is too long. Winnebago VP said "It is a hand built Unit" I asked, "So is it quality hand built in America or Shit because it's hand built?" That was a no response. Dealers have told me they won't sell these and those that are seem to have a deal with Winnebago to get rid of them. Stay Away.

John : These two vehicles are extremely unstable - and the instrument panel is very hard to see in daylight driving. According to Ford Chassis division - these 190 chassis are never allow to go below 35% on the front axle - this is there BARE minimum To find out if your 30t has a weight problem on the front axle, do the following. (1). Load your vehicle up in the front bins the way you would normally, when traveling to a dry camping area ie. - a place that has no facilities (2). Also, add about 100 to 150 lbs (overflow) to the rear cargo bins on the passenger side of the vehicle. (3). Add a full tank of fuel and a full tank of fresh water. These two things are a must when dry camping - fuel for the unit, as well as your generator, and water for drinking, cleaning, toilet, etc. Add a car w/a tow dolly, for exploring and going to town for additional supplies - not to exceed 500 lbs on the hitch. If you asked your salesman, if your new winnebago can do these things. (Our salesman said yes!) Then you are ready to go dry camping. Next step - take the vehicle to a truck stop w/a certified scale and weigh the entire vehicle - leaving the car off the scale - only the tongue of the dolly should be actually be on the scale (because you want the weight that's directly on the hitch only - not the weight of the car. (You had better sit down before you read your weigh ticket - your in for a shock ). It will most likely be around 800 - to as much 1200 lbs light in the front - well below the 35% minimum that Ford says no manufacturer is allow to go below. How to figure the 35% - is as follows - Take the gross wt. on the scale ticket then times it by point .35. This reading will show how much weight should be on the front axle. (Look at your scale ticket for the current weight on the front). Now you know and I know, that when you bought your RV, you wanted it to do all the various types of traveling (such as - going to parks and using there hookups and traveling without water, however, you still want to bring your car, so you can get around town. Well, that presents another problem - (without water in the fresh water holding tank the vehicle leans to the drivers side because - starting on the drivers side in front of the rear axle is - the propane tank, (1) slide, two baggage binds and holding tanks. Behind the rear axle on this chassis is the fuel tank, (1) slide, under the slide is a full size tire and rim, and located all the way to the rear, is the generator. On the passenger side is (1) slide, 2 baggage bins. Behind the rear axle is NOW a empty fresh water tank and two (2) smaller baggage bins. Let me GET to the point - if you drive this vehicle and it doesn't handle properly - NOW you know why. If you think Ford will help you make winnebago stop building this RV - think again - even though the unit does not meet Fords front axle minimums - the only thing they will tell you is (quote - we only sell the chassis - we are not responsible for what Winnebago, or any other manufacturer puts on top of them. Winnebago insists that they consult w/Ford about what they are building, and ask Ford what chassis to use. The BOTTOM LINE is YOU are the person who purchased this vehicle (that) now won't handle properly! You put your hard earned retirement money into it, and now your left holding the bag - trying to fight two (2) giant corporations who refuse to except any wrong doing or even to fix the problem. Why Hell - I even had a government official suggest I add cement to the front end to add more weight to the front. Pretty stupid right, I actually thought he was kidding, (he wasn't ) (What a joke)! Your government in action. I told the gentleman you put cement in the Front of Your brand new RV, but for me that statement was absolutely absurd. What do think? However, do not despair, I will not give up. If you are having the same issues like me, and not getting anywhere with these giant corporations. There will soon be a blog where you can go to with your complaints about these two (2) Winnebago/ itasca 30t models, and join a possible class action suit. I can't even explain how pissed off I am! I also suggest you write to the following: your States Attorney Generals office, Better Business Bureau (BBB), and especially your Senator in DC. Also, put in a complaint w/national highway transportation safety administration (NHTSA), Hopefully, all these senators, will come together, and formulate better federal LEMON Laws to protect the consumer. I would hope they would also institute safety regulations identical to those of commercial vehicles. After all, class "A "motorhomes are considered high profile vehicles and should come under the same building/safety requirements. However, I really don't have much confidence in our government doing anything, after all, big corporations are now pretty much in control - having been given the green light by the U.S. Supreme Court. (corporations now considered as individual people). Another joke! Anyway, I digress, sorry! Therefore, if your having problems as I described above - take action. Do not take this lying down! FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT that is what our Country is really all about. GOOD LUCK!

Jim fields : I'm having major handling issues w/2013 itasca sunstar 30t. After getting the same old line from Winnebago about nothing being wrong with their units, I decided to check around the country via the internet , and sure enough, what I found out was very disturbing. Not only was I not alone, but all the people I contacted, had the exact same story. Come to find out, the handling issue was also a problem with the winnebago vista 30t as well. Even more disturbing is winnebago's exact same response to all these people who spent there hard earn money on these terrible, terrible, RV's. Ford has become well aware of Winnebago's missuse of their F-53 190 wheel base chasis w/a 132 inch over hang. When these vehicles are loaded out w/water and fuel etc. they will not handle properly @ highway speeds - and really, really, really bad w/winds of 15mph or more. This doesn't even include a car being towed w/a car dolly. Add a car into mix, and your an accident looking for a place to happen. There is hope however, there are people out there getting together to start a class action suit against Winnebago. So, if you are having problems with these Winnebago's, you need to step up and be heard and not let big corparations ruin your dreams of a great life style on the open road. Join in the action against these people - don't let them get away with this kind of robbery. Call your senators - national safety people - and especially Ford about Winnebago's misuse of their chasis. With all of us sticking together, we will defeat these types of corporations, who neither care for our families safety or our life savings! To these people, we are nothing but a dollar sign. It's all about profits - how sad - winnebago used to have a great product, but it seems that they have chosen a different path - money before safety. So if your thinking about a new RV - Winnebago is not what you think, (BUYER BEWARE). I would tell where and how to join this class action, but, then winnebago would have to much infomation. Good Luck!

Ruth Harris : Winnebago has had a lot of claims on handling issues with there new line of vista and itasca model 30t. Ford has been informed about this problem many, many times. Even though these vehicles look nice - they will not handle @ highway speeds w/normal fuel - fresh water. If you add a tow vehicle behind been them ( they are really bad ). Main problem - these vehicles fall below Fords minimum of 35% of weight on the front axle. This makes them very light in the front, causing handling problems @ highway speeds. What you find out is Ford is aware of this situation - via all the complains they have received. However, Ford refuses to tell Winnebago to stop using (f-53 ) these chasis even though they know about the problem. This is what you call washing each other's hands, because Ford sales so many chasis to winnebago, they don't want to rock the boat. It has become quite clear to me that neither company cares for the safety of our families. Remember, it's all about profits! The government needs to get all the email and phone records about these complaints, and make both companies accountable. Oh, I m sorry, I forget, there probably in their pockets too! If you want a thrill - go to a dealer have them load one out as I described and go for a ride w/ about 15 mph of wind - just hang on!

Terry Lee : Bought a Winnebago Vista 30t. - it does not handle going down the freeway. This is a 2013 model w/three slides. This is the exact model as the istaca sunstar 30t. These models are the worst handling units you will ever drive. How come Ford has not forced winnebago to stop building these units on there F53 chasis is beyond me? I am very surprised that the national transportation safety people or the DOT haven't told winnebago to recall these vehicles, because, when fully loaded and towing a little car w/a tow dolly these vehicles will be out of specs per Ford. Per Ford the axle in the front can't be less than 35% of the rear. When fully loaded the vehicle is only about 31%. This makes the front float and not handle @ highway speeds. Ford does not allow there chasis to be below 35% without the RV maker recertification in writing from the manufacture to the owner. This relieves Ford of any liable, and puts it on Winnebago. Winnebago refuses to to say they have a problem, and so far Ford has not stepped in to force Winnebago to stop building these units on this particular chasis. From checking around the country with various owners these units - according to them winnebago refuses to help @ all - claiming there is nothing wrong with there units! Question - where is Ford? Where is the federal government? Dot, national safety people, etc. If this was a greyhound Bus or a tractor trailor issue I guarantee you the Dot would have someone in Jail! Ford and Winnebago better hope no one gets killed in these RV's ! Because (1) Ford refused to act and (2) Winnebago doesn't want to admit there is a problem. Reminds me of GM - unsafe @ any speed and Fords problem w/a fuel tank on the pinto and other vehicles. They would rather do the math - how many deaths verses recalls! Therefore, if your looking for a New RV, consider yourself warned!

Jim thorn : My wife and I recently purchased an Itasca model 30t made by Winnebago in 2013. Buyers be where - this unit is very unstable! It sits on a 190 wheel base with 132 inches hanging off the rear. It has 3 slides with 2 on one side. The problem is that on the drivers side it has a propane tank just behind the front tire - then the first slide -then baggage bins. Behind the rear axle on the same side is holding tanks - fuel tank - rear bedroom slide full size spare w/rim and at the very back is the generator. Now on the passenger side, is one slide - then behind the rear axle is the fresh water holding tank. With a full tank of fuel and loaded forward baggage bins - with only about 150lbs of cargo loaded to the rear ( you don't dare load anymore). This vehicle will not scale out properly. Per Ford, the front axle should be at the very least 35% to 40% of the rear! Th unit leans to the drivers side and sets down in the rear. Winnebago says to add water to the fresh water tank, to make the unit set level (left to right). I explained to them, that if you do that, it makes the rear even heavier and the front end worse. Then, if you pull a car w/a tow dolly (little tiny car) say Kia, it makes the front end even lighter. We have put 800 miles on this unit. We decided to park it! This vehicle is so unsafe that it makes you wonder where the U.S. Transportation safety people are? If this were a plane or auto instead of a RV Class "A" it would never be allow on our highways. If think I'm just complaining to be complaining I'm not! I have over 30 year over the road experience. I've driven semis for 25 years and buses for 6 years (both for greyhound and city transit ). This piece of crap will stay parked ( until I can the get the government involved). I would gladly give it to the U.S. Transportation safety admin for testing! At least that might force the government to create over site laws and safety regulations - to equal those of the car industry, Think how old, the group of people are on average, that are driving these units! I'm no spring chicken, but I've seen people older then me driving these RV class A units, with a lot less experience then me! Anyway, buyer be where?

Ron Fournier : I brought a new 5th wheel 4 months ago. The dealer had to replace the front cap and they really mess it up. and I been going around with them on this. Can I get my money back?

Karen : Buyer beware! Winnebago is not the quality RV manufacturer that maybe it once was. We have had nothing but trouble with our Adventurer (2008, purchased new) since our first trip. As we speak it is in the shop again. I wish we could afford to get rid of it. The only good thing I can say about it is it has a great floor plan, but I would give that tip for reliability. Wish we had bought a Tiffin. The letter we had in response to the one we wrote was a "gee, sorry, that's too bad" response. Shame on you Winnebago.

Regular Motor Home Owner : My wife & I ACCIDENTLY happened to stay at a resort in Spearfish, SD (Resort was Fantastic) that was hosting a Newell Motorhome Rally. On at least 5 occasions, I was eye ball to eye ball with several Newell Owners and they EACH turned away after I made the typical, "Good Morning", How you doing?" ...... I talked with several other NON Newell Owners at the Resort and each had the same experience. Shunned by LOW LIFE's riding in OUT DATED, OLD, SMELLY, MOTORHOMES who thought they were better than everone else. Wouldn't even respond to "Hi", How Are You"? Absolute SNOBS!!! There were several Prevost MotorHome Owners there enjoying South Dakota's beautiful surroundings as were we. They (Prevost Owners) were down to earth and actually WAVED at everyone. These Newell owners think they're at the top of the food chain when actually they have outdated, broken down, UGLY motorhomes. WHEN we move up from our 2012 40' Motorhome we WILL NOT even look at the Newell line stricly because of their customers attitiude. He's one for you.... What's the difference between a Porcupine and a Newell Owner? With a Porcupine, the pricks are on the OUTSIDE!!!!! Beware!!!!

Shattered Dreams : We started to dream about the RV life. The more we read about the rampant poor quality, the more discouraged we have become. Why are there no certified inspectors for RV as there are for boats. The first step in buying a boat is to get a marine survey. Why are there no RV surveyors ?

Grant Forrest : We are Good Sam members,and live in Canada, and will be retiring and purchasing 27'to30' 2003-2008 used unit within next 3 months. Considering purchasing in the U.S.,but seems that almost all the units we see online have unbelievably low mileage. Can the dealers spin odometers back, or are they subject to the same laws as in Canada?--ie: can the purchaser require "Vehicle History"? Have a few motor homes that we prefer, but concerned about the # of negative online comments. Also, we would appreciate if you could indicate the top 4? manufacturers. Thanx a Bunch! grant

joe c : we are at winnebago ind. right now. we have been here for 20 days and our list has grown to over 50 items to be repaired.the quality at winny has become so poor that there are 40 or more people here who are unhappy with their new coaches.my problems range from minor to very serious.we will not be able to leave for another week. also they have made a few mistakes while working on my coach....they over filled my black tank one day and then gave it back to me to clean. there was nasty black water in our coach and basement . we spent the whole weekend cleaning it and the smell.they did not even apoligize. the attitude by the management here is very poor and cold hearted.they are in trouble. i spoke to everyone who has come here the past 3 weeks and no one left happy or satisfied. very dark mood in the shop and service center. it's like...they know the quality is bad but they are hoping you will not notice. as i am writing this they informed me that they cannot fix a cracked tile because it is under a wall. they would have to remove the wall and it would take 3 days to do. it is friday before labor day...i will have to come back or bring it to camping world....NOT! i just spent $340k on a new ellipse and my heart is sick. there is no turning back but if i could....

Janice Murray : We own a 2006 R Vision Trail Sport which we brought new. The floor became spongy. Upon investigation under the sink we see the frame protruding through causing the stove to begin caving in!

Diane : Has anybody had an issue with the interior walls of your RV?

Bruce : Purchased a 2012 Winnebago View 24M in Florida. Traveled to Arizona. The fresh water pump doesn't work. Tried to get service in Arizona, Lazy Days in Tucson wouldn't service it, even though we purchased it from them in Florida. LaMasa RV in Mesa, AZ, couldn't get to it until mid March. Now we are heading back to Florida with no fresh water system. A piece on the roof I notice wasn't in the correct position. Luckily I got up on roof and notice it was being held with one out of four screws. I removed it completely, would have real been nasty if it came off the roof and hit a car in back of us, at 80 MPH. Overall Winnebago quality is very poor, there are other issues. It's the first Winnebago product and it will diffidently be the last."

End of quote copy...

Oh, the above article was from roaming times.com, entitled "Good Sam Club highlights concerns over quality issues"

It goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on... Scary on and on... I quit reading after about 100 comments. From the site you'd think that every rv out there since about 2004 was a bunch of 2x2's about to burn...

Now my old 82 GMC based class C was no Prevost but I fixed the rotted out overhang myself and learned what its quirks were. Never broke down except one time when the original 16 year old alternator failed... No the cabinetry wasn't solid cherry but everything worked. I haven't owned any motorized rv since then, so cannot really comment, however, based on my brothers 5th wheels... The above post is closer to right than wrong. I think Karen and Jesse (?) like their Bounder ok, but my reading on the big class a and c forums elsewhere highlights a lot of issues with all brands. I was surprised that sooooo many Winnebago owners post 2008 are unhappy, I thought that Winny was still sound...

Like anything else, if you don't pay your help well and try to cut corners to pad your executives pockets, the first thing to disappear is quality and the second is post sale service...

Lots of gripes, about half, from what I've seen are from cheap builds and about half are from misuse of the equipment.

I find that if you can find a good chassis with a good house, then you can build from there.  You have to make the decision to spend the money to make what you want and not worry about the resale value.

Corky 

Yes, it's true, especially for 70's and 80's lower end and maybe up to the 90's for higher end rv's. After that it seems to get dicey. Case in point, LazyDays builds a nice rv. Course they don't turn them out by the thousands... Same with some of the older 90's DP class As, real quality units. I think these posters in the Good Sam survey were upset because they had dropped from 40-100 large and gotten that kind of crap construction. Maybe some were actually up to 150K. I'd be pissed too if I had spent all that and gotten such poor quality.

Now with some decent woodworking skills and basic handyman knowledge you can build or rebuild and make things pretty nice, just takes time...however these folks didn't want to do that, so they bought new.

I know that there are several on this forum that drive/reside in older pre 1990 rigs, some in the 70's, but they are the 1% ers of the rv world on the other end... Anything that old, be it a van or class anything, is no longer a manufacturing quality defect if it breaks as it's exceeded its planned life by twice at least.

There's a thread on the class c forums about a guy back east that bought a rotted out old like 1975 dodge 440 based rig, and completely tore out, I mean gutted everything... He rebuilt every stick inside it and bought salvage appliances etc... It was a 200 plus page thread over several years. There's an example of loving craftsmanship that you'll never see in anything.

Our forum is made up of a lot of do it yourself ers as anyone living in a van, car, truck or even an older class A/B/C has to be thinking about how to fix it cause in general, few of us have the resources to buy a new one. And if we did we probably wouldn't.

I had two neighbors a few years ago that both bought 32 foot Thor Class A's. One spent 95 large and the other a bit over 100K. Neither had money worries and both wanted brand new. One could fix it if he had to, the other just wrote the proverbial check for everything. Of course both had S&B homes worth over 200K as well as sheet metal sitting in their driveways worth 50-70K so they weren't hurting... I don't see the posters who are contributing a lot here to be in that category, and frankly, am glad. It was discouraging to be on the class whatever rv forums because the standard question posted was "which Class A or DP should I buy, my budget is $250" or it was something like: I got my new 201_ Brand X motor home or 36 foot fiver today...

I just couldn't relate. I haven't even owned a vehicle they would have towed, much less lived in. But, they are the ones that keep people working in these factories and dealerships, not me. I'm a parasite, I guess. (Pretty well fed one too). :)

So, glad to be around down to earth plain folk. (Hope I haven't insulted any of you...)

Rusty Dusty, musty but trusty

Not that I have any problems with those who do, but I wouldn't buy a Prevost or similar MH even if I won the lottery and had the bucks to blow. I would buy a nice, barely used (or maybe even new if I was really flush) well built travel trailer or toy hauler like this one: http://www.dreamchasersrv.com/rv/WORK-AND-PLAY-36FKBS-TH0015241 I would modify it for FT boondocking with a huge solar system and my DW and I would start our FT retirement early. I like my 08 F-250 and plan to keep it till I die, or until it dies, which ever happens first ;) , but I might have to trade it in for a good, used F-350 to safely handle a trailer this size, if so blessed.

My objection to a Prevost or similar high end RV would not be quality per se, but value. What practical difference could a million dollar MH give me that a lesser, well made RV could not? For instance, Spacecraft, DRV, etc. are top quality units, but I couldn't see spending six figures on any trailer. I could not even imagine spending a million+ on a MH, no matter how much money I had. I would not blow that much dough on any residence. To each his own. Hopefully I think I would have the good judgment to spend any windfall responsibly, enjoying what life I have left, and helping others to do the same, resources permitting, of course. I hope I would never become afflicted with the disease of conspicuous consumption, otherwise known as "keeping up with the Jones" - buying things you don't really need, simply because you can. Money can not buy happiness, only eliminate suffering and misery for those who lack basic necessities. Many believe that our soul ends at death. I prefer to think that the quality of my existence after life will be determined by how I treat others and the good I do while in this one - part of which is being a good steward, using resources wisely. No, I can't help all the starving children in Africa, but I can sure live a modest life allowing me to share my excess with my neighbors if they are in need, rather than waste it irresponsibly.

"Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." James 4:3

Chip

Buy what puts a smile on your face, be it top end, low end or a diy build.

I've come to realize there are four kinds of people. Those who are rich, those who are poor, those who are poor who want others to think their rich and those who are rich who want others to think their poor.

Sometimes rich or poor is a state of mind. Some of the richest people I know do not have any money, but the love and respect of their family and friends. Being wealthy does not mean you are rich.

Remember Leona Helmsley?

corky52 said:
I'm about two-thirds done with the conversion of my Trans-Van from an RV to a Mobile Living Space, and looking at the changes.  RV's are designed to be lived out of, not in.  RV's are designed for maximized sleeping places, not for true living spaces.  About half or more of the RV hardware is best removed and sold, it is high operation and energy use costs with lackluster durability.

I got rid of the RV AC, RV heater/furnace, the RV water heater, and totally rebuilt the interior for better space use and far more storage.  The RV couch and chairs were not comfortable, trying to be to many things while doing none well. I re=installed the reefer with twice the insulation around it, it was a toss-up on replacing it with a compressor unit, may still change it out.

I did keep the captains chairs upfront, the addition of a footstool makes them fairly comfortable and using them adds to the living space available for other things.  I'm now rebuilding the cooking areas and adding more storage .

I guess my main point is that anything designed for Recreation isn't all that great as a living space.  There are some great RV shells out there that get passed over because the interior isn't in great shape, give them a second look with the idea of gutting and rebuilding them.

Corky
I'm jumping I kind of late, but wanted to address the original comment.  I haven't read all the responses, so excuse me if I'm being redundant.

I think it depends on the RV you purchase. RVs are generally designed for for people who want to travel part time without the inconveniences of true camping. Our first RV was an 11 year old camper van. Our goal was not to live in it, but live out of it.  We like spending our time outside as much as possible. But as retirement approached, we realized it was a bit too small for long term living (anything more than a month, and we got on each others' nerve lol).

So we spent years looking and researching: everything from Bs to Cs and As, to fivers and trailers. We like 'basic'. We found floor plans we liked, but were trying to keep things on the small side.  Most of the things we found were too much like a house, which we didn't want, had too much stuff in it, and would be more difficult to get into some areas we like.

We stumbled into a truck camper after almost buying a C; it offered, for us, enough space for a bit of separation at times, all the necessities conveniently placed, but small enough to heat efficiently and easily make modifications, such as adding solar and 12v recharge stations without long runs of wire.

So I think the 'living in vs living out of' issue is one basically of space, expectation, and mental attitude.  Some will want to spend more time, or be forced to spend more time, inside than others - so more space is necessary. How much more? That depends on the individual(s). 

An RV can be a functional home, ready made with one's necessities.  It's just a matter of making a choice based on ones wants and needs.

Opinions on build quality:

For us, our biggest concern was the durability of the transportation: that's where we put our money. I wanted something that I could sleep easy with, no matter where or how far out we were. The truck I chose should outlast me.

The house unit we purchased was on the low end of the price spectrum for what we got, so I figured the build quality was no the best, and I figured rightly: poor design on the bathroom floor - I'll be replacing the pan and adding support beneath, a lot of angled screws and loosening trim, and not insulated for extreme cold weather. But I can change all those for a lot cheaper than buying a pricier unit, and I can change them to my liking. All the house systems were properly installed and good manufacturers. The frame is welded aluminum and have had no issues there. As for insulation, that would be a PIA, but it's not an issue as we choose travel direction based on temperature.

So low build quality on the house portion is not necessarily a deal killer, IMO, if you can handle the fixes, or just live with them.

"So low build quality on the house portion is not necessarily a deal killer, IMO, if you can handle the fixes, or just live with them."

There it is in a nutshell, so to speak. It takes some willingness to do what the $8 an hour guy didn't know or didn't care or had no time to do... As long as there is a hardware store or lumberyard/big box store nearby, you can get the tools and the parts and pieces to modify your rig as needed. If the major systems are sound then the rest is cosmetics, mostly. The long post with issues that I put up was full of major issues that the average owner couldn't fix himself, or he had a warranty that was priced into the unit cost that he wanted to make use of.

When we purchase our older units we expect problems. When they buy new they don't.

Our lightly used Class A was in great shape - when we bought it. But they really are not made to be lived in. The flimsy interior in ours is made that way for weight, or so they tell us. It looked good, but little by little, much of it has needed repair or replacement.

If we ever get another one, we will look for one in good mechanical shape that needs some quality TLC inside. But that's what we already have, so......

I lived on boats for years. Hard to beat a open top refrigerator with 4" or more of insulation. http://www.novakool.com/products/conversion_units.htm A side door reefer gains a lot of heat every time the door is opened. Other than that there is not much I would change. Oh maybe one more thing. I would rip out the furnace. But then I live in Southern Nevada. I am not going North for the winter. Mr. buddy during the day if necessary, blankets at night.